Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15308422 10/13/20
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D

I’ve deprimed some brass that contained unused/live primers. Any issues with re using those primers?

NRA Patron
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dale06

I’ve deprimed some brass that contained unused/live primers. Any issues with re using those primers?

Not at all, they will go bang

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I would never do it. The anvil could be damaged when the primes is pushed out and the cups are made to be sized down when they go into the primer pocket. Is it worth it if you get a bullet 12" down a 24" barrel??

Jim Gibson
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Done it manyyyyyy times and never got a bullet stuck 12" down my 24" barrel

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've done it, too. Nowadays use a simple decapping die and, of course, slow and easy. Eyewear, always. Don't recall ever having one subsequently misfire, rounds destined for range practice only.

More often disassembling shotshells having a poor crimp. To be fair, 209s are better protected.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Safety goggles are the only real issue. I've fragged primers and they sting, but never fragged them decapping and re-seating. And on shooting, they worked just fine as well. So if you're careful, and make sure there's an anvil, you should be just fine.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FatAlbert
I would never do it. The anvil could be damaged when the primes is pushed out and the cups are made to be sized down when they go into the primer pocket. Is it worth it if you get a bullet 12" down a 24" barrel??

Not sure how that would happen. Either the primer does not ignite the powder and nothing happens, or it does ignite the powder and the bullet is off at 3400 FPS.
Or am I missing something?

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've reused them many times, safety glasses and gentle push to remove. Wouldn't use them for any serious business, but do for practice rounds. Don't think I've ever had a misfire or hangfire.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
I've reused them many times, safety glasses and gentle push to remove. Wouldn't use them for any serious business, but do for practice rounds. Don't think I've ever had a misfire or hangfire.

Same here. Never had one pop in the press, and I use the reclaimed primers for plinking loads.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
dale06 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well, I loaded them, and went to the range. They worked fine. They were Rem 7.5s. I hate to waste primers these days.

NRA Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So the little brass "spider" is strong enough t to protect the pellet from the decapping pin?
Never mind I was thinking of the anvil backwards/upsidedown.
Just looked at one that had fallen out and they are surprisingly robust.
Though I guess the friction between anvil and cup is greater than between cup and pocket?

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 10/20/20.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm another one who has gently pushed out a lot of live primers and never had one not work. (That said, I only use them for non-critical stuff, such as shooting prairie dogs or paper/gong practice, not big game hunting.)

One of the previous times this subject came up, fairly recently, more than one member commented that primers were too cheap and abundant to use decapped primers. Apparently none of them remembered previous shortages, where primers weren't so cheap and abundant.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I'm another one who has gently pushed out a lot of live primers and never had one not work. (That said, I only use them for non-critical stuff, such as shooting prairie dogs or paper/gong practice, not big game hunting.)

One of the previous times this subject came up, fairly recently, more than one member commented that primers were too cheap and abundant to use decapped primers. Apparently none of them remembered previous shortages, where primers weren't so cheap and abundant.

John,
I just read a reposted excerpt from on of your articles where you referenced the cup thickness' of Remington small pistol vs. Small pistol magnums (1-1/2 vs. 5-1/2). Out of curiosity did you wind up with the cup thickness' for small rifle as well? [Also because when I checked the SAAMI website I only saw standard for large, rifle, large pistol and either small pistol or small rifle, (definitely not both.)]

-OMotS

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+ 1 on wasting primers these days. On of my mentors of many years ago taught me to mark them "pulled, use for non critical applications" He was a retired Navy Chief.
That being said I can't remember having any problems with them.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Oso250
+ 1 on wasting primers these days. On of my mentors of many years ago taught me to mark them "pulled, use for non critical applications" He was a retired Navy Chief.
That being said I can't remember having any problems with them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

John,
I just read a reposted excerpt from on of your articles where you referenced the cup thickness' of Remington small pistol vs. Small pistol magnums (1-1/2 vs. 5-1/2). Out of curiosity did you wind up with the cup thickness' for small rifle as well? [Also because when I checked the SAAMI website I only saw standard for large, rifle, large pistol and either small pistol or small rifle, (definitely not both.)]

Edit:
It was a snipers post "Based on" your 2009 "Guns" article. Different from an Excerpt.
I did see some posts elsewhere showing the results of people measuring cup thickness.
Looks like 0.002-0.005ish" as the difference between SP and SR.
Guess there was an NRA book that identified the cup thickness.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 10/22/20.

-OMotS

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

John,

Edit:
It was a snipers post "Based on" your 2009 "Guns" article. Different from an Excerpt.
I did see some posts elsewhere showing the results of people measuring cup thickness.
Looks like 0.002-0.005ish" as the difference between SP and SR.
Guess there was an NRA book that identified the cup thickness.

Cup thickness is one variable.

I have yet to see a test of primer material hardness.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I haven't either.

Also have seen relatively few tests of primer "hotness," and most of those found are meaningless photos of flame length.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have reused thousands of primes.

I once bought 1000 rounds of rejected AMERC .223 loaded ammunition, all with split necks. I recovered the bullets, powder and primers. All of the primers later went bang.

Later I cut off the split necks, annealed, and formed the cases into 300 Blackout. None of the necks split on the 300 BO cases post-anneal.

The best compilation of primer information I have found is on CMP forum. Of course it was probably lifted from somewhere else?

Primer FAQ

Michael

Last edited by mag410; 10/23/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would never have done it in years past, but after reading JB’s opinion some time back, I started saving them in little baggies for non-critical use, or hard times., whichever comes first. That also eliminates the messy (and likely ineffective) job of killing them before disposal.

Might be interesting to see if loads with the used ones clock and shoot the same as loads with new ones, or even better, to read about someone else testing that!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (264mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 32 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,345
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.