Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
So, I had something happen to me yesterday at the range that I've never encountered before.

I was shooting my two Rock River AR's that I've owned for a couple of years now with some new Black Hills 60gr SP ammo and experienced double fires on both rifles! I'd never even heard of this happening before.

Both rifles have drop in triggers, one a Timney Impact 3lb pull and one a Rise Armament 2.5lb pull. I was shooting off bags and rest and it was 103 degrees though.

I just remembered that I installed UTG Accurizing Wedges into both rifles and this was the first time to fire since. Would that possibly cause this?

Thanks for any help.

BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would try different ammo, seems unlikely that both rifles have mechanical issues.
Maybe email Black Hills, they may have had a recall.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
More than likely you were bump firing. I know my cousin had a 223 wssm with a Jewel trigger in it and I couldn't fire a single shot from a bench, it always doubled unless I pulled the trigger hard and held it back.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
yep bump fire with 3 lb triggers is common.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bump fire - had the same with a 3# drop in.

You’re pulling just until the trigger breaks, the recoil is bouncing the rifle back against your shoulder just enough to allow the trigger finger tension to drop and reset the trigger during the ejection and feeding cycle.

The rifle is rebounding from your shoulder about the time all of the above is completing - your trigger finger tension will trip a second round off.

As noted above - you need to pull through the trigger break and hold it, so the hammer catches the disconnector, then releases to the trigger sear.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/01/20.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by AH64guy
As noted above - you need to pull through the trigger break and hold it, so the hammer catches the disconnector, then releases to the trigger sear.

Or maintain the tension for a three shot burst, or until the magazine is empty..... whistle

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you all for the replies. I'll work on the trigger pull issue.

Does anyone think that this could be pretty hot loaded ammo or that temp was so dang hot, 103+ that day that higher than normal pressures could've contributed as well?

Thomas McGuane
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by AH64guy

Or maintain the tension for a three shot burst, or until the magazine is empty..... whistle

15 rounds of 6.8 SPC later - empty magazine...and very upset RSO.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by TexasBBQ
Thank you all for the replies. I'll work on the trigger pull issue.

Does anyone think that this could be pretty hot loaded ammo or that temp was so dang hot, 103+ that day that higher than normal pressures could've contributed as well?

No expert but I suspect the odds are pretty high that it is a trigger control issue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put together a lower two months ago for an upper I won. I had a Anderson FCG laying around so I used it. I got double fires. I ended up having a bad disconnector. Put a new one and no more issues.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have one lower that my AR57 will bump fire on. actually controllable. i don't join them except here on the home range grin these uppers have a 50 round mag. use your imagination!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bump fire sometimes it just happens on lower set triggers.

I know of 1 22 rimfire rifle that will dump the mag tube if you do the trigger just right.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Hudge
I put together a lower two months ago for an upper I won. I had a Anderson FCG laying around so I used it. I got double fires. I ended up having a bad disconnector. Put a new one and no more issues.

Yes usually a bad disconnector is the culprit in a GI type trigger. The odds of 2 doing the same at the same time basically ruled that out along with the oddball triggers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
super dynamic 3 gun will bump if your not careful

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by Hudge

Yes usually a bad disconnector is the culprit in a GI type trigger. The odds of 2 doing the same at the same time basically ruled that out along with the oddball triggers.

TWR,
What do you mean by "oddball triggers?" Do drop in's not have a disconnector? Sorry for my ignorance on all of this and appreciate all the help.
BBQ

Thomas McGuane
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oddball was simply a non GI trigger and yes all AR triggers have a disconnector I suppose but not all are designed like the GI trigger as in a separate part that is stamped and thrown to the masses.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Too light triggers, too little engagement. Return to as delivered condition and try again. Tweaking can be good, tweaking can be foolish.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 5thShock
Too light triggers, too little engagement. Return to as delivered condition and try again. Tweaking can be good, tweaking can be foolish.

Both triggers are drop in units with no adjustment allowed.

Thomas McGuane
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Got one with a Geissele in it that will bump fire every time from a bench if the stock is not FIRM into my shoulder.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"I just remembered that I installed UTG Accurizing Wedges into both rifles..."

Well, you have to remove those and test again. Both rifles affected the same way with clear cut symptoms, I think it will not be something obscure and mysterious. You will get this one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,677
Posts18,534,241
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.