Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"OK, lady, OK, it's YOUR elk!! Just let me get my saddle off him first"

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Those Broadheads are the cheap Knockoffs sold at Wal Mart.....Just have the DNR Officer Hang out out the Closest Wal Mart......The suspect will be a pimple Faced teenager....He will be open carrying a High Point 9 mm...With his unwashed Bluejeans tucked in his Zip up boots....

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Probably chewed out a trespasser and they came back and got revenge.

Or it was just a random sicko.

Hunting season is a PIA.

Sounds like a chapter from StripBuckHunter's play book, that he used to post on here.

When I ranched BLM, I found what was left of one big calf that was shot in the head with a 22-250. mad

Had another rancher friend in the same area had 3-4 cows shot.

You are right about PIA!

Just a question, I'm curious. How did you know it was a 22-250 and not another 22 caliber round? Find the case?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It ain't just Montana either. Unfortunately, we get our fair share here.

Last spring, there was quite a number of cases where domestic and wildlife was shot and left. My guess was it was kids, not in school, out driving around and drinking and can't resist shooting at a deer, elk, or beef cow standing beside the road. I think the term is "thrill killing" with no intention of salvaging the animal. There is also just the scum who will take whatever isn't nailed down, whether its a living animal or a material item.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Intentionally shooting livestock is serious business and deserves a extreme punishment .

That looks like an aluminum arrow from the 80s . I think the broadhead is called Satellite .

The shooter need to be staked out in a bean field and disced into the ground .

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Satellite clone, but blade has flat at back edge and slot also has a flat on back edge.

Step at back of ferrule looks like 100gr

Proly Chinese amazon crap

https://uk.huntingdoor.com/12pcs-ir...s-hunting-target-points-green-color.html

Last edited by hookeye; 10/04/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
That’s an ancient arrow, old school aluminum. Not anyone who shoots a bow much. There is always someone shooting up chit they shouldn’t, it doesn’t have to be hunting season.

My guess is local bored teens who found dads old bow from the 90’s.

yep. an old Easton xx 75 with a knock off Walmart broachead

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Not sure on the knock off wallyworld pt but Hookeyes ID looks spot on. Either way that design does not look very durable. At any rate that POS that did it gives all sportsmen a black eye, maybe that was the intent. Up to this year I did not think the left could sink too lows as this , but the last 9 months have shown exactly what kind of people they are and aren't. I AM NOT sure if they are caught what punishment would be enough to get the point across but maybe one of his cheap broadheads in his scapula 3/4" or so left unattended for a week or so would be a start and if he survived that a lot of monetary restitution, just for a start. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by krp
Not a wasp or thunderhead, as stated a satellite or knockoff.

Old style aluminum arrows and broadhead, 80s/early 90s, weak bow, low penetration, most likely low poundage recurve, combination isn't a big game setup.

A hunter would have shot them in the vitals.

Not a hunter, someone found or acquired the equipment and went out joy shooting, probably shot at all kinds of stuff until they ran out of the arrows.

Kent

Looks to me like a Easton xx75 Autumn orange with an aluminum insert. My 1st thought was Wasp but they had a ogived bullet point this point appears to have the flat or scalloped sides 120* apart and I don't remember Wasps ever having a green body color. As far as it being a "underpowered stick bow" no bets there. Shot placement for any type of bow was poor if the intent was a quick kill, you don't shoot the biggest bones in the body with a arrow powered by any bow for penetration to the vitals.. Most archery hunters have discipline and high level ethics. So I'd rule out any genuine licensed hunter they don't do [bleep] like that plus the fact that the calf was also shot. I think they need to build their suspect pool from people who have a grudge of some sort on the stock owner. MB

Basing the underpowered bow on the cow being shot in both front shoulders and the calf shot in the shoulder with only 1 arrow staying in, shallow wounds. Luckily they weren't shot in the guts. 3 hits and all in the shoulder, not sprayed all over, I would say they were real close and either wasn't trying to kill them or didn't know how to kill them.

Kent

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Kent sure looks that way but they appear to have accomplished their goal either way of pissing off any good citizen. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Barry, A rancher here complained to g warden of a poacher and they put up some cameras from no tellng how far away and got high power, hi res pics of poacher in truck, plates, shooting out window, hawk on T Pole falling.....

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/04/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The no good SOB should be taken out behind the barn and bullwhipped for doing that. GD punks.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gotta love the positive image reflected with this... mad

From a friend's post.

Cow shot twice. Once in each shoulder. Calf shot once.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think the answer to the question "who would do such a thing" can be found right here.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No I have not, but there is a good amount of shaft exposed that never penetrated...I meant of the part sticking out....long shot I know.

Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by EQFD193
That is just beyond stupid and cruel !!!! But I'm guessing there might be more of the same arrows in a quiver (should a suspect be Id'ed) or prints that came be lifted off of the one in the cow on file.

Prints lifted off the broadhead IN the cow? Have you ever taken latent fingerprints before?

Lol I bet you'd have a better chance of winning the mega millions lotto lol

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Probably chewed out a trespasser and they came back and got revenge.

Or it was just a random sicko.

Hunting season is a PIA.

Sounds like a chapter from StripBuckHunter's play book, that he used to post on here.

When I ranched BLM, I found what was left of one big calf that was shot in the head with a 22-250. mad

Had another rancher friend in the same area had 3-4 cows shot.

You are right about PIA!

Just a question, I'm curious. How did you know it was a 22-250 and not another 22 caliber round? Find the case?

Yes. Found the casing, then skinned the skull back where it'd been shot between the eyes and revealed a 22 caliber hole there.

That pasture was 28 sections, so it's a pretty safe bet that the calf was killed with the 22-250.

They skinned part of the calf back and took the lions, and a bit of the hind quarters and left the rest to rot. mad

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'd sure never say it wasn't kids but it seems kids get blamed for older everyday azzholes.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see these types of things from time to time, mostly it’s a cat or a dog or a horse on the news.

And the media will always call the shîthead a “hunter”

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rockinbbar: I agree totally - this is abhorrent behavior on the part of what ever criminal did this but I also feel great sympathy for the pain the cow and calf are suffering needlessly!
Having said that what makes you conclude this happened in Montana - and in the "bow season"? I see no information on those contentions of yours - please explain.
I would love to know exactly WHERE and exactly WHEN these crimes occurred so, if possible, I can help solve them!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rockinbbar: I agree totally - this is abhorrent behavior on the part of what ever criminal did this but I also feel great sympathy for the pain the cow and calf are suffering needlessly!
Having said that what makes you conclude this happened in Montana - and in the "bow season"? I see no information on those contentions of yours - please explain.
I would love to know exactly WHERE and exactly WHEN these crimes occurred so, if possible, I can help solve them!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I guess I conclude what I posted because this particular friend of mine, on FB lives in Montana, and it happened on their ranch.

And I further conclude that it is bow season in Montana by looking at their website...

Furthermore, I conclude that the investigation by the Livestock Dept., and the rewards posted will be effective if anything will.

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rockinbbar: So you prefer NOT to answer my clarifying questions?
I still would like to know exactly WHERE and exactly WHEN these crimes occurred!
If for some reason you prefer to not answer those two questions I guess that is your business - but I must ask for what possible motivation will you not answer them?
And I would still like to help solve these crimes despite your "attitude" and "puzzling behavior"
Montana is an extremely large state and a time and date would be very helpful.
Sincerely - sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 16penny, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 53 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,964
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.