Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Just be sure that before you shoot a doe, you go up and try milking her to make sure that she is dry. wink

Should probably check for a condom hanging out of her as well in case she belongs to a kiwi.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For me I do have some shoulder issues due to rugby and baseball. Can still shoot a bow and draw it say about 10-12 times at 65lbs before shoulder starts getting to sore. Which is more than enough honestly

I have keratoconis which makes using a bow pretty difficult since my vision is only getting worse, but with single pin adjustable sight can make it work seeing the bright pin and a ghosting pin beside it. If pin is bright can’t see anything but the pin and nothing behind it

Truth is I work too dang much(50-60hrs a weekend), and have 3 kids. Hard to find the time to practice sufficiently with a bow to feel adequate anymore. I hunt Tn with a compound Occasionally as I typically only shoot does Inside 25-30. Not many bucks here worth even targeting Plus like slumlord said. It’s typically miserably hot in the stand here

When I go to Ohio I shoot a crossbow as I do not want to handicap myself with my own lack of practice and my physical limits

So yeah I think your right skeen. Truly do

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Just be sure that before you shoot a doe, you go up and try milking her to make sure that she is dry. wink

Should probably check for a condom hanging out of her as well in case she belongs to a kiwi.

Ouch,

we tell jokes about folks from the Ozarks and Appalachians.

You fellas take in a whole country!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Ouch,

we tell jokes about folks from the Ozarks and Appalachians.

You fellas take in a whole country!

Not really, most of them are here anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I can go out anytime I want, just unzip the case and head up the hill on the wheeler.

I just sort of morphed into hunting with a muzzleoader/shotgun on the federal army post during our Tn archery.

That and I mostly use bow season to tweak a dozen stands, tidy up lanes on two diff properties.

I didnt buy my federal permits this year, it’s hard for civilians to score an assignment under the current biologist and brigade leadership. So I’ll might actually break out that crossbow before muzzleoader session but I seriously doubt it. 😃

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Gotta ask..... How is it any different than using a .270 over a .480? Both do the job, both are legal, different folks different strokes?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by TheKid
The one thing I would like to see my home state do in regards to the deer season is to do away with weapons restrictions. When I was a kid crossbows were verboten without a medical waver. Muzzleloaders couldn’t have any optics and pelletized powder, sabots, and 209 ignition either didn’t exist or nobody had heard of them. Nowadays it seems like with crossbows for everyone and slightly slower loading 45/70s and 444s that shoot MOA groups at 200 yards being called muzzleloaders we’re kinda circumventing the spirit of the primitive seasons.
We’re allowed about 10 deer a year here with no more than two bucks and we have deer up the wazoo, so why even have the “primitive” seasons that %90 of guys are using the most efficient high tech gear to hunt anyway. Leave the limit the same and just make anything you want to use legal. Shoot your two bucks and you’re done unless you want to shoot does.
I still use a recurve bow and sidelock muzzleloader, not that I’m better than the guys with crossbows and inlines but I enjoy the challenge. If I HAVE to kill a deer I’ll hunt the late doe season and kill a couple then with a rifle.

It's entirely likely your State can't do away with those restrictions. Many (most? ) times they are in place to help to limit the harvest.

If "anything you want to use" was made legal, and the seasons left as is, with the length from primitive weapons, archery, muzzelloader seasons added on to your general season I can pretty well guarantee you most everyone would be taking their full 10 deer and the ones that weren't would be using their 30-06s to hunt for their big bucks for the length of all the seasons combined. And I can pretty well guarantee you within a couple of seasons the state would cut the limits to 5 deer, then 3 deer, then maybe one buck and one doe.

One would think so Geno but I kinda doubt it honestly. They practically beg us to shoot does, I think this year you can shoot 4 with a rifle in most areas. I know one family who tries to fill all their tags every year, and they eat every bit of the dozen or so deer they shoot every year plus an elk or two some years. Otherwise I couldn’t show you one guy who wants to shoot more than one or two deer a year, much less does. On the eastern side of the state it’s a little different, people over there subsistence hunt and a lot of the time whenever and wherever they want to boot But by and large your average deer hunter out here is interested in shooting bucks and that’s all.
I also don’t see how it’s really limiting the harvest to any great existent when you can use a smokeless muzzleloader with a scope that will kill deer at 250 yards easily.

I understand where you’re coming from I just don’t feel like it applies as much these days. If they went to one buck and 9 does any take with a 3 month season it would work even better IMO.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Im all beat up and still hunt w a recurve.
Hell if Im gonna shoot small deer might as well make it somewhat of a challenge.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I’m a prick during muzzleoader season too

Savage stainless 10 ml smokeless, 250gr hornady xtp, mmp sabot, vitaVhoiri n120 55grns

EGW bases, burris tactical rings, zeiss conquest

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I’m a prick during muzzleoader season too

Savage stainless 10 ml smokeless, 250gr hornady xtp, mmp sabot, vitaVhoiri n120 55grns

EGW bases, burris tactical rings, zeiss conquest

I don't see how it matters what people choose to hunt with...I am just pleased to be able to talk to hunters who understand.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think some hunters use a bow.
And that some archers hunt.

There being a bit of difference in heart.

Dont care what people use.
As long as its legal.

Xbows just aint for me.
Even on cold mornings where I hurt like hell damn near everywhere.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/04/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hookeye
I think some hunters use a bow.
And that some archers hunt.

There being a bit of difference in heart.

Dont care what people use.
As long as its legal.

Xbows just aint for me.
Even on cold mornings where I hurt like hell damn near everywhere.

Yeah well, that whole legal thing is more of a guideline too.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I gave up MZ hunting years ago.
Damn cold when our season comes around.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by skeen
Everbody, at least on this forum, who uses a crossbow has to preface the conversation with, "I use a crossbow, but I have to because I've had 14 shoulder surgeries due to a grilled cheese frying incident I suffered in 1982."

Or something like that. Admit it, you bought a crossbow because it's easier to kill a deer with one than a compound. It's not only easier but requires less practice.

Maybe its always prefaced that way because a lot of bowhunters are dicks....

A whole lotta truth in that.

Yes, there certainly is a lot of truth in that. Consider the archery hunter who's using a 80% let off compound, wearing scent suppressing clothing with an ozone machine screwed above their head, a laser rangefinder to distance the deer, wi-fi trail cameras, lighted sights, glowing nocks, expandable broadheads, mechanical releases, etc., lamenting how x-bow hunters are ruining their "traditional" sport.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Sounds challenging. Maybe switch that season with the archery season?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If they really really really want to reduce the population they need to do that unpopular thing.

Can't take a buck until you've harvested two does.

And they should fill buses with folks from over East if they need more deer killed. Seems like those folks have the right idea.

I lived in a county in PA back in '99-'00 that issued thousands of antlerless permits a year. Most years less than half were claimed and I knew folks that bought theirs with no intention of using them just so other hunters couldn't purchase them. They hunted does in other counties as their daddy and grandpa told them "don't hunt your does where you hunt your bucks" (as they learned when there weren't herds of deer around). So of course, 20 years later they're still trying to reduce the population.

https://www.timesobserver.com/sports/local-sports/2020/06/thousands-of-dmap-doe-tags-available/

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Urban zones here are " earn a buck ".

Wonder how many phantom does get smoked....since check in now can be done online or call in.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Boy there would be wailing and gnashing and of teeth if Tn started an Earn A Buck.

Tn hunters long in the teeth are used to being to tagging 11 bucks per season if they were successful.

They do it earn a buck on the federal reservation from time to time. Made hunters kill 2 does.

The deer density in East Tn is very different from Middle and West.

There are a lot of traveling hunters that migrate this way and stay in hotels to take advantage of the 3 does per day limit.

It evens out.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by HawkI

Sounds challenging. Maybe switch that season with the archery season?

My avatar deer was shot w a TC Hawken Silver Elite during the reg firearms season. Doubt I top that one.

Trying to get a P&Y w Blackwidow recurve. But most times when gun season opens im toting a boomstick.

Current hunting spot not as good as my old one.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/04/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's the effective crossbow kill range of a full grown Antifa transgender man bun warrior in season?

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1minute, 007FJ, 270cowboy, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.