Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CJC73 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wanting to swap out my safety to a low profile one so the scope doesn't have to be 3" above the rifle.

Anyone done this? How difficult is it to do? Looked for some instructions online and the one I found quick last night was quite vague.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Brownells still sells the Beuhler style safety, last one I bought was almost 50 bucks which is a blatant ripoff IMO. They can be tricky to install properly, depending on the knowledge of the installer, some just drop in, some you need to adjust by very careful grinding so that they just lift the striker/cocking piece off of the sear.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
CJC73 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
any other options?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The Wisner requires machining of the shroud but you end up with a nice 2-position Model 70-style safety. I have several of these.

Dakota, Gentry, and others make a 3-position shroud safety that replaces the whole assembly and requires machining and fitting as well. I’ve had a couple of these and they’re my favorite.

All available through Brownells.

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Choices range for about $50 to $300 starting with the Buehler style safety on up to the Recknagel or Lapour style side swing safety. Eric pretty much covered it. All but the Buehler style require some machining work.

Or, you can install an aftermarket trigger like the Timney with a trigger block safety for a little over $100.

IC B2

CJC73 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The Wisner one looks good but really don't have the tools to do so.

Originally Posted by efw
The Wisner requires machining of the shroud but you end up with a nice 2-position Model 70-style safety. I have several of these.

who installed it for you?

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Be aware that unlike the 3 position safety, as supplied, the two position safeties don't allow you to open the bolt with the safety on. For some, that is a deal breaker.

Jim Kobe, JKob on the forum can install either for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Brownells still sells the Beuhler style safety, last one I bought was almost 50 bucks which is a blatant ripoff IMO. They can be tricky to install properly, depending on the knowledge of the installer, some just drop in, some you need to adjust by very careful grinding so that they just lift the striker/cocking piece off of the sear.

Alternatively, SARCO and Numrich/Gun Parts Corp sell a 1-piece low scope safety for 98s for under $20. Like the Buehler style, you want to be comfortable with disassembling a Mauser 98 bolt (Kuhnhausen's "The Mauser Bolt Actions" is an excellent source on how to) before attempting installation.

I have done about a dozen of these, roughly half Buehler and half 1-piece. Sometimes they just drop in; often it takes a little grinding on the cocking pice as flintlocke mentioned. I have one 98 where I could not get a 1-piece safety in, as it just could not be inserted into the bolt shroud. I'm saving that one for a rainy day before working on it again..

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That GPC safety is a piece of crap. My Dad asked me to install one for him, first trip to the range the wing broke off. I've heard from Mauser "sporterizing" enthusiasts that they have encountered the same issues. That safety is a copy of I believe the one used by Santa Barbara on their commercial Mausers. The difference being that the Santa Barbara piece was made from better materials. Just my 2 cents.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
PM jkob, Fire contributor.

He’s a good Mauser smith, can install any of the mentioned options.

DF

IC B3

CJC73 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r
Be aware that unlike the 3 position safety, as supplied, the two position safeties don't allow you to open the bolt with the safety on. For some, that is a deal breaker.

Not a deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Will do... thanks

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CJC73
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

Jim fixed a two position Mauser safety to NOT lock the bolt. It can be done.

DF

z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

DF

Yes, it can be DONE, hence my saying, "as supplied." But, you lose the option to lock the bolt.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by z1r

DF

Will do... thanks

DF

Yes, it can be DONE, hence my saying, "as supplied." But, you lose the option to lock the bolt.

I guess I understand the push to lock the bolt. I've never thought that was a big deal, prefer to load and unload my rifles with the safety engaged.

To me, choosing between locking the bolt or loading/unloading on safe with a two position safety, I'll go with the latter.

YMMV

DF

CJC73 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I load/unload from the bottom so not a big deal. I can see if you have to cycle each round to unload it would be beneficial. I just unload the mag and then cycle the bolt for the chambered one.

but as you said. YMMV. a lot of ways to do it, do what you're comfortable doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I load/unload from the bottom so not a big deal.

You load Mauser 98s from the bottom?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
z1r Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Lol, that was my reaction too.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Lol, that was my reaction too.

With a hinged floor plate, maybe unloading from the bottom....

But loading...?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, loading from the bottom works OK, especially with a hinged floorplate, but apparently not many people try it.

I have installed the Buehler-style safety made by Timney on several actions (and the original Buehler on a couple) with no problems, but have done considerably work on 98s. Have at least FN commercial actions with Gentry 3-position safeties, installed by Gentry, and they work great.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I'm amazed at the cost of the Buhler style model! Agreeing with above, Ripppppppp....! I'd try eBay. If to find one purporting to be genuine Buhler, they were quite good. That said, also concurring and extending to many safety conversions, not necessarily drop-in functionality.
Good luck!
John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,393
Posts18,488,781
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.