Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I am not a night hiker, but sometimes come out of the mountains at night on foot. I'm tired of trying to see my way with the cheap 2032 powered hat clip on lights. I have good flashlights, but many times need both hands. Budget is $100 or less. Any recommendations on a good one? Thanks. RJ

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I tried a few different top-shelf headlights, including the Petzl which was disappointing. Settled on the Fenix HL60R and it has worked out very well over the last 2 years. I need to figure out how to get a green lens on it for hog hunting.

I will say I bought a few cheap Black Diamond headlamps for the trucks, and they work just fine also.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have run a few over the years. There was something about the Petzls that always bugged me. My most recent was a Black Diamond...350 I think. Picked it up for $50 or thereabouts. It has worked very well for the last two years...and then my wife's one year old lab decided it looked like a good chew toy. Came home from work and all that was left was the headband.

Found a Surefire Minimus new in the package on Ebay for $75. Shows up tomorrow. Going to see how that one works out for a bit. It uses CR123 batteries which is the same as the flashlight I keep in my pack, so I will be able to consolidate the spare batteries that I keep on hand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I went looking for a headlamp, Cabela's had a Petzl Tactikka+RGB that I liked. I had probably watched too many CSI shows where they said that blue light was the best for showing up blood at night. But now with my using better, softer bullets and bang flop results, I've yet to use that blue light option, but this headlamp has the red and green light as well. There is a strobe feature that I haven't found a practical use for. I do like the three white light intensities that get used mostly around the house. I've been seen and blown at by the deer when I use white light, so I prefer using the green and it doesn't mess up my night vision like white light. While this Petzl is always in my pack, what I use mostly is a green 4 LED 3 AA hand held flashlight with a silent on off switch that I can hold lower to the ground.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Black Diamond, but I am not sure if they have any really good ones within your budget.

Personally I rarely use a headlight for hiking, unless it is absolutely pitch black out or in timber thick enough to block any moon or star light. I don't like my night vision being taken away.
I also don't like people seeing where I come off (or go into) the mountain. If you're on private than I guess this is a moot point.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I use headlamps regularly and the one that stands out is the Princeton Tec Apex, they make it in several models one within your price range.
Ultra reliable and rugged

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just use the Energizer ones in the blister pack from Wal Mart. Work well enough, plenty bright with new batteries. I always end up misplacing the damn things, so not gonna spend 50 bucks on one. I dont really lose them, just cant find them when I need them and find them later, so I have a good pile of the Energizer ones laying around. I always take 3 or 4, depending on how long the trip is.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Surefire 123A powered one for work because I was tried of them dying from hard usage, not batteries. That said I do have a handful of cheap AA/AAA powered ones I keep just because, but my next expensive one is going to be a Fenix usb rechargeable, as I hate buying batteries.

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To me, depends on the purpose. For general close range use, the Petzal Tikka and the like work fine. For navigating in the backcountry where I really want to see where I'm going, I use a Black Diamond Icon. I have a bunch in between to use as back-ups. I used a Petzal Tikka for several years and it worked but I found it didn't throw enough light for me when I was trying to find a trail, blood, or keep from walking off a cliff.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I thank you gentlemen very much for your comments/recommendations. I checked out (on the net) the ones that you all mentioned. I am giving serious consideration to the Fenix HM61R. My better flashlights use the 18650 battery so that would be a plus. Where I live, in Romania, there's not much in headlamps that you can check out in the stores so I will just have to make up my mind and order it. RJ

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Walmart has headlamps for a $1 that cannot be beat for the price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out Zebralight. 18650 batteries and built for the long haul.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 8 head lamps. The best to date, for me, is the Foxelli USB rechargeable. I always have the means to recharge USB devices and my lamp works. My only complaint is it is a tad too bright for walking into a stand even on the low setting but for $13 it's a steal.

https://www.amazon.com/Foxelli-USB-...&hvtargid=pla-330197367340&psc=1

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have run the Fenix HP12 for years and years and it is one of those pieces of equipment that makes me happy every time I use it.

When I bought the Fenix, I also got a pair of good Japanese Panasonic rechargeable batteries just for it, and a charger for them. Game changer. These batteries work excellently, and I've never bought a battery for the Fenix. I'm in the process of converting all my battery-operated gear to rechargeable (if possible).

I have taken this light and a spare battery for many miles in the black, and it has served well. If I had to replace it today, I'd get an other Fenix just because this one is a champ.

The light is very bright, with variable settings. However, the market selects for high lumen output, and this is the prominent advertising feature. I think that's a poor metric for headlamps, as the bright setting on the Fenix is plenty bright. I have other lights for spotlighting. And none of them last as long as the Fenix ... 5 stars from this hunter.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Fenix HM61R for work use and really like it. Compact, bright, easy to find 18650 stuff and the magnetic USB charger works great. Ive got a couple of their handheld lights for personal use and they have held up extremely well after numerous years of being throw in a pack and traveling all over the place.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have used a few Petzl models over the years and they do last and they are light . Last model that I have bought was a Petzl Tikka , that works great , but they do not have a lot of throw.
I have also a couple Armytek headlamps and falshlights. I have a aa model and a cr123a model. If you get the rechargeable batteries the cr123a model is small , not to heavy , has a magnetic tail cap, and it’s a lot more powerful then the Petzl.

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Done deal. I ordered the Fenix HM61R. It should handle my lighting needs. RJ

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by RUM7
Check out Zebralight. 18650 batteries and built for the long haul.

+1

R
rj308 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I did check out the Zebralight, but the Fenix HM61R spec'ed out better for my use and the Fenix uses the 18650 battery and it is definitely built for the long haul. RJ

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have had good luck with my two black diamonds. I want to say I bought mine for approx $50 each. I like that I can use usb to recharge.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (219 Wasp, 160user, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 65 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,836
Posts18,496,765
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.