Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
This past Saturday (October 10th) I had occasion to harvest a dandy Buck Antelope here in SW Montana. As near as I can figure it was my 60th Buck Antelope brought to bag!
I started Hunting Antelope in 1969 in Montana and shortly spread out to Hunting Antelope in BOTH Montana and Wyoming for many years thereafter.
I absolutely LOVE to Hunt Antelope. I think part of the reason I love it so much is to get out on the open prairie which is so different than hilly overgrown brushy can't see 100 yards country where I grew up and learned to Hunt there on the west slopes of the Cascades.
Anyway this Antelope harvest was notable to me in that it was a one shot kill at the second furthest distance I have ever taken an Antelope (460 Leica lasered yards) and that I used a Rifle I bought some years ago from my life long friend Jack from Yelm, Washington.
Jack passed away this past August (2,020) and that has left a large hole in my life. I will greatly miss Big game Hunting, Varmint Hunting and fishing in Georgetown Lake with him!
Anyway I had planned to Hunt Antelope with a different Rifle this season but after Jacks passing I dug out his old Rifle (Ruger 77 MK-II V/T with 26" barrel in caliber 25/06 with Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope) - I had on hand a batch of handloaded ammunition and last week I re-sighted it in to be 3"high at 100 yards. This due to the fact I would be Hunting very open country and was anticipating the possibility of a long shot.
That turned out to be the case and the Nosler 100 grain Ballistic Tip brought down that Buck Antelope with one shot and the Buck only dashed a hundred yards before succumbing completely - no more movement.
I have never recovered a bullet "of mine" from an Antelope in all the shooting I have done! I always try to place my bullets on broadside, non-running heart/lung shots and as close a range as possible. And up til this harvest I have never recovered one of my projectiles. So I was very surprised when the VarmintWife and I were cleaning hair off of the hanging carcass and I felt a "lump" at the rear of the Bucks shoulder.
I dug out the remains of the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet which had completely separated from its core. The "mushroomed" copper weighed 46 grains when I later weighed it.
I was somewhat shocked at finding the bullet remains - only thing I can figger is that the bullets hit ribs on both sides of the carcass and the copper "jacket" got re-directed forward somehow to the start of the shoulder blade?
Anyway all the energy from that long shot got absorbed by the animal and his demise was complete in under 5 seconds.
This is the second Buck Antelope I have taken with this bullet/Rifle combo and both were one shot kills.
Lots of Hunters around here use the 25/06 Remington for Deer and Antelope and I can find no fault with that.
Long live the 25/06 Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice story VG.. Congratulations... My step daughter is using my old .25-06 this fall.. The other one is using my old .270.. No game yet but we see dozens of bucks each day, just not what they want.. That will change as the trip draws to a c;ose.. Great story!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Very cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting and a fitting tribute to your pard! I would love to see a picture.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice story and sounds like a good hunt, congrats.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats. Nice shooting

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congratulations.The thing I enjoy about antelope hunting is stalking them. I need t get back out there and hunt them again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have only killed two pronghorn. 130 yards and 280 yards. Both shot with 100 grain ballistic tips from a 25-06 Classic style 700. Good exits, neither buck moved more than 20 yards after the shot. I sight in 3 inches high as well.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Congrats. I love a 25-06

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WyoCoyoteHunter: Keep after them!
On my last several Antelope Hunts I have used my "old reliable" Remington 700 Sendero in 270 Winchester (with Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope) to harvest my quarry.
I am sure glad I got my Antelope in the bag because the wind has turned bizarre up this way - high winds to 49 M.P.H. over the last two days and more today (and tomorrow IIRC).
I hope the winds are calmer down in your neck'o the woods (area of the high plains).
Best of luck to you and your brood.
I meant to relay in my original post that the munitions I have used in the past have always passed through the Antelope I have harvested.
I was so surprised to find that partial bullet in my creature.
I think I will look up the "velocity" of that bullet at 450 yards or so - just out of curiosity.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Prairie Dog Shooter: I would LOVE to find a Remington 700 Classic in 25/06 Remington!
My oldest VarmintSon has a Remington 700 BDL (with box magazine) in caliber 25/06 Remington. It has a Leupold 4.5x14 variable scope on it - he has taken Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with it so far.
Sadly his full time job with the U.S.G.S. out on the west coast over the last 10+ years has precluded him from venturing "back home" to Hunt with the VarmintDad.
I love the looks and performance of the Remington 700 Classics and own them in 17 Remington, 221 Remington Fireball, 222 Remington (2 of these), 223 Remington and 7m/m Remington Magnum.
All of them have accuracy WELL above average IMO, IME.
I have been looking for a "deal" on a Classic in 25/06 for a LONG time now.
Enjoy yours.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Sakoluvr: Sadly I had to leave my "new" whoop-de-doo cell phone back at the truck for my Hunt. I have not figgered out how to turn the dang thing off as yet! My recently upgraded "flip-phone" I had figured out so no pictures taken prior to cleaning and then when I got back to the harvest site I decided no need for pictures just get the ice bags into the chest cavity and head for the skinning spot back home - it was hot here on opening day.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Hanco & All: Thanks for the kudos and well wishes.
I was supposed to be Hunting with another friend from Washington State (taxington!) who is a 100% disabled Viet Nam War veteran. Sadly the results of his war wounds (he has three purple hearts from that "confilict"!) have set upon him in the last couple of weeks and he has had to put off his arrival here for a Hunt to later this season.
I sure hope he can make it out for a Hunt/visit soon.
Seems to me like lots of Antelope nowadays. I have lived here in SW Montana for 23 years now and the Antelope populations here abouts are very strong now compared to when I first got here.
Having said that the populations herabouts are small compared to those in all of eastern Montana and Wyoming.
Long live Antelope Hunting - and I hope every one can get after them or get after them again in the future.
Already planning for next years Hunt.
I am headed for town today to buy a $100.00 restaurant gift certificate for my rancher friend and his family - as a show of my appreciation for their generosity to me.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a 25-06 on a Yugo Mauser action that has been sitting in my closet, not quite finished, for the last 15 years. I am also smitten with antelope hunting, and I wanted that rifle to be my ultimate antelope rig. Life had other plans. First I was off on a deployment somewhere or other, then I got a wife with three cats, then a real job, then kid number one, and a puppy, and finally kid number two. After that it always just seemed easier to grab the 30-06 rather than finish the 25-06. But as I read this, I’m sitting in a motel in Broadus, Montana with both boys on my eldest’s first antelope hunt. He is going to use a .243 tomorrow but I think I will need to finish that 25-06 before the younger boy starts hunting antelope. Maybe I’ll get after that this winter.

Glad to hear there are more antelope over your way. I used to hunt them south of Alder, Montana back in the early nineties. I’ve seen hundreds of them at a time and they used to sell excess doe fawn tags at the Coast to Coast in Dillon, way back in the day. My brother and I sure had fun chasing them back then. Still my favorite big game animal to hunt.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Great story! My family hunted antelope last year in Wy and 4out of 6 used a 25/06 and ballistic tips! I don’t think there is a better combo for antelope! You’re right there is just something about hunting antelope.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've been hunting Antelope for the past 25-30 years with my 25-06. Once in a while I have let my 280 Rem. play, but the majority has been the 25-06. My wife and I have taken around 125 Pronghorns in this time. We usually draw 4-6 tags per year on a private lease in WY, and hunt CO also when we draw tags.

My wife and I both use our Ruger Express 25-06s (yes, they made a very few in this caliber) and I also use my Dakota Classic Deluxe in 25-06. She only uses her Ruger Express 25-06. We both use Win. 115 gr. Ballistic Silvertips. We too have never recovered any bullets. This round does massive damage to the internal organs, and usually leaves a large exit hole. Once in a while, the entrance hole was larger than the exit hole.

Last year, I shot my best Antelope here in Colorado with the aforementioned Dakota rifle and 115 gr. round. He was exactly 16" on both horns, officially measured by my taxidermist, after a drying process.

We love the meat, we love hunting them, and we both love the 25-06 for this purpose! PERFECT round for this 80-120 lb. animal. We also use this round for Deer hunting with no problems. I have never used it on Elk, but I have two female friends who use it successfully on Elk. One weighs 90 lbs. and the other 100 lbs., and this is about all of the recoil they are comfortable with. Works for them. Wife and I prefer and use 338 & 358 calibers for our Elk hunting. Works for us.

LOVE the 25-06!

Congrats on your success!!

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
BCinKS: I am so happy I decided to post/bring this subject up! I have been debating for a few years now if i should "move up" in weight from the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips to the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. If you or any of your family have used the heavier Ballistic Tips please advise. Yeah I was lonely this Antelope Hunt - no VarmintFamily along and my friend having to "back out" at the last minute.
The "draw" for me to Hunt Antelope has been strong and enduring for 51+ years now - I share that with you and your family.
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Surefire7: Wow on your record of harvests! Good for you. My family also enjoys properly cared for Antelope meat and summer sausage etc.
In fact two of my four VarmintChildren have already put in orders for this Antelopes trimmings to be made into summer sausage and pepper sticks.
I should look into getting an extra tag next year as the 'demand" for game meat keeps getting stronger each year from the VarmintChildren.
And the VarmintWife is a bit testy in that I have not gotten and Elk in some time now!
She loves Elk liver and Elk steaks. My excuse is I have been unable to hike into our high country Elk camp for the last three years do to a failing knee and then an artificial knee being implanted. Maybe this year I'll get some fresh Elk meat for the clan?
That indeed is a TROPHY Antelope you got there in Colorado.
Congratulations on that accomplishment. In this day and age that is a milestone.
My Buck this year was right at 13 1/2" - My best over the years was 15 3/4" (taken in the Powder River country of eastern Montana 1970'ish).
Enjoy your future Hunts with those classy 25/06's!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a mint classic model 70 sporter in a 25-06 very limited run Winchester did.. I need to take my buddy up on a deer hunt in Idaho and drag the 25/06 along.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (308xray, 338reddog, 300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 29 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,261
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.