Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Anybody else here shooting one? How's it shoot? Have any favorite ammo choices?

I just got one in here. Put a SWFA 10X in a 20 MOA base, atop the factory 30 MOA rail. Should give me around 45 mils/150 moa with the erector plus reticle.

Put a muzzle doo-dad up front to soften the sting of recoil, and break up the sound a bit.

No suppressor in my future until they are on off-the-shelf purchase without ATF approval.

I just put this together today, and hit it with some rattlecan love. Will get it shooting soon. Probably need to put a bunch of cheap bulk through the bore to get it dirty, then see how it shoots. I don't have any great target ammo, but do have some Federal Target, CCI Velocitor, Rem Gold Bullet, and Federal Bulk 36gr.

Anyhoo, should be a fun little rig.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
another good paint job...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good. I am interested in how it shoots.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll follow up here as I go along with different ammo, as it becomes available.

My 10/22 hangs around 1" at 50 yards with the bulk ammo, and I don't expect too much different with this rifle with the bulk ammo, but we'll see. Looking forward to trying some CCI SV, Green Tag, SK Red, Wolf Match, maybe some Eley, but that's kind of rich for my barrel I'm thinking.

I figure the paint should add at least .1 moa to the accuracy....probably more.....grin Maybe keep it a little cooler in the summer sun anyway. Wouldn't want that stock melting down.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
MM,

Based on my experience with the Rimfire Americans, if you get a good one, it should be a solid MOA gun (just barely) with decent Standard vel ammo it likes ( SK ,Wolf, Norma etc).

If you get a dog, 1.5 to 2 MOA .

The good news is that Green Mountain makes some nice drop in replacment barrels for about $150..

And honestly I would rather sink another $150 in your gun to make it shoot than most of the 10/22 builds I have seen.

Last edited by jk16; 10/09/20.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
jk16, ER Shaw makes legit match chambered barrels too I believe. The barrel nut setup similar too an AR should make a barrel swap very easy. That was part of my decision making too. So yeah, if this barrel ever needs an upgrade, it should be easy to DIY.

I don't really love the aluminum receiver on the 10/22, I've stripped out one of the receiver holes on top already, and it doesn't instill any happiness or confidence, especially with a heavier scope. The TC version of the 10/22 with integral rail might be a good thing though.

Also I like the Ruger magazines compatibility between the 10/22 and the RPR. I already have several in 10 and 15 round size, so that keeps logistics simplified in that regard.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I haven’t done extensive ammo testing with mine. Geco Match was recommended and works well for me. I tried this against Remington subsonic which is great in a Savage bull barrel that I have. The RPR preferred the Geco to the Remington

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Take it from an old rimfire benchrest shooter, don't shoot a precision rifle real dirty. I always kept mine clean and just fired a few shots to foul (actually what you are doing is coating the length of your barrel with bullet lube) the bore and settle your rifle down. As my gunsmith who built several rifles that won National Championships and which set benchrest records told me. "You can repeat clean, you can't reliably repeat various levels of dirty." A rimfire chamber's leade will develop a carbon/lead ring over time and that is detrimental to accuracy. I always cleaned with a brass/bronze brush to keep that lead/carbon ring in check.

A new rifle's bore can be a bit rough. We would shoot a brick of ammo thru our brand new rifles before getting serious about accuracy. I would also put some IOSSO paste on a patch and stroke the chamber area for the first couple outings/cleanings to smooth out any rough spots from cutting the chamber. Also, a precision rifle with a match chamber will perform best with std. velocity match quality ammo like Lapua, Eley, SK and RWS. And, believe or not, std vel ammo actually bucks the wind better than HV supersonic ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Order a Vudoo,the way you REALLY want it and never look back. You'll simply shoot it more,than all your other wares combined and blow your own mind,on the very first outing. There's nothing like the REAL thing. Hint.....................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I know everybody loves the Vudoo. I don't. I see an enormous receiver and magazines for a little ol' 22RF.

I know, I know, it's a 'trainer' for the 700/clone action. OK whatever, I don't train to that level. It just doesn't do much for me.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
jk16, ER Shaw makes legit match chambered barrels too I believe. The barrel nut setup similar too an AR should make a barrel swap very easy. That was part of my decision making too. So yeah, if this barrel ever needs an upgrade, it should be easy to DIY.

I don't really love the aluminum receiver on the 10/22, I've stripped out one of the receiver holes on top already, and it doesn't instill any happiness or confidence, especially with a heavier scope. The TC version of the 10/22 with integral rail might be a good thing though.

Also I like the Ruger magazines compatibility between the 10/22 and the RPR. I already have several in 10 and 15 round size, so that keeps logistics simplified in that regard.

I have a Shaw Barrel on my 10/22 and it does pretty darned good. Like all of my guns, I haven't really had a chance to ring it out a whole lot, but it has shown promise.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I know everybody loves the Vudoo. I don't. I see an enormous receiver and magazines for a little ol' 22RF.

I know, I know, it's a 'trainer' for the 700/clone action. OK whatever, I don't train to that level. It just doesn't do much for me.

I simply shoot it all and can extrapolate side by each,as per whim. Hint.(grin)

Intellestingly,when measuring from front receiver ring or recoil lug(whichever is longer),these are how the chips fall. Annie 54's are 7-3/8" in length,from receiver ring to end of an uncocked bolt. A Vudoo is 7-1/4" to the front of the recoil lug and a RAR 7" to it's receiver ring. If only because I just stacked 'em all up and measured. To me,1/4" ain't a deal in receiver length. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Now the mags play more than a few roles,which attribute to Reliability and Precision,in conjunction with the Vudoo's CRF fodder transportation mechanism. Them designs bear fruit and exhibit zero boolit deformation,which do not hurt the equation. Hint.

Then there's the merit of the bedding surface,trigger selection and of course stock selection,which simply all feeds outta the S/A 700's rather deep trough of choices. Hint.

I'm of the opinion,that it don't hurt the equation,to have multiple chamberings mirror another's manual of arms. Same goes scopes. Much to be said for sharing ergo's too. Meld all of it together and you just might be "training",whether you know it,or not. Hint.

There's much to be said,for being atop the mountain looking down,rather than the bottom looking up. The S/S RAR Rimfires are Skookum,but the blued RPR version a Train Wreck,due the stock and CM. Poke 'em in a laminate and they do rather nice things,for rather few bucks and such things do not tend to piss me off. Shaw,GM,Mcgowen and the like aren't real barrels,nor close,or are RAR spouts,if only because that isn't their focus. I've got LOTS of Rimfire barrels and blank quality,reamer selection and Plumber skeelz matter. Which is a GROSS understatement. Hint.

NOBODY believes,until they get behind the trigger and then it ALL makes sense. You would simply schit in your own pants and the sole regret,would be that you didn't do it sooner. Kinda' like a fhuqking scope,that actually does what it's supposed to. There's nothing prior,to base the revelations upon and minds get blown immediately and of course reliably,as it can go NO other way. Hint.

Rest assured,I ain't guessin'...................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I know they are outstanding rifles. There was/is plenty of Vudoo interest around here too.

They had a local rimfire ELR shoot nearby last year to promote them. Several on the line. 1st place was an RPR(Shaw barrel I believe), 2d, 3d, 4th were Vudoos. 5th RPR. Bunch of other stuff after that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you trying to talk me into another Vudoo?!? It just might work! Hint. Laughing!(grin)

Proficiency cain't be purchased...but I'd rather be at the top looking down,than the bottom looking up. Hint.

I had Bob build me a run of 75MOA 1913 extended rails for my 54's and I'd REALLY like to see a 75 MOA Vudoo rail. 60 MoMo's is a start,but nothings chews up erector travel,like a 22LR. I've several 54's that are at 52 Mil's+,all in.

I really don't wanna fhuqk around with a Charlie TARAC and very MUCH appreciate huge erectors and an etched windshield. Mainly because I flog on schit and I'd yard sale the TARAC as an opening fhuqking move! Hint. LAUGHING!

You don't know what you are missing!

Hint.......................(grin)

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I hear ya.

I'm gonna get some time in with this Ruger and see what it can/cannot do.

It's been breezy around here today (30-40 gusting 60) and I haven't put anything on paper yet. Got some firewood stacked though, and did the kitchen table boresight on a fence post about 40 yards out. That put the erector only about 2 mils up from the bottom (SWFA 10X), so that aspect looks pretty good. Looks like I'll have about 50 mils to play with between erector and reticle.

On paper looks like 600-800 yards of adjustment, depending on ammo speed, 1050-ish, 1250-ish, or 1450-ish(Velocitor).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A Boyd plywood handle,would nip a bunch and fast track the pending Chassis War. Hint.(grin)

That aside,you have serious atmospheric advantages over I and like erector travel,from a like zero,with like ammo,is going to grant you Long Range opportunities that I simply can't get to. 52 Mils all in for me is 725yds and you get an extry 50yds out of the deal with a like correction,which would require another 6 mil's of ele correction for me to reach. Must be nice?!? Hint.

There is nothing as FUN,as Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. A rifle in which you have ultimate faith within,only sweetens the pot and there is no better way to increase wind reading skills. Hint.

You're hooked and don't even know it yet...................

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
As far as I know Boyds doesn't make any stock that would fit this RPR.

I don't believe the Boyd's Ruger American Rimfire stock fits the RPR. I could be wrong though. Quite a different inlet would be required.

The RPR has a barrel nut similar to an AR15, that screws onto the outboard side of the receiver. Takedown via AR armorers wrench.

Here's a quick and dirty vid,

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I've enjoyed some long range 22 action with this setup. The little scope has 120 moa. With the Burris Sig rings and +/- 20s, I could dial up 90 moa. Enough to get to 450-500.....depending on the temp.

The RPR and 10X will give longer legs to the effort....grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I was brainfarting,as I was bolting rifles together and was on a MDT/Laminate tangent,amongst other things. Hint.(grin)

This is Ruger's BEST Pitch,Thus Far RINK Except they fhuqk it up,by not at least doing a S/S spout. Hint.

Trouble with a 1-5x Reupold,is the "tracking". I built Purple Reign ala KIDD ULW spout,with Tony trigger and Hogue,which wears a Romeo 5 as a default,but did toss a Fixed Fhuqker aboard to see WTF. TALLLLLL Paper,do tell THE Story and Reupold cain't begin to play,excepting perhaps the MK4 M1 16x. Hint.

With/without bipod and being GENTLE with,while scoped. Hint.

Your 10/22 wearing the Fixed Fhuqker,is the best melding of wares...but I'd want Boyd's there,as a minimum. Hint.

Did I mention TALLLLLL Paper?!? Hint......................(grin)

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
The linked Ruger looks pretty nice.

I've had the MK4 16X aboard the 10/22, but that scope and stock have been moved along several years ago. Great stock too, but I wanted something ambi.

Tough to go wrong with the SWFA SS line, and some significant forward slope in the base.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.