Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ralphie
I’ve guided horse back hunts for 18 years. Given an oversized scabbard, which we actually have some for our hunters to use, the problem isn’t the rifle on the horse. It’s the hunter using the long range rig. It may be my number one red flag.

And I’d never let a hunter ride with his rifle slung. I’ve seen hunters fall off the most gentle dude horses around.

+1

I have seen some pain from some guys falling off wearing a 6 gun also....lots of screaming from some serious macho men.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I’ve never seen a scabbard that would accommodate a tall elevation turret including my own. Even with a low mounted Leupold and regular turrets it’s often a snug fit and it should be. Never ride with your rifle slung in your person.

I agree with mounting the scabbard so the stock is pointing rear wards. As mentioned here by KC, I think, I’ve had it mounted in reverse and had a branch get wedged between the stock and the horse and unless you have a remarkably gentle and tolerant horse you might be in for a rodeo. I’ve been in a couple — it’s fraught with bad outcomes.

A side note, take the sling off of the rifle before placing it in the scabbard as I have also had a stick pull my rifle out by catching a loop. As we were in a foot of fresh powder snow, I never heard it and by the time I discovered it we were another mile down the trailL. I found it by shuffling along as it was underneath the powder. If you’re going to walk anywhere you’ll have time to sling up.

My view anyway. 🙂

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The trailmax long range scabbard will accommodate a lot of modern and custom rifles, especially with scopes that dial. Hung on the off side, nearly vertical, muzzle slightly aft, off of the pommel will keep the rifle readily accessible, out of the way, not under your leg and keep the butt protected from tree trunks and most brush. I have noted excessive wear on the muzzle end of the scabbard from brush etc, but it works well in my limited experience

Last edited by FLGator; 10/10/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We just had a hunter in camp with a gunwerks behemoth, giant nightforce, AND a can. It fit in our trail max scabbard but barely. It would not zipper close but the quick snap buckle would close and kept the rifle fine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm an infrequent poster here, but a lot of my posts have involved horses in the backcountry, simply because that is what I know. Both my wife's and my families have been in ranching in the west in three states for well over 100 years. Both my wife's and my grandpas supplied horses to the US Government for forest and land management, survey and various other tasks. In addition I've hunted off horseback all over the west of the US and Canada, in Patagonia, in the Urals and the highlands of Scotland for near 50 years...and, until I discovered these hunting boards on the internet had NEVER seen a scabbard low on the offside butt aft.

Read this:

Originally Posted by FLGator
The trailmax long range scabbard will accommodate a lot of modern and custom rifles, especially with scopes that dial. Hung on the off side, nearly vertical, muzzle slightly aft, off of the pommel will keep the rifle readily accessible, out of the way, not under your leg and keep the butt protected from tree trunks and most brush. I have noted excessive wear on the muzzle end of the scabbard from brush etc, but it works well in my limited experience

Then go to the Outfitter's Supply website linked a couple of times above and read this:
(FWIW Russ is a super good guy!)

Attaching a Rifle Scabbard, Bow Scabbard or Camp Tool Scabbard to your Saddle

The jist of this attachment is that you KEEP CONTROL OF THE HORSE, holding the reins in your left hand after you shuck the rifle and dismount.

I, personally, use the near exact hang slightly less aft canted, but on the ON side, balancing the load with a horn (pommel) bag to the off with all my possibles and water/lunch etc for when I'm in the saddle. Just a personal preference because I'd rather draw the rifle after I'm on terra firma...again, swing off the horse, maintain control with reins in left hand and reach up and shuck rifle with right.

With the offside, near horizontal hang some of y'all use, how do you control the horse as you go to the kicking, bucking end on a tight trail, near vertical with a skittish mount to draw the rifle?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 66 invisible), 3,061 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.