Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Since the damage seems to be slight and only cosmetic I would let them total it, buy it back, put liability only on it and keep on trucking.

Ruff, that's the logical route... I'm not scrapping a perfectly good car, that is reliable, has low mileage, gets great gas mileage, has plenty of zip to it.. to me its just the principal of I'm not getting what I am paying the Insurance company for..

Will try out the dry ice thing Heym suggested along with Bristoe's "Paintles Dent Repair" guys...

you really don't even notice the dents on it until your standing right next to the car, and then you have to really look for it, due to the color seems to hide then

I've just experienced that Bum's Rush to the door by insurance companies before, on claims... and I know they are not singling me out.. as they do it to everyone...even have had friends who were adjusters in their career and they admitted around the water cooler or the coffee room they have conversations around, how much they were able to jip a customer down in claim pay outs..

They get $6K of my money a year.. for autos, * (we have 5 insured), home owners, and my wife's jewelry etc..and we don't end up making a lot of claims with them.. that's $48K, I've paid them over 8 years as a customer.. and now they are trying to short Sheet me on fixing dents on the hood, roof and truck lid .. on a 12 year old car...

there is no customer service here at all...heck, I could get that level of service for less money out of Tijuana...

there are other body shop alternatives, that can do the same job, for less than the estimate they are basing this off of.., they know it, but they won't tell the customer....

they are out to aggressively protect their interests, then I'll be out to protect mine, instead of just going away mad and accept their offer.. plus there is no time limit that I have to accept their offer by...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Technically you do. Most states it's 2 years iirc. At some point they say hey we made you an offer either decline or take it. Would suck to have to make them pay via court. I am sure it would get spendy

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Well I’ll tell you that a whitetail will walk a mile out of his way to stop by a burr oak, and half that distance for a white oak when they have acorns on them.

chinkapin oak seems to be the candy tree here

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Gonna still hunt into Area 50 at daylight tommorow morning, see what trees are dropping acorns and the deer are hitting, then go sit on the big valley about 150 200 m NE of hill 665 for 2 or 3 hrs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by renegade50; 09/30/20.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by EdM
But I am sure you understand the business side of what insurance companies owe their investors, right?

sure and I also understand what they owe their customers who buy their insurance policies.. and neither one involves ripping their customer off.. I paid for a full cover policy with zero deductibles.. from a company who claims to be so great and for veterans and its just another insurance company like every one else,,pay out as little as possible.. the policy they sold you sure isn't as great when they have to pay out on it... they tell you "you need to understand.. " and start pulling out a magnifying glass and want to show you all sorts of fine print...

as I told them, I can get short sheeted anywhere, they're nothing special...
how about a novel idea, work with a customer.. all they want to do is either total the vehicle or give it a salvage title, and then keep charging insurance rates like its pristine, yet it gets damaged again, they tell you your car is worth dirt, because they gave it a salvage title....

They are pissing on my feet and telling me its raining...and I spend over $6K a year with these people...yeah, call me unrealistic but I expect more than what I get from these clowns...for my money..

Since it's a low mileage for year model vehicle you might want to push that point to the claims adjuster for more money.

I got $1200 more than insurance was originally going to pay once for a totaled out low mileage for year model vehicle claim by doing that.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
Gonna still hunt into Area 50 at daylight tommorow morning, see what trees are dropping acorns and the deer are hitting, then go sit on the big valley about 150 200 m NE of hill 665 for 2 or 3 hrs.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can’t you just pay a guide?

Maybe get Rio7 to drive you around shoot one offa tit

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Seafire
I paid for a full cover policy with zero deductibles.. from a company who claims to be so great and for veterans and its just another insurance company like every one else,,pay out as little as possible.

USAA used to be really good until about 25 years ago. Originally they started with their only clientele being military officers, a pretty low risk group. Eventually they opened it up to all military and started expanding into things other than insurance. They got greedy and moved out of their core chartered business. Now they've expanded to where they're pretty much open to anyone that can spell military and they've gone downhill. They're just another insurance company now that tries to sell you on a bunch of sketchy financial products to pad their bottom line and shaft you on claims as you've seen.

I have them for my auto insurance but haven't had to fight them on a claim yet. I got rid of Farm Bureau about five years ago after they shafted me on a claim, and ten years before that I fired State Farm after they cheated my wife (then girlfriend) on a claim.

It seems to be the business plan of all insurance companies nowadays to try and screw their clientele. I guess they figure you don't have anywhere else to go since they all do it. The whole industry has gotten greedy and rich off of dealing in bad faith. State insurance regulators today seem to be in their pocket and don't look out for the public as they're tasked to do. I don't trust any of them.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wouldn't you come out ahead letting them total it cashing their check and buying it back over having them pay to fix it?

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bucktail
Wouldn't you come out ahead letting them total it cashing their check and buying it back over having them pay to fix it?

IN the long run, yeah... .but I've had to cross this bridge years ago, several different times...

Learned by people who were friends and in the business.. NEVER take the first offer they give you...

There in MN, back in 1980, my wife totalled a VW Camper, that was 3 years old...Thye insurance company offered her $3500 for it..We turned it down... opened a claim with the state insurance commission, then checked all 5 VW dealerships in the metro Twin Cities, they were selling them for $7500 to $8,000.. showed the adjuster the quotes from all 5 VW dealers...and the open claim with the State Insurance Commission.. He wrote me a Check for $7750.00 and couldn't get out of our house fast enough..

I've got other sources to consult here.. several other body shops etc, and talk to the insurance commission.. its 100% driveable, so I'm not in any rush.. which they will be tho to close the file....find out what they are gong to offer, consult a body shop to get it done for that amount, work out something where it isn't given a Salvage title.. its just a dented hood, roof and trunk lid...

its a popular color, so I am sure I can get a hood and trunk lid out of the bone yard the same color, and then just have the roof repaired.. if they won't work with you, force them to....that or they submit me a better offer...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
John,

good luck with it, seems you've been through the run around before, as have I. Twice.

Got rear ended on the fwy in SoCal, even though I have pulled onto the shoulder when I saw the guy coming up, His vehicle body didn't hit my quarter panel, the flat be sticking out did. I had a Subaru wagon that was likely 10 years or so old, but had a motor in it I switched from another one with only 50K miles on it, a new clutch kit when the motor was swapped, new tires and brakes, etc. They wanted to give me a pittance and total it, I fought them and got another grand or so and took the car back. Had a friend repair it and drove it for a lot of years.

The second one was an '84 Subaru wagon, again with new stuff and low mileage. It was in 2000 or so. We lived at about 7k' in the mtns of AZ at the time. Some dude up for skiing pulled out of the gas station at the Safeway and drove right into my car as I was trying to put it back in gear and get away, having just parked and undone my seatbelt. They wanted to give me something like $1200 for it, and total the car. I had to tell them I had more than that in new parts in the last year or so, counting tires, brakes, etc. I had every receipt for it all, including documentation of the oil changes I did every 3K miles. I asked them to tell me where I could find a well maintained 4wd vehicle in the mtns of AZ for $1200, and told them if they thought they could do it, seeing as how it was their client that hit me, then find it for me and we'd make a swap. I got more money out of them eventually and kept the vehicle, drove it another 3 or 4 years hunting all over AZ with it.

I understand Ed's point, from a business standpoint but wish for folks like us that try to take care of their vehicles they had some sort of replacement clause. Every time I take my 2001 Tacoma out on a trip I worry some little "fender bender" will cause the insurance folks to total it for Blue Book value. Where am I going to find a hunting truck like that for what they'll give me?

Again, good luck with it all.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks Geno... yeah its the down side of guys like us who drive older vehicles...and live without car payments etc...

I understand Ed's position and its the position of the company... however I'm not in the company's shoes, I am in the consumers shoes.. if company's were honest and fair like they try to sell ya on, when you purchase a policy, then that is one thing.. however they have a track record of not being that way.. so I have the responsibility to take care of my interests, or just STFU as I have nothing to complain about when I don't make an effort.. no difference that those who complain about candidates running for office, but never get off the couch and get out and vote...

Have a good day tomorrow my friend!

cheers and best regards...

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 53 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.