Print Thread
Hop To
L
lonee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
and warm enough. 2000 calories per day, and losing 30 lbs of bodyfat will get you thru. Say 400,000 calories. veggie oil is 4000 calories per lb. Wheat berries are 1500 calories per lb, Peanut butter is 2500 calories per lb, powdered non fat milk has 2200 calories per lb, according to some sources, it's hard to find the facts about it. molasses last 10 years, are cheap, Honey lasts forever, but it's expenive. Figure an average of 1500 calories per lb and 1.5 lbs per day, that's 270 lbs for one person, for 6 months, about $3 a day. The drums, buckets, double mylar bags, dry ice, vacum sealer, etc, cost as much as the food. I was only willing to bury the salt, sugar, coolaid, wheat. Those things are cheap have little scent and last forever. The other The other 100 lbs of stuff will be on the bicycle, me walking alongside of it. I only have to go about 10 miles. :-) Some of it, initially, i"ll move only 1/2 mile to the pre-buried, empty containers, in the woods near the rental storage, which is nearest the BOB. There's more empties near the cattle and one full of netting, fish poison, and trolines, near the lake. I wasn't willing to put more than about $1000 in the food aspect of prepping. You're too likely to have to abandon it.

Last edited by lonee; 09/26/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But Wikipedia says that you can survive 10 years eating a diet of cheetos and fanta orange drink.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sprint11
But Wikipedia says that you can survive 10 years eating a diet of cheetos and fanta orange drink.

Yeah, but you come out looking like Trump.

(just kidding!!)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ll hop in my long ship, grab my axe and be right over.😁

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wut?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Honyokers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the resealable buckets. The ones with gasket lids. I use them all the time. They hold up good and keep out the critters.
One if my best friends was an herbalist and wild craft teacher. We spent years studying wild edibles and medicinal plants. Once a family learns what weeds are edible in their area, and USE them, they begin the process of:

A. Becoming more and more self reliant
B. Becoming less reliant on the supermarkets
C. Becoming less reliant on health insurance and medicine
D. Becoming healthier
E. Becoming closer as a family

The wild edibles have a much higher nutrient profile and density than store bought food.
They are hardy perennials that grow where they've grown for years. The hunter/ gatherers used them.
My friend was highly educated and taught school, defied the mob, and raised 5 successful children on wild edibles. She did use the grocery stores, but didn't depend on them. Like some of the CF s here, they raised their own eggs, meat and milk.

L
lonee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
yeah, but in a lot of areas, there's just not enough of them to keep you alive. With the exception of nuts, acorns and cattaills and only in SOME years for the nuts, you burn almost as many calories gathering and processing them as you get back. Euel Gibbons was smart enough to harvest their seeds and plant (or translat them much closer to his home, much more densely. He studied what sort of soil and growing conditions each type favored and saw to it that they got those things. THEN they cover your needs for vitamins, minerals, and carbs, but he admitted that you still needed to hunt trap, and fish. to get enough fats, protein and calories. My mom gardened until about 30 years ago. Us kids had to help and to pick berries in the woods and at the strawberry produce-farms, too. I hated it. There was one old cow who raised hell whenever we tried to put the milking machine on her and I'd have to hand milk that old beech, 3-4 gallons at a time, twice a day, It sucked.

Last edited by lonee; 09/26/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You couldn’t open a jar of pickles by yourself.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lonee
yeah, but in a lot of areas, there's just not enough of them to keep you alive. With the exception of nuts, acorns and cattaills and only in SOME years for the nuts, you burn almost as many calories gathering and processing them as you get back. Euel Gibbons was smart enough to harvest their seeds and plant (or translat them much closer to his home, much more densely. He studied what sort of soil and growing conditions each type favored and saw to it that they got those things. THEN they cover your needs for vitamins, minerals, and carbs, but he admitted that you still needed to hunt trap, and fish. to get enough fats, protein and calories.

Everything in the above paragraph is B.S.

L
lonee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by slumlord

I can kill you in seconds, with one hand behind me, if I let you have a bowie knife. you'll try your stupidity and I'll break your leg and then kick your head off of your neck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lonee
Originally Posted by slumlord

I can kill you in seconds, with one hand behind me, if I let you have a bowie knife. you'll try your stupidity and I'll break your leg and then kick your head off of your neck

No, you can't.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
better take your insulin first

I’d pull your tonsils out through your nose with a pair of 10” Kleins

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I like grocery stores more than people.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 23 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,503
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.