Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
My wife s uncle had died a few months ago,and her and my brother in law are cleaning out the house.he was hoarder for sure.they ve taken carloads to the dump. Donated bags of brand new clothes,all 3x size.
She needed, me to come over right away,they found "gun stuff" and a "live cannon ball".i m laughing now,ok i m on my way.i get there and on the back porch is the "cannon" ball. I show them the stamp,"HEALTHWAYS",12LB.
its a shot put.not a cannon ball. I just thank God they didn t call the bomb squad.i had to have my wife google it to prove what i m saying. Now to the "gun stuff," a trapdoor springfield bayonet,a ww2 gas mask,a springfield cadet rifle bayonet,a civil war artillery sword,with scabbard.
Two short sword bayonets i haven t looked up yet,and a 1906 remington rolling block single shot .22 ,in pieces,looks to be all there,thumb piece on action is broken off.bore looks like a sewer pipe.my winter project.
Sometimes its nice to have non gun people in the family,for some reason,these types of things scare them to death,just get this dangerous stuff out of here,i don t want it in the house.
Over the years i ve gotten a lot of good stuff from guys i work with and friends and relatives,same old story,"Uncle Dave", dies,they go through his stuff,find a box of shells,and old bayonet,an old H& R 12 ga. With a 30" barrel,etc.they freak out,"oh my God,those bullets were in the closet,thank God they didn t go off!!!!" What can i give you for this stuff? Just get rid of it !!!!!
Thanks,i ll take all you find.Mabey one day it will be a Parker in its case,or a pre 64 Winchester super grade,i can dream.
Anyone else get any goodies from freaked out friends and relations?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Father in law passed last year...he had 3 guns hung on the fireplace...I seen him hang them in the mid 70s, I fly down and see.famdammly an grab them up.and haul them home. One pistole from 1790something a rifle from the 1840,s and another from.1854 from England converted to shoot what looks like a third or half a 12gauge round......wth.!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by atvalaska
....and another from.1854 from England converted to shoot what looks like a third or half a 12gauge round......wth.!

Neat.

Granted i can’t see it, but it is as likely the english 12ga is not “converted”, but rather original regarding the short hull length, and that’d be pretty neat. Historically, the 12ga reigned supreme in England, and common were shotshell designs of varying length according to a gun’s purpose and time period, but all 12ga; rather than producing different gauges of gun.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I hope that while once you knew what it was.....you dropped it! The expressions would have been priceless! memtb me

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Father in law passed last year...he had 3 guns hung on the fireplace...I seen him hang them in the mid 70s, I fly down and see.famdammly an grab them up.and haul them home. One pistole from 1790something a rifle from the 1840,s and another from.1854 from England converted to shoot what looks like a third or half a 12gauge round......wth.!

Might Make sure the muzzleloaders are not loaded. I would venture to guess a good 50% + of original guns brought into the shop were still loaded.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Had a similar experience ckeaning out my wife's grandfather's home following his death. Excepting him (and wifey) they are all staunch card carrying democrats. Guns were found in the attic....oh my!

"We know you like guns (with a slight look of disgust). Pease just take these and get them out of here as fast as you can! Take em! ". The guns were wrapped in blankets...well oiled thankfully.

Original 1800's era Marlin 1892 that looked so nice you'd mistske it for a Turnbul restoration. 95%

1835 Harpers Ferry musket in remarkable condition.

The two rifles were appraised at $2500 and $6000 respectively.

While cleaning the attic out I also found a human skull. The family said he got it in South America as a result of a jaguar kill.

I played the role of helpful obedient in law and cleared all that distasteful stuff out of the house as fast as fast as I could....😏

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by memtb

I hope that while once you knew what it was.....you dropped it! The expressions would have been priceless! memtb me

Lolol.....I have a dummy pineapple grenade and the unit that it connects to for firing as a rifle grenade. My daughter was asking me about it so I explained that pulling the pin with the handle being squeezed and throwing it was how you used it. I pulled the pin and simulated throwing it but it slipped (on purpose) and fell at our feet. She started crying and I felt bad....but damn it was funny.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I had a guy I work with give me a model 12 FWT that he I think he inherited from his brother. Just didn't want it around his kids.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Guy I used to work with came in one day and was telling me that they were moving dad into assisted living, he and his brother had already taken his good guns. There were 2 guns left that neither wanted and dad asked him to see if he could get $20 each for them. He told his dad yeah I know a guy at work who does some gunshows (me) I'll get him to get rid of them. So he brings dad's guns in and asked me to see what I could do. I waited awhile and looked him up and told him I sold them for $125 then handed him the cash. He wanted to give me a 20 for taking care of his chore. I told him no it was on me. He was satisfied because he thought they were junk. The bolt action 12ga went to a buddy who wanted it for 75 and that old "war rifle 30-06" a 1917 Eddystone Enfield that was bubba sporterized is mine forever. He told me it shot around corners but it don't just nice tight groups with about any weight loads you run thru it. It allways pays to help people dispose of those nasty guns. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A good friend of mine lives in a large city and was a warehouse manager of a box store. He was always having people come to him and asking him since he hunted if he would be interested in some guns that they had recently acquired through a death or putting a parent in a nursing home. So he would call me and ask if I would be interested in certain guns or just what they were worth. It is amazing what the older generation had stored in their closets.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wife’s grandparents moved to assisted living and their family asked me asked me to take granddad’s filthy guns stored in the attic. “We know you like things like that...just take them, get them out of our sight!”

I did my duty for the in-laws and was proud to do so. Wrapped in a blanket was an original Marlin 1895 22LR, octagonal barrel, color case hardened, 95% condition. Turn of the century date of manufacture. The other filthy gun was an original Harpers Ferry 1835 flintlock musket. I had them professionally appraised just for kicks. The Harpers Ferry turned out to be a rare variant.

The appraisal was as follows: Marlin 22 - $1,700, Harpers Ferry - $6,900.

Also in the attic was a pristine human skull from a South American Jaguar kill...tooth holes in the skull. Go figure. Grandpa knew the history of that skull. Never knew what became of it.

Last edited by Godogs57; 12/27/20.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
When I was a kid I was taken over to my Uncle Garfield's (born when Garfield was president) farm to play with his grandson, my cousin. My cousin was playing with a "cap gun" that Garfield had given him. It turned out to be an original Colt .31 caliber pocket pistol. The "caps" were original percussion caps, which my cousin sometimes detonated by hitting them with the end of the pistol's grip. The pistol was in near mint condition except where my cousin had chipped off a piece of the grip. I told my father, who gave Garfield a fair market price for the pistol.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by superlight17b
My wife s uncle had died a few months ago,and her and my brother in law are cleaning out the house.he was hoarder for sure.they ve taken carloads to the dump. Donated bags of brand new clothes,all 3x size.
She needed, me to come over right away,they found "gun stuff" and a "live cannon ball".i m laughing now,ok i m on my way.i get there and on the back porch is the "cannon" ball. I show them the stamp,"HEALTHWAYS",12LB.
its a shot put.not a cannon ball. I just thank God they didn t call the bomb squad.i had to have my wife google it to prove what i m saying. Now to the "gun stuff," a trapdoor springfield bayonet,a ww2 gas mask,a springfield cadet rifle bayonet,a civil war artillery sword,with scabbard.
Two short sword bayonets i haven t looked up yet,and a 1906 remington rolling block single shot .22 ,in pieces,looks to be all there,thumb piece on action is broken off.bore looks like a sewer pipe.my winter project.
Sometimes its nice to have non gun people in the family,for some reason,these types of things scare them to death,just get this dangerous stuff out of here,i don t want it in the house.
Over the years i ve gotten a lot of good stuff from guys i work with and friends and relatives,same old story,"Uncle Dave", dies,they go through his stuff,find a box of shells,and old bayonet,an old H& R 12 ga. With a 30" barrel,etc.they freak out,"oh my God,those bullets were in the closet,thank God they didn t go off!!!!" What can i give you for this stuff? Just get rid of it !!!!!
Thanks,i ll take all you find.Mabey one day it will be a Parker in its case,or a pre 64 Winchester super grade,i can dream.
Anyone else get any goodies from freaked out friends and relations?

I got a "Parker Brothers" from a widow...... a #2 frame 12 bore choked IC and LM built in 1901. I killed my only two turkey and a few pheasants with the side X side.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knew a man in north Louisiana that hunted for and collected Civil War relics. He would research and find lesser known battlefields, get permission, and then hunt for relics. He had quite a collection at his house, but had more of his collection stored in a storage facility. His homeowners ins. co. made him get the unexploded cannon balls out of the house.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A retired firefighter lived on the next street over from me. His son in law was my lieutenant. When he passed away they found live mortar rounds in his garage. Had the bomb squad here and the closer houses had to evacuate.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting thread here; reminds me of a buddy who got a beautiful old Parker 12 ga. SxS from a co-worker back about 1974. The guy had inherited it from a great-uncle and wanted nothing to do with it. He threw some ridiculous price at my buddy who graciously helped him out by taking that old thing off his hands for his asking price. Can't recall the price but even back in those days I remember being shocked and back then I didn't know much about gun prices. My buddy got good money for that shotgun about 6 months later when he sold it and said it was one of his best gun deals ever. We even took it out and busted some clay birds a couple times; which I was terrible at with my old 12 ga. pump because of almost no experience. That Parker was the first gun I ever consistently hit clay birds with and would have bought it but when I found what nice ones like that were going for I realized that at that time in my life it was outta my price range.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kinda lost touch with a buddy who was/is a gunsmith. Knows lots of folks and used to call me every couple months with stuff widows wanted rid off. Good but fair prices on realy nice guns. Much of my sporting collection was built this way.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was walking around a gun show when I saw a couple come in looking very uncomfortable.

The wife was holding an old shotgun in a way that showed she knew nothing about guns.

I greeted them and asked if there was anything I could help them with. They explained that they had inherited the shotgun and we're hoping to sell it.

I took a look at it and found it was a Parker Trojan in nice condition. Having an idea of what it was worth, I knew I couldn't afford it, so I suggested they show it to the guys at the tables and "shop" it around the room.

"How much do you think we will get?"

I explained that they would probably be offered about half of its retail value.

"Would you like to buy it for half?"

I immediately invited them to accompany me to my bank. It turned out to be a lovely day!

Last edited by czech1022; 12/27/20.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by memtb

Lolol.....I have a dummy pineapple grenade and the unit that it connects to for firing as a rifle grenade. My daughter was asking me about it so I explained that pulling the pin with the handle being squeezed and throwing it was how you used it. I pulled the pin and simulated throwing it but it slipped (on purpose) and fell at our feet. She started crying and I felt bad....but damn it was funny.

Oh you bad man!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,496 guests, and 823 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.