Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I live on a 80 and it aint enough.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Never would have thought it possible, but I hear tell one can get lost on 5 acres.... laugh

Seems one would have to work at that....

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have 40. Wish it was 4,000.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 11 +/- according to the deed. State highway and cow pasture in front, farmland and grass on the other three. Closest neighbor about 1/3 of a mile away, which we have some issues with. I wish we were further off the highway but it's more frequented by farmers and ranchers than anything else most of the year.

Most important things when considering land is water/access to water, septic, property access/easements and access to the grid. Once you figure these things out it's any easy decision if it's the right property. Then you have to figure out how to maintain the property once you find the right one.

Best advice is take a weeks vacation and go to MO and look at the properties you're interested in for a few days. Also talk with any potential neighbors if you can. You might move to MO and rent for a year while you look for land as well.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Our land progress over the past 40 years started at 3 acres, then 40 (with a 1000 acre Trappist Abbey forest on a couple of sides) and currently 300 acres with the real BLM on two sides and no near neighbors. We would buy more if we could.
When looking for land (and we looked for 5 years for our current place) we focused on a secluded build-able location, water, easements and neighbors. In retrospect, we wished we had purchased the 80 acres to our south (about 1,3 miles from our house), but we were too conservative.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grew up in Polk co. 🤷🏻‍♂️ My stepmom still has the 320 acre farm my dad built. We sold the last 100 acres of my grandpas farm 3-4 years ago, no house, got about $2500 per acre.

10 acre lots are generally referred to as gentlemen farmers, somebody just playin at farming 🤷🏻‍♂️

10 acres seems small to me, the house my mom built in the country is on 5 acres. House is on the back of the lot still easily seen from the road & road noise easily heard.

You say you like the house, and that’s good I suppose. But I personally would choose a larger parcel w a house I wasn’t crazy about or no house at all. You could put in a septic & move a nice used 5th wheel trailer on it, live in it while you built a house or had one built. Eddie Lollar builds good houses. When finished sell the trailer. 40 acres would be minimum if I wanted seclusion. 20 acres if I just wanted to stretch out a bit.

Will say this, while in the midst of the Bible Belt, Bolivar & Polk co. have wonderful folks living there. I loved growing up there & miss my mom, but Alaska sunk her claws deep within me. Just my .02 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Shooting range? Growing up we had it, missed (no pun) it ever since.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgot to mention Hubbert realty. Steve & Paula are honest, hard working folks that may be able to find you parcels at less cost per acre vs national re sites 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also, if you’re just looking for seclusion no gentleman farming, rocky places are cheaper than good farmland w pasture

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Bullshit....you are so domesticated it ain't even funny.

I bet you apologize when you take a piss on the sod.

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Not looking to farm, nor have any large animals. A range would,be nice, but perhaps not practical with only 10 acres. It has a shed/barn and attached shop, a plus. Close to fishing lakes as well. Checks most all boxes but perhaps the ability to hunt and shoot on the property. I would consider building, and we have a nice Jayco 5th wheel. Do not know the cost of building however. About $500K to spend. Yes true farm land in MO and elsewhere is expensive.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Bullshit....you are so domesticated it ain't even funny.

I bet you apologize when you take a piss on the sod.

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

Haha!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Land is $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Location, location and location.

Depends on where it is.

DF

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
maintenance is the big questions. My parents retired on 5 acres. it's not enough separation from the trashy neighbors who moved in after them. But the maintenance of mowing, picking up limbs, weedeating, spraying the driveaway is too much after 10 years. they are looking to downsize before it kills them. its a 5 day a week job almost to keep up. hard when its 85 and humid by 9am in the summer and stays over 95 till 9PM.

5 -10 acres of woods with a 1 acre home plot no fence lines is not the same as keeping up 5 acres up to look pretty. then consider more maintenance for the exterior with bugs and birds nest being built on everything.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Land is $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.

Im thinking demand will flatten off

#flattenthecurve

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d bend on the location to get closer to 15-20 acres.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That or reallocate your individual budgets of land vs improvements. All a man needs is a shop with plumbing/electricity so you can finish out some living space

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Land WAS $2M/ acre in Seattle suburbs.

I'm thinking demand will flatten off

#flattenthecurve

Fixed it...

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, life is a compromise. FIL just gave a report on the property, passed with flying colors. Then got a call from the realtor. Offer over the asking. Not going to get in a bidding war. So the search continues for a bigger piece of land.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by joken2

How property lines run can make a big difference in how it can be used and how close potential neighbors could build, too. IE - wide and shallow / narrow and deep? Square? Rectangle? Zigzag angles?

Very true. We first picked up 10 acres with our house - 1/4 mile deep by 330 wide...depending on how it lays you can have a decent range with 1/4 mile. Later picked up 10 acres adjoining, later 18 acres adjoining, later 75 acres adjoining....so what you start with may not be what you finish with.

That would be 30 acres.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,940
Posts18,498,902
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.