Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For a lot less money, go with the Vortex UHD LHT in 3-15×42. Fairly light. No noticeable CA. Dials great. I used one to 500 yards this morning. Sharp and crisp; impacts were predictable. Could see hits at 500.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Not everyone dials.

Show us the longrange guys that don't.....

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Pre 64 nickel plated action
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8
Like I said, not everyone dials.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yeah, baby... well worth the wait.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gonna have to see if they have Mil/LE pricing.

All the 3-15x50 models on EuroOptic are $4,000-ish.

https://www.eurooptic.com/tangent-theta.aspx

Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Try one of these...

This thing has THE best glass, and most forgiving parallax I've ever seen in any rifle scope.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not everyone dials.

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8

That's a good, solid bull. Congrats, but 413 yards is hardly long range these days.
With a .300 Win Mag, standard bullets and a 200 yard zero that's only ~18-20 inches of drop...which makes holdover hits pretty easy. At that kind of range good B/C bullets out of slower rounds might be just getting caught up, or even still going slower than poorer B/C bullets out of faster rounds such as a .300 Win Mag.

I ran dots for a while but drank the dialing kool aid and haven't looked back, though I really don't approach "long" range, myself.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not everyone dials.

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8

That's a good, solid bull. Congrats, but 413 yards is hardly long range these days.
With a .300 Win Mag, standard bullets and a 200 yard zero that's only ~18-20 inches of drop...which makes holdover hits pretty easy. At that kind of range good B/C bullets out of slower rounds might be just getting caught up, or even still going slower than poorer B/C bullets out of faster rounds such as a .300 Win Mag.

I ran dots for a while but drank the dialing kool aid and haven't looked back, though I really don't approach "long" range, myself.

Like I originally stated, not everyone dials, but I do use a dope cheat sheet. I use an Alaskan Guide Bino harness and they have a little pouch up front that I carry my laminated dope cheat sheet. I have attached a 300 Win mag and a 270 Win below. My sheet is ~2" x 3". I make each on specific to the rifle scope combination and they are verified. Basically any animal between the end of my muzzle and 300 yards is a point and shoot. I have found most animals beyond this range will allow time for getting an accurate range with my rangefinder (isn't that what you do before dial). My cheat sheet lists the inches from the post to crosshair for reticle for each rifle/scope combo. This information is gained from the scope manufactures and again is verified. If I crank the Leupold up to 8X and I am aiming at 500 yards, the distance from my post to crosshair is 13". For the Swarovski 3x9 with 4A reticle at 500 yards, the post to crosshair is 40". So I do know the holdover amount at distances up to 500 yard without any mechanical "dialing". Maybe I'm just an old school type guy that will take an occasional long shot. For me, my self imposed long shot limitation is 3-500 yards.

Last edited by lynntelk; 10/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a system that works for you, then all is well. Keep on keeping on. Go forth and kill more bulls like that.
I tried the dope chart in a pocket thing once.....I think you can guess what happened. It's now clear taped to my scope's ocular bell.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Not everyone dials.

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8

Like I originally stated, not everyone dials, but I do use a dope cheat sheet. I use an Alaskan Guide Bino harness and they have a little pouch up front that I carry my laminated dope cheat sheet. I have attached a 300 Win mag and a 270 Win below. My sheet is ~2" x 3". I make each on specific to the rifle scope combination and they are verified. Basically any animal between the end of my muzzle and 300 yards is a point and shoot. I have found most animals beyond this range will allow time for getting an accurate range with my rangefinder (isn't that what you do before dial). My cheat sheet lists the inches from the post to crosshair for reticle for each rifle/scope combo. This information is gained from the scope manufactures and again is verified. If I crank the Leupold up to 8X and I am aiming at 500 yards, the distance from my post to crosshair is 13". For the Swarovski 3x9 with 4A reticle at 500 yards, the post to crosshair is 40". So I do know the holdover amount at distances up to 500 yard without any mechanical "dialing". Maybe I'm just an old school type guy that will take an occasional long shot. For me, my self imposed long shot limitation is 3-500 yards.
Nice Elk lynntelk, 413 yards is the longest I would take and more like 350 yards would be my tops. I don't dial either.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If you have a system that works for you, then all is well. Keep on keeping on. Go forth and kill more bulls like that.
I tried the dope chart in a pocket thing once.....I think you can guess what happened. It's now clear taped to my scope's ocular bell.

My longest kill was an antelope at 777 yards. I needed 12 3/4 MOA correction. I diailed 3/4 MOA and used line 6 of the reticle for the remaining 12 MOA. I EAS USEING A Nightforce NXS 3X15X60 witj the NPR2

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I'd pop for 30mm rings for the magnum and stick a Nightforce SHV 3-10 w/Forceplex (about $1k) on it. Were it not a mag, I'd consider a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10 on it, which has decent clear glass and is lighter. Higher magnifications make optical issues more noticeable (and reduce the exit pupil), and a critter's innards pretty much stay in the same place AFIK, so once you know where that is, you should be okay.

No way am I toting a scope over 42mm over hill and dale. Extra weight and size complicate mounting, add stress under recoil, and make me more tired and sore.

Nightforce are heavy. The Swarovski Z5 50mm is only 17 oz. That SHV 42m is almost 23 oz. I can see why their 50mm would be objectionable since it's almost twice the weight of the Z5.

But why would the SHV be better than the Swarovski?

The ATACR has ED glass and I can see that having an optical advantage, but it is 30 oz for a 42mm scope, and it's also $2500, so it's really comparing more to the expensive end of the Z6 range or X5. I'm trying to avoid spending that much.

Because the accumulated evidence seems to show that reliability in riflescopes requires a certain “investment” in the form of sufficient material to ensure stuff stays where it supposed to under recoil and rough handling. More material=more weight, at least until someone comes up with an alternative to what we have now. Also, while the SHV may not get as thoroughly tested as their spendier stuff, I’ll bet they get tested better than most other hunting scopes. Almost 6oz more isn’t much to carry if accurate dialing is the goal, or even just ruggedness.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty fhuqking funny,that hitting a 5 MOA target at 400yds and small change,is "good". Hint. Congratulations?!?

Funnier fhuqking yet,to extoll the "virtues"of SFP schit aiming devices,that can neither track or hold zero...but including velocity and energy on a Goat Fhuqk Chart,adds even more fhuqking HILARITY. The inherent DUMB Fhuqktitude,is simply MAGNIFICENT. Hint.

Very easy to have 800++ yds of dope in an ocular,in 50yd increments and mounted upon a fhuqking scope that's not a Barbie Doll Play Toy. I'm not afeared of tape,but I'll take a PaintStik and Sharpie there,if only for durability. A reticle that actually fhuqking does something,with DOPE that is germane,likely connects dots by default,if fhuqking only obviously. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts for trying and thanks for the fhuqking HUMOR.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How and why can't knob twirlers get lots closer lately? The quarry now bolts at half a mile eh? It's called hunting, not sniping.

Last edited by Wrapids; 10/04/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrapids
How and why can't knob twirlers get lots closer lately? The quarry now bolts at half a mile eh? It's called hunting, not sniping.

The ol' x-bow vs. compound vs. stick bow argument, eh. My hat is off to the long-range shooters and I applaud & appreciate their skill.

Look, I've shot a lot of deer, a handful I even snuck up and shot with my recurve.

Have you ever tried long-range shooting?

It's a lot of work to master that skill set. Franky, I think it's easier to stalk a deer and shoot it in its bed, then to dial in your dope at 700 yards and make a lethal shot.

I have to get under 300 yards because I'm not good 'nuff to make a 500-yard + shot. I've not put in the effort nor time to master long-range shooting.

So, Kudos to you long-range dialin' hunters.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Little dick, there are a few points that must be made to connect the dots since you are clueless, starting with the title of this topic, "hunting rifle scope". I have stated several times and will repeat because your reading comprehension skills appear to be severely diminished, not everyone dials. My dope sheets give the information I desire. Please pay attention to the underlined I as no thought or consideration was given as to your opinions. While gazing upon the field where fhuqs given are grown for your post, it is barren. I do not have a scope lens cover to paint as I use a neoprene scope cover. I am sure yours is far superior and little red plastic thingy that is require to activate the scope covers on each end is made from a high tensile plastic and never prone to breakage. When I attempted to use the little red thingy, one was left in the saddle scabbard rendering the cover useless as you are. Of course if you ride sidesaddle you may not have that problem. There are items which you place on a pedestal, that just don't work in the field. I regularly harvest animals using and doing things that I have found to work in the environment(s) that I hunt in. FYI I harvest animals and have never had I had to drown my rifle or scope for a photo op. Flame away for this is the fire, but reread the end of the fourth sentence if you think your bloviating will cause me a sleepless night.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not everyone dials.

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8

And there you have it: this is how it's been done since the advent of the duplex reticle.

God Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
364 yrds, shot in the head with a duplex and a 284. Don't over-complicate it.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Not everyone dials.

Waiting.....

The wait is over.
413 yards
300 Win Mag
Shilen SS match grade #2
Brown pounder stock
Oh yea Leupold 2.5 x 8

And there you have it: this is how it's been done since the advent of the duplex reticle.

But with SFPs, such that lynntelk is using, it gets much more complicated, fast.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Wrapids

In the case of the Mule Deer I shot in WY last fall, the options were:

1. Shoot him @ 560yds using a dead-fall, bipods, and my pack to make a solid rest.

2. Don't shoot.

I took my time, nice solid rest, dry-fired on him a couple times. Waited for him to turn and stand with his backside into the wind slightly quartering away. Had a slight breeze so I dialed the elevation I needed, put the crosshairs on the upwind edge of his ribs about 1/3 of the way up the body and squeezed. I got 6-7" of drift and elevation was spot-on. The bullet entered a few ribs ahead of the diaphragm and exited the off-side shoulder. The deer never took a step.

It took us about an hr to get horses to the dead-deer. There wasn't enough daylight left from the time the deer stepped out into his little clearing to put any kind of a stalk on him. He was buried in timber over a ridge until he stepped out into the clearing. This was the last evening of my hunt.

It's OK if you wouldn't have taken the shot. I was confident I could make a clean kill, and I did.

Last edited by horse1; 10/05/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupids,

Pardon the etched reticle,10 Mil's of POA/POI correlations and the fact that one is looking through the fhuqking thing anyhow,going welllll over your pointy head...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

With a 180 TTSX at 3150fps launch and a 200yd zero,looking through the fhuqking thing,will "only" get said combo to 1175yds,from a 200yd zero at Low Tide. Google as you must. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for trying though.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

skream,

Proficiency cain't be purchased. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Bumbling DUMB Fhuqks,like the Clueless Kchunt "extolling" SFP Goat Fhuqks,cain't do at the 200yd line,that which is blasse' for others at 600yds. They haven't the means,abilities or comprehension,to garner even a FIRST Fhuqking Clue,which is never not funny. Hint. Laughing!

Bless their hearts for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

kchuntelk,

There's ZERO need for you to dwell upon your Retardation or extoll your countless,yet very WELL founded Insecurities...you Amazingly STUPID kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You can almost form a paragraph. ALMOST! You Drooling Fhuqktards are a hoot! Hint. Laughing!

Kudos on being able to shoot 4MOA on your Haybale & Crockett Fence Hopping Adventures,as you HILARIOUSLY try to "convince" yourself,that you have a "clue",which you assuredly do NOT. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!........................

AuntAlf,

There is nothing "redeeming" in SFP glass that won't/can't hold zero,track or repeat...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only thing you 'shoot",is your mouth and Imagination. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for crying.

Hint.

Laughing!................

'T,

The wares she's trying to swoon,are simply Dog Schit,as a BEST fhuqking case example and she hasn't the faculties to process same,which only adds to the fhuqking humor! Hint.

Bless her heart for trying though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...................

horse',

Her 100yds,is your 500yds. Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would say that if money was not an issue, it is hard to beat one of the Nightforce offerings. That being said, I will put my money into the SWFA scopes hands down, for quality per dollar spent.

I am not an extreme long-range hunter, as I believe that the animals deserve better, but different conversation. My longest kill ever was a Wyoming elk at 449 yards. It was with a holdover, as I had not gotten into the dialing thing yet. I have killed a number of animals out around the 400-yard range, which worked well with my dialers, but could have easily been done with a hold-over and knowing your ballistics.

The dialing is hands down a better deal IF you have time to do that. In many common hunting scenarios, the animal may not cooperate enough to allow time for the dialing. If you are shooting at extreme range, then you should generally have more than enough time to dial. If you are just using a set-and-forget scope, then the options are a bit easier. If you dial, then the scope had better be repeatable and return to zero like it is suppose to. Several fairly expensive scopes do not have a reputation for doing this.

Then there is the fact that everybody's definition of "long" range is different.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 10gaugemag, 16 invisible), 1,609 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,943
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.