Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Newcomer to the muzzleloader scene. I have a Renegade .50 from the mid-1980's that was a retirement gift to my father from his co-workers. I've shot it sparingly over the years since he died, but his year I decided to get serous about using it during the early muzzleloader season. Got a late start at working up a load for a PRB, but all told I fired about 20 rounds or so in two different sessions and felt like I had it about dialed in for the range I anticipated using it. Decided to have another session since I was enjoying shooting it so much. Wouldn't you know, I get a misfire. Touched off 3 caps: no go. So I decided to try the ball puller and somehow managed to break it off in the ball. Any suggestions as to how to proceed from here?

In case it's pertinent to any suggestions you guys might have, I was using 70 g of Triple 7 (can't recall if 2f or 3f) behind a .490 ball and a .10 patch. Long story as to how I arrived at 777, but that's what I was using. It had been stored for several years, so I was pleasantly surprised that it still was firing fine, until that last shot. I did do the whole soaking the breech in hot water thing prior to attempting to pull the charge.

I think the ideal thing would be to remove the breech plug, but I am aware of what an undertaking that is. I have the tools to attempt it, but don't want to unless there's no other way.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by There_Ya_Go; 10/12/20.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
.10 patch is awfully thin, especially with a hot burning powder like T7. Get new powder, better yet, get real black powder.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I appreciate the suggestion, and it sound like a good one, but in the meantime....?

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Can you get one of the CO2 powered ball discharger gizmos that fit over the nipple and "shoot" it out with CO2.? Or take off the nipple, clean the flash hole good, and put some fresh powder in the breech?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Doubt the fresh powder approach since I followed T/C's instruction to soak the powder charge that's in there with water. Wish I hadn't done that. The CO2 thingy is a possibility, I'll have to order one.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are going to have rust problem that may ruin the breech.

What broke off, a screw jag in the ball? Getting the breech plug off will not be an easy task. Talk to a local gunsmith and explain what happened if you can't get the Silent Discharge to work.

Unscrew the nipple and clean what you can including the nipple hole. Try putting a pinch of powder in the port and shoot that. Maybe the pressure will get things moving.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd try to get the ball out before removing the breechplug. You'll probably need to take it to a gunsmith to do that and it may get marred up in the process.

The fresh powder in the flash hole smokepole suggested is worth a try before you spend money on a CO2 device. It may be enough to push the ball out without a charge. I'd measure the depth of the ball with the ramrod before you try it then if it doesn't come out you'll know if it moved. Maybe it will take a couple attempts.

I'd spend $7 or $8 and get a musket cap nipple for your rifle also. Musket caps are much hotter than No 11 caps and this one thing may eliminate any further misfires. I used musket caps and Triple 7 powder in my T/C Firehawk for the last 15 years and never had a misfire. Good Luck with the stuck ball!

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Rubber tipped blow gun for your
air hose will push the ball out
without having to discharge it

Blow it out. Clean up the gun
and chalk it up to experience.
If you mess with ML's long enough,
it'll happen

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
+ 1 on the musket cap nipple IF it'll fit.
Test fire before you take it afield.
I have a rifle I bought cheap, and I
put a M cap nipple on it as I normally
do on all the rifles I've had.
I hunted with it a couple of days and
decided to discharge the load and
put a fresh one down. I got a bad
surprise when the hammer wouldn't
line up to pop off the cap with that
musket nipple in place

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for all the replies, you've given me some options to look into. Appreciate it!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
musket nipple in place

I had that problem, but it was because I used a generic nipple that was too long to line up with a TC hammer. Ones sold specifically for TCs worked perfectly.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
musket nipple in place

I had that problem, but it was because I used a generic nipple that was too long to line up with a TC hammer. Ones sold specifically for TCs worked perfectly.

I'm sure that was the problem, I was more
unhappy with myself for not checking a simple
thing like that when I know better.
It's the only time I've had that problem.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To the OP-
Are you close to D/FW?
If so, bring it by and we'll
get it cleared in a few minutes

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There are plenty of T/C musket cap nipples on eBay & Gunbroker. Shop around for best price.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
What broke off, a screw jag in the ball?

Yes. Haven't had time to deal with this anymore yet, but appreciate the suggestions.

To the OP-
Are you close to D/FW?
If so, bring it by and we'll
get it cleared in a few minutes

No, I am in eastern NC.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (1eyedmule, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 27 invisible), 2,178 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,079
Posts18,501,599
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.