Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
Uhhh... I'm kinda late to this party, but it's kinda difficult to find a round that will NOT work on whitetail... so of course a 7mm-08 will be fine. As would about 50-60 other choices...

If you might like a Model 99 for that, you might also like a BLR 81... assuming they might have chambered some in 7mm-08.

-Chris

Only 50-60?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Heh... I think I was being conservative... certainly not counting all the "obsolete" (or at least old-ish) cartridges or the wildcats. smile

I suspect the "perfect" selection is always a matter of "nuance" as defined by the selector... very few clear winners unless comparing one for apples (varmints?), one for oranges (brown bears?), etc.

-Chris

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have killed both plenty of prairie dogs and a Cape buffalo with the .375 H&H. Works great for both!

But have never used it on a whitetail.... :-)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have killed both plenty of prairie dogs and a Cape buffalo with the .375 H&H. Works great for both!

You do have them bracketed!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mathman

Bet you wouldn't have a question where the bullet landed with a near miss on a PD. You could see where the earth erupted...

Would probably over penetrate a WT.... wink

DF

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Bet you wouldn't have a question where the bullet landed with a near miss on a PD. You could see where the earth erupted...

DF

Overpenetration was a problem endemic to the 375 and prairie dogs. That's why the Brits developed a cartridge for "vermin" they called, the 300 H&H. Problem solved!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

DF

Overpenetration was a problem endemic to the 375 and prairie dogs. That's why the Brits developed a cartridge for "vermin" they called, "the 300 H&H. Problem solved!

Ha!

DF

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

DF

Overpenetration was a problem endemic to the 375 and prairie dogs. That's why the Brits developed a cartridge for "vermin" they called, "the 300 H&H. Problem solved!

Ha!

DF

And to think yesterday at this time, folks were going at me because the thread was veering off and nearing 100 posts. Now it's 375 H&H and prarie dogs. You guys are incorrigible, and I disavow any responsibility for any further silliness. smile

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shaman

DF

Ha!

DF

And to think yesterday at this time, folks were going at me because the thread was veering off and nearing 100 posts. Now it's 375 H&H and prarie dogs. You guys are incorrigible, and I disavow any responsibility for any further silliness. smile

Can’t give up now...!

DF

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Can’t give up now...!

DF

I suppose you're right. I just came out of the secret underground shamanic loading facility with 25 rounds loaded. If all goes well with the weather, I'll have an answer for y'all about how it shot by Monday AM.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've enjoyed this thread. I was considering a 7-08, then I got to doing some ballistics comparisons. My Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor will do about anything the 7-08 will do for deer sized game. That being said, good luck on your 7-08 deer hunt Shaman!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=Ohio7x57]I've enjoyed this thread. I was considering a 7-08, then I got to doing some ballistics comparisons. My Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor will do about anything the 7-08 will do for deer sized game. That being said, good luck on your 7-08 deer hunt Shaman!

Ron, i own 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor and many other caliber/cartridges i enjoy loading and shooting them all ,i even purchased a 7mm-08 and a 6.5 Creedmoor both in Browning BLR S,S, rifles just for fun but i have a soft spot for a 7mm-08 before they became popular since my dear old friend built me a custom 7mm-08 and that`s the cartridge the 7mm-08 my young son grew up killin big game for meat. i also made money shooting a 7mm-08 for money years ago when kids were small in the winter on the weekends,i made a deal with my wife and kids if i won that day with my 7mm-08 rifle in the money shoot we went for supper and they were so happy when i called said get your coats on supper is on me. this was all 25-30 years ago back when my custom 7mm-08 always did well with my handloads and i bet that rifle would still compete well in those winter money shoots. but yes the 6.5 Creedmoor is a great cartridge too so is my new toy a 257 Creedmoor but i still have a soft spot for my 7mm-08 rifles.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I've enjoyed this thread. I was considering a 7-08, then I got to doing some ballistics comparisons. My Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor will do about anything the 7-08 will do for deer sized game. That being said, good luck on your 7-08 deer hunt Shaman!

Ron

I'd say you're set then.

Let's ask the question: Shaman, why did you pick the 7mm-08 ?

I've tried to be rational on my rifle choices, otherwise I knew I'd have all the closets full like my buddy Bob, my sponsor in Gun Addicts Anonymous. Bob taught me to manage my addiction.
1) I had piles of 308 brass piling up. I also have a pile of 30-06 rifles and one 308 WIN rifle already. I wanted something that would eat 308 brass, but break new ground.
2) The 6.5 Creed is starting to speak to me, but. . . I'm not shooting at long distances
3) If you take my 25-06 and 308/30-06 and split the difference, you get closer to 7mm than 6.5
4) I hate 270 WIN with a passion-- I know it's just a thing, but I can't help it. It delights me that I can get all that vaunted 270 WIN performance (give or take) and never buy a 270 WIN rifle
5) A lot of people were talking up 7's around me before they were talking up 6.5
6) I dig the concept of 6.5 Creed the sameway that I dig the concept of 7mm-08 -- an updated/improved standardization of a venerable round (6.5 Creed updates the 6.5X55 Swede-- 7mm-08 updates the 7X57)
7) I'm beginning to like the versatility of the 7mm-08. When I'm putting my feet up at Mister Browning's Store, I'll refer to it as my "Seven -Em-Em." When I'm feeling Continental, I can call it my "Seven by Fifty-One". If I want to get all snobby, I'll call it my "275 Short Rigby." All of a sudden I've got 3 rifles in one!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Creed, Swede, 7-08, etc. Have those plus a bunch of others.

They all shoot good. Deer cannot tell the difference. They die and end up hanging at the skinning shed.

Only a Loony would split hairs and ruminate over such minutiae.

But, ain't it fun... grin

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57

Ron

I'd say you're set then.

Let's ask the question: Shaman, why did you pick the 7mm-08 ?

I've tried to be rational on my rifle choices, otherwise I knew I'd have all the closets full like my buddy Bob, my sponsor in Gun Addicts Anonymous. Bob taught me to manage my addiction.
1) I had piles of 308 brass piling up. I also have a pile of 30-06 rifles and one 308 WIN rifle already. I wanted something that would eat 308 brass, but break new ground.
2) The 6.5 Creed is starting to speak to me, but. . . I'm not shooting at long distances
3) If you take my 25-06 and 308/30-06 and split the difference, you get closer to 7mm than 6.5
4) I hate 270 WIN with a passion-- I know it's just a thing, but I can't help it. It delights me that I can get all that vaunted 270 WIN performance (give or take) and never buy a 270 WIN rifle
5) A lot of people were talking up 7's around me before they were talking up 6.5
6) I dig the concept of 6.5 Creed the sameway that I dig the concept of 7mm-08 -- an updated/improved standardization of a venerable round (6.5 Creed updates the 6.5X55 Swede-- 7mm-08 updates the 7X57)
7) I'm beginning to like the versatility of the 7mm-08. When I'm putting my feet up at Mister Browning's Store, I'll refer to it as my "Seven -Em-Em." When I'm feeling Continental, I can call it my "Seven by Fifty-One". If I want to get all snobby, I'll call it my "275 Short Rigby." All of a sudden I've got 3 rifles in one!

Mental Masturbation Gold Medal Winner... Runner up in the Pole Vaulting Mouse Turds Event laugh

We’ve all been there!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I haven't tried the 120ttsx but I'm a 120bt convert. It took me awhile to give it a try but the 7-08/120bt combo almost seems designed to be used together

^^^^ This! ^^^^

The 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip is a wicked killer in the 7mm-08. Easy on the shoulder, too.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Mental Masturbation Gold Medal Winner... Runner up in the Pole Vaulting Mouse Turds Event laugh

We’ve all been there!

So I had PointBlank loaded this morning and thought I'd see how my new 7mm-08 load would look next to my standard 165 grain 30-06 load.

After all that trouble-- years of cogitation and reading and asking questions. I found that, given both a sighting-in 2" high at 100 yards, they had nearly identical trajectories until way-way out there.

Granted, I'm accomplishing it with 1/4 less the recoil, but still!

I suppose that's a good thing, and it'll mean something 20 years from now when they're wheeling me out to my blind.

Last edited by shaman; 10/09/20.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
25% of the recoil?? shocked

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas
25% of the recoil?? shocked

OOOPS! Fixed it. I meant 3/4 of the recoil.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In KY, a 154 grain Hornady Interlock and R17. Kill anything you are likely to run into just fine.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1936M71, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,108
Posts18,522,636
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.