Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought one of the last few remaining Nebraska Sandhlls unit firearms season tags the other day. I struck out in all of the draws and wanted to the chance to hunt deer out of state. I've done some research and know public land is pretty crowded on opening weekend and I'm okay with that. I plan on hunting the first 4 or 5 days of the season, and will take any legal mule deer buck or any whitetail buck that trips my trigger. I have OnX and am prepared to hike and hunt all day.
I was wondering if anyone here was going to hunt the Sandhills opening weekend. I'll be hunting solo and camping out of my SUV, but it would be nice to meet some 24hour guys and maybe share a beverage or two. Feel free to respond here or send me a PM if you would like.
Thanks!
Sam

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I bought one of the last few remaining Nebraska Sandhlls unit firearms season tags the other day. I struck out in all of the draws and wanted to the chance to hunt deer out of state. I've done some research and know public land is pretty crowded on opening weekend and I'm okay with that. I plan on hunting the first 4 or 5 days of the season, and will take any legal mule deer buck or any whitetail buck that trips my trigger. I have OnX and am prepared to hike and hunt all day.
I was wondering if anyone here was going to hunt the Sandhills opening weekend. I'll be hunting solo and camping out of my SUV, but it would be nice to meet some 24hour guys and maybe share a beverage or two. Feel free to respond here or send me a PM if you would like.
Thanks!
Sam

Nope, but I've always wanted to - good luck to ya'!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We had planned to make the trip out there this year but, as often happens life had other plans. I keep researching it though. And still want to. With the intent on camping and hunting right from camp

Our plan was to leave Pa around 4 ok the Friday morning before the season. We should make NE. By early Sat afternoon, and have camp set up late Sat, early Sunday. Our intent was to hunt until Thursday and head back.

My suspicion is that the majority of the crowds hunt on the weekends. And like here probably don't get too far from the roads

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m not going out to hunt but I was out there this past summer on a fishing trip. There we’re deer everywhere! I didn’t see a lot of mulies but plenty of whitetails.

Beautiful place, good luck.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I'd like to hunt there myself

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The Sandhills have a beauty if their own and what’s more, the hunt falls right on the rut. My experience is with the open country you are going to see bucks cruise. With additional pressure they may be moving even more.

Be prepared for the weather — we’ve hunted mid-November in mild weather to a blizzard with -20* the following days.

Bit it is big expansive country. My inclination would be to move from high spot to high spot, sitting for awhile and glassing at each stop.

While I’ve hunted the Sandhills often, I’ve not on public land. We found ranchers who for a reasonable trespass fee would grant you access but those days are now largely gone. Trespass fees, if the rancher hasn’t already leased out hunting rights may run to 2k - 3k now.

I’ve heard the public areas can receive a lot of pressure. I don’t know if these are largely road and ATV warriors (this last may not be legal on public ground. I know it’s not in some areas) who basically cruise an area or if numbers actually penetrate in and away from the road.

Good hunting and I’d be interested on an after-hunt report.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There is very little public land in Nebraska, so if you don't have a good place to hunt lined up, you may not have a good place to hunt. There are some large blocks of public land in the Sandhills WMA, the McKelvie National Forest and the Valentine National Wildlife Refuge, plus some Open Fields walk-in land.

Ted Turner and the LDS Church are the biggest landowners in Nebraska, so if you find can find a way to get access to their properties you'd increase your opportunity for success exponentially.

If you haven't seen it, there is a public access atlas on-line at outdoornebraska.org.

H
hlg Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Been Ne.resident 44 yrs. and have tried Sandhills deer.You have a monumental challenge ahead of you.
Very limited area to hunt,lots of residents and herds of out of staters looking to fill their freezers.
Last I time hunted south of Valentine on one of the refuges.Saw one little yearling buck cowering in a brush patch and passed on him but very sure he did not last long.
I can't even find a place on private land to have a quality hunting experience and I know quite a few people.
The state of Ne. Deer hunting could be superb but management is sadly lacking.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys!
I've been looking hard at the public land atlas and Google earth. I know this isn't going to be a high odds low pressure hunt but it is a new adventure.
I'm definitely prepared to face high winds and cold temps on this hunt.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (7887mm08, ar33c9, 300_savage, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,388 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,208
Posts18,503,884
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.