Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno yet--but what we are thinking of might surprise you!

Can't wait!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Glad to hear that!

Apparently from the reader reactions (and my daily exercise taking boxes of books to the P.O.) GG3 seems to be OK....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine arrived today. The lady that packs them (and lets you live with her) did her usual fine job of packaging. Thank her for me.

Oh, and the book looks good too!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I'm nearly done...it was a good read. Especially enjoyed the chapters on rifle balance and how bullets expand.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! More than one reader has said they like the info on how bullets expand.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JB, mine arrived today...I really enjoyed the intro, something I would usually skim over. Thumbed through the rest and looks like I have a few hours of good reading ahead.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine has just arrived overseas!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Alvaro,

Thanks for the report! Hope you like it.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey John:

Like everyone else I'm really enjoying Gack III. I have a quick question, though. On page 80 there's a picture of a person kneeling beside an antelope, and from the bolt release it looks like the rifle - or at least the action - is by the late Montana Rifle Company. But I would swear that the barrel has a step in it, which is not something that MRC ever did to my knowledge. Can you shed any light on it?

Once again, thanks for all you do for us.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

Yeah, now that you pointed it out, it does look like that.

But I looked at the original digital color photo closely (meaning I "blew" it up on my computer screen) and the barrel has a camo finish--which isn't visible in the black-and-white conversion. The "step" is actually a pale line in the camo.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 338Rules
Just placed my international order, to take advantage of Eileens sale on
Upland bird cooking & Shotguns for Wingshooting.

Will advise about structural damage to my credit wrt shipping charges.

If there’s a GAck IV, we have to talk seriously about an e format volume !

I have explained here why we don't do e-versions of our books. There are two ways to do it: One is easily pirated, and the other tends to garble numbers/data, which doesn't work with handloading or game recipes.

USPS parcel arrived today ! Thanks
Can’t wait to dig in for some enlightenment 🥴

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I concede defeat to media rate shipping. i ordered in good time, hoped to give it as a birthday present to family member, and buy my copy shortly thereafter. No Book still don't have one, I have had bigger, and more costly disappointments from USPS....., frantic scramble to find substitute gift...... ( really wasn't necessary , I told them he came home to the ranch to shoot doves. 4 hunts, 4 limits handled the gift in my mind.....)
Can I just call , give a credit card, and pay for FIRST class postage, and hope to get one....
I'm not a kid needing instant gratification, but at age 70 , I am interested in reading it before I pass.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Sorry to hear about that. We generally have had media-rate books show up in West Texas in a few days, including several recently. But Eileen needs to your real name to track down the problem, or correct it. You can call 406-521-0273 or e-mail riflesandrecipesgmail.com.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
mel5141,

So did you contact Eileen? We've only had about half a dozen orders not show up in over a decade of mailing tens of thousands of books--and her policy (the website is her company) is to ship another book when one fails to arrive. But she can't do that unless you tell her. (Usually the original order eventually shows up--once in a great while a book gets caught in what we call the Denver Vortex, where it stays for up to a month before finally spinning out of the trap. In that case you can keep it too.)

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know this doesn't help things John, but you are not alone. I have had more books disappear since COVID 19 started. I am not sure why. The only thing I do know is that the books were in the custody of the post office, a branch of the federal government. And as we all know, the government does not make mistakes. crazy So...what happened to them?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
This is the first one that disappeared of ours--though some were delayed while the USPS was taking it's "summer vacation," when sorting machines were being removed from USPS offices.

What's interesting about mel5141's post is that he has STILL not contacted Eileen (who is know for good customer service), and in fact hasn't even logged onto the Campfire since his post. Her phone # and e-mail address are right at the top of the www.riflesandrecipes.com home page, if some problem occurs--but instead he chose to whine here.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wouldn't worry about him, John. He's likely a heckler. If he has a legitimate problem, he knows what to do.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks Steve. Was never worried, but am ticked off. It's easy enough to contact Eileen and correct the problem.

If he'd called to order the book and mentioned it was a time-related gift, she would have suggested priority mail rather than media mail. But media mail has been working well again lately.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
W don't need any more whiny little b!tches; but yet, there he is! Mel5141, LOL

Last edited by WAM; 10/06/20.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mel just PM'd me. There were extenuating circumstances on his side, the reason he did not respond here, and everything is OK.

John Steinbeck
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1234, 160user, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.