Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by greydog
I'm with Brad on this one. When I'm hiking or camping, the fact that grizzlies are around is part of the deal. The same goes for other predators. Without them, the experience is diminished. In fact, if the presence of bears serves to keep even a few people away, I'm all for them. GD

There is a wide gap between wanting them as part of the ecosystem and not wanting them eradicated, and removing federal protections.

I like having them out there, but the idea I'm going to prison for blowing the guts out of one for eating my chickens or getting into my shop is a bitter pill.

The shell game FWP plays moving them around in secret is an enormous waste of taxpayer money, among other things.

MAGA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not their biggest fan, but have learned to give them the respect they deserve. My hometown is ground zero for their "new" expansion area. One was on my high school lawn a couple years ago. The newest rash of sightings is square nuts in my old deer hunting grounds.

They're not going anywhere...and they're not doing anything but becoming more common for the foreseeable future so a guy may as well learn to deal with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gruff shares my frustration with the legal aspects of having them around for sure. They've got more protections on them, and have more value put on their life than on humans.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Gruff shares my frustration with the legal aspects of having them around for sure. They've got more protections on them, and have more value put on their life than on humans.

That's just it. Not many I know who live and work in and amongst them want them eradicated. But the idea I'm getting the third degree from the feds and looking at 10's of thousands in fines (if not prison) for killing one if they don't determine fits their parameters means sentiment runs high against them.

If they are so damned cool, then they ought to be walking around downtown Bozeman, Missoula, and every other bastion of [bleep]. Wonder how that would work out lol.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It sure would change the way I do things around here if they still existed in this area. I now generally take a flashlight out beyond the "dog fence" in the backyard or if I go out to the driveway or shop at night. Just to see if there might be a skunk out there. Most everything else here is pretty shy of humans and hauls ass when the spotlight goes on or they hear the door open. Skunks just don't GAS.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Defense of Life and Property regulation go through in the lower 48 like they have up in AK. They still have that, right?

Same goes for wolves. When I lived in AZ I couln't believe a rancher could lethally take a wolf for killing a sheep worth a couple hundred bucks, but I was supposed to watch one run off with at that time an $800 dog we loved and lived with. Makes no sense to this fella.

BGG, I hope you never have to deal with the repercussions.

All you guys, please lobby for reintroduction of the grizzle bears to CA, starting with the LA basin where they were native back when the Spaniards arrived. Then any extras can go to the Bay Area (Berkely first?) and let's not forget Sucktomento. After all, the Golden Bear is on our flag, shouldn't we want it back. Y'all would be glad to send us any extras you have, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The one thing survivors of bear attacks remember if they live, is the smell of the bears breath as he bites them in the head trying to crush their skulls. They say its something theyll never forget.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
All you guys, please lobby for reintroduction of the grizzle bears to CA, starting with the LA basin where they were native back when the Spaniards arrived. Then any extras can go to the Bay Area (Berkely first?) and let's not forget Sucktomento. After all, the Golden Bear is on our flag, shouldn't we want it back. Y'all would be glad to send us any extras you have, right?

I was kicked off a "Scientific" California based forum a while back. Some professor was espousing the reintroduction of the grizzly into California. How wonderful it would be to bring back the Golden Bear. All warm and fuzzy.

In a response I brought up the history of the grizzlies in this state that once attacked and ate countless heads of livestock, indians, padres and settlers. They were fearless predators from the arroyos of S. California hills the way up the Pacific coast range and the entire Sierra Nevada and throughout the central valley. The famous hunter/trapper Grizzly Adams lived not far from here. There is good reason they are extinct in this state, I wrote.

Got the Ban Hammer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well schiedt,

there goes my idea of having them big puppy dog critters back.

I heard some of those grizz were biggies here too. All year growing season, lots of stuff to eat in various locations. Acorns in the valleys of SoCal, salmon all the way up the San Joaquin to the Kern I think, not to mention the Sac. Elk in the Central Valley. Indians as you mentioned.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
The Indians I know in and around Browning.....hate grizzly bears.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by BluMtn
My daughter and SIL live off of I15 in Montana in the wheatfields. They have an app on their phone and the town alerts them when a grizz is passing through town. They have had to shelter in place until the grizzlies leave town. And it happens more than a person thinks considering they are not real close to any mountains ranges.

By order of whom?

The town they live in has the app set up.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry Blu, but I don't think you answered the question that Gruff asked.

Your daughter isn't in your avatar is she? Want a new SIL?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
The Indians I know in and around Browning.....hate grizzly bears.

They sure do. I wonder if its in their centuries of genetics?

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We saw a 10 inch track on the road tonight while walking the dogs. Big yawn. smile

True, our coastal brownies are reputed to be a lot more mellow than interior griz (same bear), due to an abundance of food making them more mellow. They are around all the time in season, and I haven't seen one in years, here.

Doesn't mean I don't pack heat when we go trail hiking.

Those MT/WY griz need a season on them to teach them some manners.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We are allowed to shoot bears which are a threat to ourselves or our livestock IF they are on our property or are an imminent threat. Unfortunately, this has often led to someone launching a preemptive strike just because he wants to shoot a bear.
In remote areas, there are bears but fewer people but, close in, there are still bears and more people. In addition, there are a lot of visitors who think they should be just fine jogging through a berry patch. Naturally, there are occasional conflicts and that's just the way it is. Too many people; not too many bears. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We are allowed to shoot bears which are a threat to ourselves or our livestock IF they are on our property or are an imminent threat. Unfortunately, this has often led to someone launching a preemptive strike just because he wants to shoot a bear.
In remote areas, there are bears but fewer people but, close in, there are still bears and more people. In addition, there are a lot of visitors who think they should be just fine jogging through a berry patch. Naturally, there are occasional conflicts and that's just the way it is. Too many people; not too many bears. GD

lol

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My daughter and SIL live off of I15 in Montana in the wheatfields. They have an app on their phone and the town alerts them when a grizz is passing through town. They have had to shelter in place until the grizzlies leave town. And it happens more than a person thinks considering they are not real close to any mountains ranges.

By order of whom?

The town they live in has the app set up.

Sorry Blu, what I meant was were they ordered to shelter in place?

Having that app could be really handy, especially if they've got kids.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
Darn that has to be edgy.

Beats a cul-de-sac in Bozeman lol. Id rather live in the woods than post about 2 weeks a year hunting in them.

Crossing the creek behind my house to hunt deer with your kid takes on a whole different dimension when your dragging it through the willows and there's a big fugging grizz on camera from a day or 2 ago.

I know there's Alaskans' that'll post pics of a 15' coastal brownie eating dog food off their porch.

I chose to live here, just wish we weren't beholden to commie fuggs when it comes to being able to shoot a problem bear.

Whatever happened to SSS?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sig line material right there.

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Sorry Blu, but I don't think you answered the question that Gruff asked.

Your daughter isn't in your avatar is she? Want a new SIL?

God no that is not my daughter. My avatar calls my honey in my dreams every night. And as far as a new SIL I am afraid you don't own enough land in Montana to qualify for that job. grin grin grin

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

423 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,121
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.