Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
What I didn’t like about Alaska; time passes too quickly.
When a 3 week trip ends before you’ve had a chance to see everything you had hoped to see and do.
Umm, it’s a long plane ride from Michigan?
Sorry. That’s all I got. 🙂

Mark,
You need to drive up and take those aggravating airports out of the equation.

I’m glad the folks in delta didn’t chase us off last Sunday while hunted for cranes.. we limited out in no time.

Last edited by 79S; 10/02/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
I think they’re fairly well-provisioned through their native corporations, no?

They receive money through their native corporations(+-$10k per year). That money goes toward paying for things but it doesn't buy caribou, and caribou is kinda like their religion.

Unless you have been around them I'm not sure that you can understand importance of caribou to them. For generations their people have relied on the caribou migration to provide them with the bulk of their food. Only a couple of generations ago(about 50 years) they were still following the caribou as they migrated and literally living or dying based on the adequacy of their "catch". Every elder in the village has stories of living through the lean times which killed some of their siblings and relatives due to starvation.

Today no one is dying due to starvation today, but there is a sort of "starvation of the soul" that comes when the caribou migration fails. No amount of store bough food can correct this deficit. I know that some of you would say that their historical reliance on caribou doesn't give them any more right to the resource than the guy who flies up from San Diego looking for adventure and something to hang on the wall, but I wonder if you guys really believe that deep down.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Another huge thing about the Feds in AK... Under the Statehood Compact they agreed to give the State a lot of land. 61 years later we are still asking. In the interim they locked up vast portions by unilaterally creating many parks. Another huge chunk was given to Natives (without legal standing) to clear the rights-of-way for TAPS without giving the State the opportunity to select some lands along roads and rivers for access.

And now they want to stop all but locals from accessing Federal lands. The feds can GFT.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
I think they’re fairly well-provisioned through their native corporations, no?

They receive money through their native corporations(+-$10k per year). That money goes toward paying for things but it doesn't buy caribou, and caribou is kinda like their religion.

Unless you have been around them I'm not sure that you can understand importance of caribou to them. For generations their people have relied on the caribou migration to provide them with the bulk of their food. Only a couple of generations ago(about 50 years) they were still following the caribou as they migrated and literally living or dying based on the adequacy of their "catch". Every elder in the village has stories of living through the lean times which killed some of their siblings and relatives due to starvation.

Today no one is dying due to starvation today, but there is a sort of "starvation of the soul" that comes when the caribou migration fails. No amount of store bough food can correct this deficit. I know that some of you would say that their historical reliance on caribou doesn't give them any more right to the resource than the guy who flies up from San Diego looking for adventure and something to hang on the wall, but I wonder if you guys really believe that deep down.

no one has said non-residents should have the same rights as residents. As residents we are all supported and protected by the State Constitution and any allocation of resources has to follow it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Caribous come!"

There is a world of excitement and meaning in those two words for those in the Arctic, and points south.

I seriously thought of leaving a snow machine in Kotzebue when we moved back to th Kenai, just to takr advantage of winter caribou hunting. Pregnant cows eat good..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Another huge thing about the Feds in AK... Under the Statehood Compact they agreed to give the State a lot of land. 61 years later we are still asking. In the interim they locked up vast portions by unilaterally creating many parks. Another huge chunk was given to Natives (without legal standing) to clear the rights-of-way for TAPS without giving the State the opportunity to select some lands along roads and rivers for access.

And now they want to stop all but locals from accessing Federal lands. The feds can GFT.

Thanks to Jimmah.

Happy birthday yesterday to him! 😏🤔

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jimmy did no favors for Alaska or Alaskans.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You are correct, sir.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

no one has said non-residents should have the same rights as residents.

I thought that was exactly what 79S was saying:

Originally Posted by 79S
I also don’t favor certain user groups, if you are from Alabama and want to go hunt the porcupine caribou herd go have fun..

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When a 3 week trip ends before you’ve had a chance to see everything you had hoped to see and do.

Mark,

Thanks Vern.
Since the missus and I are now retired, driving is a much better option. There’s lots of beautiful country between Michigan and Alaska. Hopefully next year or the year after.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Mark,

Thanks Vern.
Since the missus and I are now retired, driving is a much better option. There’s lots of beautiful country between Michigan and Alaska. Hopefully next year or the year after.

Do it. I dare ya! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by 79S
I also don’t favor certain user groups, if you are from Alabama and want to go hunt the porcupine caribou herd go have fun..

Are we confusing non-residents of AK with non-locals of Game Management Units?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I spent three years there. Did not like anything there .. was glad as HELL to leave.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hubert
I spent three years there. Did not like anything there .. was glad as HELL to leave.

Hard to imagine being happy anywhere if that is true.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Throughout history, the setting of geopolitical boundaries has caused many a problem.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm, or not.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm, or not.

It’s not. Hubert has posted similar before.

It’s definitely not for everyone (fortunately) and I highly recommend everyone interested in visiting/moving to AK, to rethink that. wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by 79S

I Mentioned porcupine herd for a reason.. that seems to be the only herd the subsitance hunters don’t target, because they are so far out of the way. Then again I’m for NR hunting wherever.. If the NR were that big of an impact on the herds you guys hunt then someone/state would’ve implemented unit 13 rules for caribou in the unit you reside in. As of now sounds like a bunch of keyboard biology going on, up in the north slope.. Also grandpa Gusty talking about millions of caribou running through town back in 1947..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On one of the Facebook pages couple yrs ago when anwr was open for oil exploration. A lady from kotzebue posted a rant. On how the current pipeline altered the migration route for the caribou in kotzebue. Her grandpa told her how the caribou ran through downtown kotzebue apparently. I told her that’s the western arctic herd and they hardly get anywhere near the pipeline. She tells me I don’t care what herd it is we don’t need oil drilling in anwr.. I was like ph ucking ignorant idiots.. Then you have the ones blaming white eyes for shooting all their caribou.. nevermind 7 Pregnant cows you just shot..

Last edited by 79S; 10/03/20.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Well 3 years ago
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What I didn't like about Alaska was greasy pizza and toll roads and pay to park on at fishing areas. In my 2 trips to Alaska so far that is it. Everything else so far I loved.

Toll roads?? Where in the hell were you at??

Kenai

I have never seen a toll road on the Kenai.. Far as pay to park fishing that’s the norm.

3 years ago there was a road with a toll booth in the middle of the road with the road built around it. My friend (an Alaskan) wanted to drive down the the river to see if any netting was going on. We would have had to $20 as I recall just to drive to the river. So we turned around.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

728 members (10Glocks, 12savage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 78 invisible), 3,008 guests, and 1,506 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,739
Posts18,476,029
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.