Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
SE with the 2.5l. bought it with 27,000 miles, it has 40,000 now. Replaced the the tires with Cooper css ultra touring. Ride got a bit better but stiff as hell. Softer compound helps.

When i hit those rain grooves, its all over the road. It doesn't have that boat effect when struts are worn. When I'm on new asphalt it drives beautifully, even with dips.

Are factory struts and shocks this stiff normally? Steering is tight and as should be.

I'm used to trucks, this is my first car in 15 years and first car with the electric power steering.

Any ideas?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rain and other grooves in line with road direction gave my truck's mud grips a fit like you describe.

We own the Mazda 6, which is the same car under the skin. NOTHING like you described.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We have a set of S curves on the highway going through grand rapids. In my f150 I can easily hit them at 70mph. This fusion pushes hard at 70, think I had a prius pass me the other day.

I guess the best way to describe it is as if your driving a high profile vehicle in a 50mph crosswind, and the wind comes from all directions

Last edited by Joel/AK; 09/27/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Alignment ok? Tire pressure proper?

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
according to the tires, pressures are good. Doesn't pull in any direction on a good smooth road. Unfortunately MI doesn't have to many new smooth roads. This thing rides like a Sherman tank where i live.

I'm thinking overly stiff shocks but im not a big car owner.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 2012 handles ok, only had it a couple months.
They have electric power steering, that has been hard to
adapt to. The variable speed sensing ratio assist is nice.
The dead wheel isn't.

First few weeks I thought it handled horrible.
Going into a 40 mph turn at 70, I slowed down, a bit scared.
But it's because of the dead wheel, you get all screwed up when you
are pushing the car in turns and don't feel the wheels griping or slipping.

The low profile tires leave me cold also.
Dry traction is fine, but I have already experienced some hydroplaning, and
am concerned about snow/ice.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had a Honda accord once that acted like that, it ended up being the rubber mounts for suspension.

Last edited by 12344mag; 09/27/20.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Might have them put it on the alignment rig.

If the rear is not in line it will walk even on bridge grates.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you mean Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring? Are these asymmetrical tires with an outside only side?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
according to the tires, pressures are good.

Don't go by the tire, go by the sticker in the door, which looks to be 32 psi, if 17" wheels, 34/18.

IC B3

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm running pressures at 35. I didn't look to see if they are mounted correctly, even at a tire shop, you get what you get from the workers.

With the last set of cheap tires that came on the car when I bought it this spring the car was down right scary. With the coopers, it drives better and its only sketchy now.

I've had it in the air twice, I didn't see any bad bushings, etc. Everything looks straight but without it being on a rack.....

I'll have to get in.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My wifes 2013 Fusion drives and handles nice. You've definitely got something wrong. Have them check your suspension springs. They are known for breaking and will handle like shyt when they do.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tells ya why you got it with low miles... bet someone beat it like a rental car.. or even WAS it previously a rental car?

sounds like the bushings on the suspension need attention...have learned to run my tire pressure higher than on the door jam..
that pressure is to give the best ride....run my car tires at about 40 psi now, car holds the road better, gets better mileage...

I 5 out here with all the truck traffic and Kate Brown not spending money on the highways here in Oregon ( she prefers to spend it on Antifa, BLM and other liberal 'causes')... driivng up the hwy, right line is kinda like driving on trolly tracks like we use to do in High School in our VWs over in the District....you're all over the road...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Joel/AK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It rides like nascar. For those that watch nascar, you know when a camera from one car is showing the car in front of it and ass is jumping back and forth. Thats what it feels like, I'm sure just not that extreme.

Very stiff ride, the new tires with softer compound helped. If I take back roads home, its not bad. I feel every bump. Get it on the highway and at 80 you feel it.

Rental? Who knows. When stealership got it the 5 year warranty just ran out. I do have friends that trade in vehicles to keep a warranty.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,409
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.