Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
pal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With all the negative stories occupying our news and thoughts these days I hope the following story helps.

At 76 I am still actively engaged with my work as a boat builder. And so my watch has taken a heck of a beating. Noticing that the crystal had chipped near the seal, I was afraid it would no longer be water-tight and that the internals could then be ruined unless I had the crystal replaced. My local jeweler, who has done virtually all my watch repairs, over many decades, advised me to send it in to Seiko. But they needed 6-8 weeks turnaround. So I went on eBay to find something cheap to wear while my "good" watch was being repaired.

Looking through the used Seiko watches I came across a cheaper model that looked pretty good in the photos and placed it into my "watched items" while I continued to search. After a short while I noticed there was an email in my queue and discovered that the seller had offered to mark it down from $25 to $20 (delivered!). Figuring I would not find a better deal, I used "Buy it now" and immediately payed through PayPal. Shortly I received another email from the seller stating that he would ship it the next day and that I would be very pleased, as he had paid $45 for it and had just installed a new battery.

So I immediately replied that it was going to a good home, as I was a Vietnam vet. Very shortly after that I received another response from him that blew me away. He wrote, saying (paraphrased and shortened): "Sir, I owe you everything. My friend from WWII has passed away. My friend from the Vietnam war has passed away. Your money belongs in your pocket. I want to send you this watch free of charge... (more)" Immediately I began to write a reply, saying "No, no, our deal was much more than fair..." Before I could send it a message appeared that my PayPal had been refunded. So I wrote that I would accept his gift in good grace. That every time I looked at my new watch I would be reminded of his kindness...

A few days later I received not only this watch, which was in such beautiful condition--not a mark showing on the crystal or housing--but in addition, a second watch, a Casio in likewise perfect condition! I wrote to him again of my astonishment and gratitude and told him I hoped he wouldn't mind if I paid it forward by presenting the second watch to my helper, whose own watch had just been destroyed a couple days previous. The seller was delighted.

Anyway, the seller and I have had numerous communications since that, And I just wanted to share with my Campfire friends an event that has touched me deeply and that I will never forget.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Refreshing! Thanks for posting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great post. Seems good news like that is scarce these days.
Thank you for your service sir!

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Two good guys. Thanks for posting.

NRA Patron
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Damn, I’m getting soft as I get older
Thanks for the story, and for your service

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Thats a great story!

lightman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Great story. Hanging around here can get pretty negative, good for you on the acquisition.

LOL
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
At 76, you’re 2 years older than my brother would have been. We lost him in Vietnam, December 1969. May God bless you and all the others, those still living and those that never came home.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Good things come to good people. Both of you guys are fine people. Welcome home, thank you for your sacrifices.

pal Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for your comments fellas. There are still kind and generous people in this world.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
great story. thanks for sharing...

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,442
Posts18,489,508
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.