Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ever since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some 17 years ago my doctors have told me I needed to eat breakfast. All my life, even as a kid, I never ate breakfast. All through my life I would be sluggish in the morning, in school it was my morning classes I had trouble with. I did eat breakfast in boot camp and I know it helped me then, but after I got out I stopped.

So I started eating breakfast 10 days ago. Refrigerator oatmeal seems good. 3/4 cup whole oats with a pinch of raisins, a spoon of stevia and some cinnamon and 1 cup of milk. I heat it up in the microwave before I eat it. The thing is I seem to be loosing weight slowly. No other change in my diet, just that. Someone told me it triggers an insulin response so I have more energy and am more alert.

I guess, I don't know.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If it works it works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Each person is different. If I eat breakfast, all I want to do all day is eat. If I fast until lunch, I feel better, all my digestion issues seem to go away, and I am actually not hungry.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oatmeal cleans me out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Losing the weight could be a sign of a reduction in chronic inflammation. If so, booya!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Losing weight has always been a challenge for me. I’m not way out of shape. 6’3” “a solid 250.” I’d like to be 210-220 but have always had a sweet tooth and like my vittles.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 09/24/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to lose around 40 pounds. Losing weight sucks.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There's some impressive weight loss in the Tylenol thread...with pictures...

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
According to TRH, stevia has estrogen like cpds. I would substitute Xylitol.

You might try you tube Pound a Week Soup.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I have always heard 5-6 light meals a day and snacks in between. I guess the operative word for many would-be "light".

Many days I have come home from working in the field 12 hours and the wife asked me what I had to eat and dinner is ready... and I tell her I don't recall eating at all.

I guess that is a genetic thing for my family. My grandfather and father both ate most of their food around 9 p.m.

I try to do better... fruit and cans of stuff.

A year or three ago the doctor told me I had gallstones pretty bad and I should try beets. I hate beets. Went in Walmart and got a couple of cases of the $0.54 canned beets...

Left a couple of cans on the dashboard of the truck as a reminder to eat. A month or so later and four or five cases of beets later... no more gallstones.

Last edited by CashisKing; 09/25/20. Reason: More info

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I was diagnosed as being Type II diabetic 13 yrs. ago I weighed 310#, a visit with a diabetic dietician plus a regular dietician taught me how to eat to lose weight and to manage my blood sugar. Basically I limited carbohydrates, a simple way to do this is to think of carbs as foods that are white. I cut out white bread entirely substituting wheat, rye, multigrain & pumpernickel, I also eat only small portions of rice and potatoes. Eating three meals at regular intervals is important as well as portion control and having snacks between meals and drinking lots of water. I read package labels and try to eat items that have less than 25 carbs per serving, snacks for me are pretzels and cheerios plus a 12 oz. bottle of water. By following this diet I have ben able to lose 60# and keep by a1c between 6.0 - 6.5. The weight came off slowly at first, 10# after changing my diet, I don't obsess about it and only weigh at doctor visits. Plateaus are to be expected and cannot be allowed to discourage, my weight remained the same for an entire year before starting to steadily drop towards my goal. I walk 1 mile a day every day and try to work in a 2-3 mile walk a couple of times a week. I believe my plan is pretty simple, I am within 10# of my goal and at 71 my blood pressure as well as my diabetes is well controlled. I have not backslid and have been able to keep to this plan.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't know about diabetes. But the biggest mistake people make when trying to lose weight is to not eat enough. What you eat is the important thing. Sugar, and foods like white bread, potatoes, and many others simply turn to sugar once eaten are the problem. Most fruits do the same.

When you go a long time between meals, or eat very little your body naturally slows metabolism and converts what you eat to fat. It is in survival mode and trying to ration your energy for later. When you eat often and the right foods your metabolism remains high and that food is burned up immediately. With a higher metabolism you move more and burn even more calories. Of course you have to eat the right foods, and you can't eat more than you're burning.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Lucky on the weight thing, haven’t gained much since high school.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Ever since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some 17 years ago my doctors have told me I needed to eat breakfast. All my life, even as a kid, I never ate breakfast. All through my life I would be sluggish in the morning, in school it was my morning classes I had trouble with. I did eat breakfast in boot camp and I know it helped me then, but after I got out I stopped.

So I started eating breakfast 10 days ago. Refrigerator oatmeal seems good. 3/4 cup whole oats with a pinch of raisins, a spoon of stevia and some cinnamon and 1 cup of milk. I heat it up in the microwave before I eat it. The thing is I seem to be loosing weight slowly. No other change in my diet, just that. Someone told me it triggers an insulin response so I have more energy and am more alert.

I guess, I don't know.

That breakfast, you might as well eat a doughnut. IT is FULL of sugars and carbs..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Oatmeal cleans me out

What doesn't, besides Tylenol?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Losing weight has always been a challenge for me. I’m not way out of shape. 6’3” “a solid 250.” I’d like to be 210-220 but have always had a sweet tooth and like my vittles.

Same here (6’4-6’5) and 250-260. I can’t seem to get to 220ish.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There is a befuddling amount of diet information "out there." It is nigh impossible to find diet information that doesn't have a large body of conflicting information. I have come to believe that our bodies are all substantially different in the way they process intake. So much so that there isn't a one-size-fits-all solution. OP, if this seems to be working for you, roll with it. Ride it out for a while then consult with your doctor. Your doctor will likely want to run some labs on you to see how things are going.

Best wishes brother.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've lost 25lbs in the last year, I do alot of the 16hour fasting. My big meal is lunch, a lite dinner, and rarely breakfast. I grown found of humus and pretzel chips to snack on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Diabetes is about controlling blood sugar. Right?
Then lots of small inputs work better than the "goose and coast" approach...

Personally I have found grits provide longer lasting energy than oatmeal..
But most days I am a piece of fruit followed by black coffee guy. I find that gets the brain switched on and keeps me going until Iate morning.

They say fruit digests in the upper intestine vs the stomach..

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 09/25/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lost 15% from 230 to 200 at 6 foot. Kept it off 4 years. Well worth the effort and sacrifice. Good luck.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 51 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.