Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
We were traveling over the weekend and we stopped at a Cabela's to see the status of ammo, used gun rack, etc...

Yep, lots of empty shelves... Only handgun ammo I saw were some .25acp, sig 365 ammo, and 3 50round boxes of .22LR... amazingly picked clean...
Centerfire rifle ammo had most calibers, but still slim with one or 2 boxes for many calibers.

I picked up the last bags of .250sav brass, and .300sav brass. And the one lonely box of .300sav ammo... Not a savage lever gun in the house...
I didnt "need" any ammo, as I mostly can roll my own in most calibers I shoot, but I was amazed at how many shelves were desolate. Gun sales were of course booming as I stood at the gun counter.

Later,
dave

Last edited by ilikemilitaria; 09/28/20.
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I was in the Cabela’s in Scarborough Maine and the gun library is gone and the used gun racks are gone they have a few used guns behind the new gun counter. I was told they are getting out of the used gun sales business they will still buy used guns

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe they make any money on used guns. I've seen highly desirable guns for stupid low money and very common guns for stupid high money. Somebody is looking at the numbers and saying this ain't working for us.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yeah the politics have tripped the panic buying. Shooting is a serious hobby for me so Iusually have what I need on hand. There are a lot of people who hunt and wait till the last minute to buy ammo for their deer hunt. This year they will be screwed. Thre day is long gone that you can buy what you want, when you want , for the price you want to pay. In a way it's kind of funny. How many panics how? MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tinknocker
I was in the Cabela’s in Scarborough Maine and the gun library is gone and the used gun racks are gone they have a few used guns behind the new gun counter. I was told they are getting out of the used gun sales business they will still buy used guns

Ah damn.. bought a few guns from Scarborough.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KTP was in similar condition. The typically stellar used rifle racks and handgun cases were incredibly lean, and it was mostly CRAP. I did see one nice Steyr 25/06 but it wasn’t exactly A bargain. Ammo isle was like I’ve never seen it. I did manage to get a few boxes of .308 fusions from another place though. Some .44 mag and special were kicking around too. So, I’m all set to hunt a little. But that’s about it.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 09/29/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think all used gun racks across the nation are pretty bare. The local Cabela's has been seriously depleted since April. Last time in I think they'd removed almost all their gun racks because they don't have any guns to fill them with.

Nobody is selling used guns right now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
We were traveling over the weekend and we stopped at a Cabela's to see the status of ammo, used gun rack, etc...

Yep, lots of empty shelves... Only handgun ammo I saw were some .25acp, sig 365 ammo, and 3 50round boxes of .22LR... amazingly picked clean...
Centerfire rifle ammo had most calibers, but still slim with one or 2 boxes for many calibers.

I picked up the last bags of .250sav brass, and .300sav brass. And the one lonely box of .300sav ammo... Not a savage lever gun in the house...
I didnt "need" any ammo, as I mostly can roll my own in most calibers I shoot, but I was amazed at how many shelves were desolate. Gun sales were of course booming as I stood at the gun counter.

Later,
dave

No big surprise there. Most gun shops have been that way for MONTHS.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The person I spoke to at Cabela’s said it was a Bass pro shop policy not to sell used guns to much liability

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IMO Cabela's made a wrong turn by selling itself to Bass Pro. Alot in my area who used to do business with Cabela's are all in unison in saying prices went up, a different atmosphere exists in Cabela's stores now, and I know of a local kid made good who was moving up the ladder so to speak at Cabela's who quit when Bass Pro took over due to new 'butt hole' management practices he didn't agree with for customers. He advised he wasn't the only one in management that told Bass Pro to pound sand. I've never liked Bass Pro the few times I was in their stores, but my actual Cabala in store buys were never that great either after Cabela's did so much expansion.. Always had better places either brick and morter places and/or online to buy the same for less. Cabela's back in the Old days before they expanded to big time were a good place to buy. They like other places 'just got to big for their pants' IMO!! I don't need to look at stuffed critters or see fish swimming around in a place to fill my hunting/shooting/fishing needs. Dirty secret is you're paying to see that in purchases you make-those stuffed animals and fish and big aquariums don't come without a price tag.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Savage94C
IMO Cabela's made a wrong turn by selling itself to Bass Pro. I've never liked Bass Pro the few times I was in their stores.

Agreed .

I never liked Bass Pro .

Always found them and the UPC’s / merchandise they offered to be a bit “unsophisticated” .

Any place that sells a cooler that you can sit on and ride / drive is a bit out of my league . But I suppose if you floss with clothesline ….

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO, Cabelas Gun Library has been going downhill since BP took over and has gotten even worse since the Covid debacle. Their gun department suffers from lack of personal and at my closest store you take a number and wait for an hour or more before you can even look at anything.
I've been calling one store for three days now to speak to them about a gun they have. No answer at the firearms dept, and when the switchboard finally picks up, they say the firearms people are "with customers". Policy is now, because of the riots, that all guns go in the vault every night before closing. As a result anything on display gets beat to he!! when they chuck them in a shopping cart and wheel them back and forth. I think they'll be out of the used gun business soon. Really sad.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Bass Pro Shops has made Cabela's a shell of what it used to be. I wouldn't take their cheap azz line of chinese made Red Head brand clothing if they gave it to me. It's crap with a capitol C ! No ammo, no loading supplies, no gun library no reason to even go in the place anymore. Just another instance of a competitor buying a business with the sole intention of putting them out of business. I'd say the plan is working, I don't see Cabela's still being in business a year from now. Just another casualty, last year it was Gander Mountain/Gander Sports, next year Cabela's.

Last edited by gunswizard; 09/29/20.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I went to the Hamburg Pa location about a month ago, and was shocked at the lack of new and used guns. They used to have 6 or 8 big 2 tier racks out in front of the gun library that probably held 30 guns per rack. Those were replaced with small single tier racks that held about 10 guns each. They also only had a little over half of their new gun racks filled. I was looking for a new O/U shotgun and the options were slim. I saw a few boxes of primers on the shelf, all Federal, lg rifle mag, and lg and small pistol mag. My dad wanted a crossbow and the archery dept was slammed. I will have to say that we had great customer service at the gun counter and in the archery dept. Still Bass Pro is running them into the ground, only reason we went is we had a ton of Cabela's points and gift cards.

Last edited by JMUPT; 09/29/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Bass pro made Cabela's about what Cabela's made Gander Mountain. The agreement between Gander Mountain and Cabela's about no GM mail order is over. Maybe they'll take up as front runners again. I know GM has expanded their retail stores in MN recently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMUPT
I went to the Hamburg Pa location about a month ago, and was shocked at the lack of new and used guns. They used to have 6 or 8 big 2 tier racks out in front of the gun library that probably held 30 guns per rack. Those were replaced with small single tier racks that held about 10 guns each. They also only had a little over half of their new gun racks filled. I was looking for a new O/U shotgun and the options were slim. I saw a few boxes of primers on the shelf, all Federal, lg rifle mag, and lg and small pistol mag. My dad wanted a crossbow and the archery dept was slammed. I will have to say that we had great customer service at the gun counter and in the archery dept. Still Bass Pro is running them into the ground, only reason we went is we had a ton of Cabela's points and gift cards.

Nobody is selling used guns at the moment.

All the new guns have been bought as soon as they come in for the last 6 months.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m 15 min from the Cabela’s Wheeling WV store. One of their bigger locations. Was a regular there for years. Carried a Cabela Black VISA. Spent most of my gun, hunting, outdoors money right there.

Base Pro ruined that location for me. Many of the knowledgeable staff are gone, replaced by clueless twits. Selection is poor, pricing much higher. Promotions all but disappeared. I haven’t crossed their threshold in almost 2 years. Mostly shop online now.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm the odd man out. I've never set foot in a Cabela's, nor have I ever bought anything mailorder from them. There's a Bass Pro about 20 minutes from where I live. I went in once when they first opened maybe 15 years ago, haven't been back since.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I happened to see one of our local (Lehi, Utah) Cabelas Gun Library managers in another local gun store about 1 1/2 weeks ago and asked him what was up? He said that Cabelas had recently let go ALL of the Library Managers company wide!!!
The main manager in Lehi, Cory, had been there since the store opened 16 for 17 years ago. He was good and very knowledgable to say the least... too bad for sure. Bass Pro has really ruined the place.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Democrats are the best thing to happen to gun manufacturers since gunpowder. If I was a manufacturer I'd ride that wave and smile. Until they make guns illegal and sue them out of existence.

Last edited by Fireball2; 09/29/20.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 007FJ, 1936M71, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,558
Posts18,473,095
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.