Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Running those lanterns all night in an unvented tent will kill you... just a reminder.

Kent

Boy, my old canvas tent wasn't too insulated at all! Pretty airy actually. Maybe in the new nylon tents, but I don't think it would kill anyone in my old canvas tent. It certainly didn't in the 40+ years we used that tent. The canvas flaps just sort of laid on the mosquito net windows. Not much of a seal at all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Originally Posted by krp
Running those lanterns all night in an unvented tent will kill you... just a reminder.

Kent

Boy, my old canvas tent wasn't too insulated at all! Pretty airy actually. Maybe in the new nylon tents, but I don't think it would kill anyone in my old canvas tent. It certainly didn't in the 40+ years we used that tent. The canvas flaps just sort of laid on the mosquito net windows. Not much of a seal at all!

Self anointed hall monitor in every bunch.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
The Coleman's might be the rugged camping lantern of outdoorsmen...but the residents of southern Oregon and Northern California not served by a power company, and there is a lot of them.....virtually everybody uses Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps. There is no competition even close, but they should be good, they start at 150 bucks retail and go up to 280 bucks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
The Coleman's might be the rugged camping lantern of outdoorsmen...but the residents of southern Oregon and Northern California not served by a power company, and there is a lot of them.....virtually everybody uses Aladdin kerosene mantle lamps. There is no competition even close, but they should be good, they start at 150 bucks retail and go up to 280 bucks.

Found a brand new unfired 1960's Geniol Kerosene lamp in the back of grandparents garage when we were cleaning it out back in 2008 after Grandma passed. No one wanted so it sits now in my garage. Nickel plated brass. Watched lots of video on these lamps and they are super bright. Sound like rocket engine when in preheating mode.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I'm gad you mentioned that. I remember two out of state hunters found dead in their camper on the main street in my home town. Parked across the street from the bar.
They were using Coleman lanterns for heat.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by hanco
I gave up on them, use battery lanterns now.

me too battery lanterns for short hunts of 2-4 nights the battery lantern is easier, don`t stink and you don`t have to worry about burning something up or down.but yes if your in the wild country with no electric to use to recharge batteries yes a gas lantern is best then.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do we have to have a lawyer approved safety sticky post on every gun thread now?

"Remember kiddies never point the bang end of your boom stick at anything you don't want to send to Nirvana"

Sorry wokeup on the Curmudgeon side of the bed this morning.

"Maybe we're all happy."

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Originally Posted by Morewood
Always been a fan that hissing sound a gas Coleman makes but times change. Propane and battery lanterns for me.

Batteries and propane fail in cold weather and you can't heat a tent with a battree lantern. Isobutane is a little more reliable in cold weather as long as you stay above 0° F, but nothing beats white gas/multi-fuel appliances for reliability under all conditions.

Also, anecdotal, but the village folk swear a hissing lantern keeps bears out of camp at night. So there is always one hung up in camp central to the tents and turned down low.

I used the Coleman propane lantern at 20 below last hunting season and it had no problems. How cold did it have to get for you to have problems?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two Coleman lanterns, a double mantle that was my dad's and a single mantle that was my grandparent's. Lots of fond memories associated with the smell and hissing of those lanterns. Lots of frustration associated with white gas leaking on stuff, being spilt and setting things on fire. Others have expressed similar experiences.
Our old tent hardly kept out the moonlight so not a lot of danger from the lantern but KRP makes a good point about using them in an enclosed area.
Keep thinking I will get them out and use them for lights in the shop just so I can experience the smell and hissing again. I hesitate due to the setting stuff on fire aspect.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Joezone
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Originally Posted by Morewood
Always been a fan that hissing sound a gas Coleman makes but times change. Propane and battery lanterns for me.

Batteries and propane fail in cold weather and you can't heat a tent with a battree lantern. Isobutane is a little more reliable in cold weather as long as you stay above 0° F, but nothing beats white gas/multi-fuel appliances for reliability under all conditions.

Also, anecdotal, but the village folk swear a hissing lantern keeps bears out of camp at night. So there is always one hung up in camp central to the tents and turned down low.

I used the Coleman propane lantern at 20 below last hunting season and it had no problems. How cold did it have to get for you to have problems?
Butane will have a lot more cold weather problems than propane. That's why they started adding some propane to the butane in stove cannisters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
FWIW:

Isobutane boils @ +10*F
Propane boils @ -44*F

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buddy worked at a scrapyard for a few years when scrap was going hot cause the Chinese were building like crazy. I bet over a summer he got 50+ Coleman lanterns out of cars. No joke. Every style, configuration, fuel. People were scrapping anything with a bit of metal on it. He built a shelf around his garage and ran them around the garage as decorations haha.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by win7stw
Because single mantel 200A’s are sexy.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That’s us nice condition. Been repainted?

Originally Posted by win7stw
The 220’s are solid lanterns too

I have two of those and a C3H8 lantern. I like the convenience of the propane.

It hasn’t been repainted. I got it from my Grandpa before he passed. It’s a 1964

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the answer. That’s a great looking lantern, especially for 56 years old.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
For fans of Coleman ( and I am certainly one) here is a great resource for new old stock as well as new replacement parts. In addition the fella that runs the site is a pleasure to work with. I have no affiliation.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

For quality mantles I suggest Peerless:
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=1619&cat=34&page=1

I have several 200, 220, and I prefer these single mantle lanterns. Also have several doubles in Coleman steel cases.
For fun, here's a "Christmas" lantern I'm restoring. Works great, but the cap and a few other small parts are not original. luckily for me all these parts can be found through the link I posted above. These Christmas lanterns were only issued for a brief period in the 50s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]bb img

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They do not float very well.

And dont put 98 octane in em unless you want your eyebrows or the absence of them looking like Steve-O

J
Jim1611 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by longarm
For fans of Coleman ( and I am certainly one) here is a great resource for new old stock as well as new replacement parts. In addition the fella that runs the site is a pleasure to work with. I have no affiliation.

https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/

For quality mantles I suggest Peerless:
https://www.oldcolemanparts.com/product.php?productid=1619&cat=34&page=1

I have several 200, 220, and I prefer these single mantle lanterns. Also have several doubles in Coleman steel cases.
For fun, here's a "Christmas" lantern I'm restoring. Works great, but the cap and a few other small parts are not original. luckily for me all these parts can be found through the link I posted above. These Christmas lanterns were only issued for a brief period in the 50s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
bb img

I just ordered a generator and some mantles from him this morning.
Thanks for all the post and help!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke

My Old Man must of been afraid of the dark! When he passed we found Aladdin Lanterns everywhere! I bet I still have 6-8. a box/case of chimneys and a box/case of mantels too! Some are very pretty lanterns!

Last edited by 06hunter59; 09/29/20. Reason: x
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the liquid "Coleman Fuel" just kerosene?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Is the liquid "Coleman Fuel" just kerosene?

No. Coleman fuel is a very clean version of white gas/naptha.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1minute, 67 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,190
Posts18,503,409
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.