Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The “mild sociopaths” Mule Deer has written about like to make cracks about how those who prefer light rifles should take some weight off their fat azzes instead of worrying about a pound or two on their rifles. Well, I carry a rifle in my hands, or slung on my shoulder, and a lighter one means I can go farther and react more quickly. While still-hunting, a rifle belongs in your hands, not slung, and a light one makes it easy to hold in one hand while you glass, or part brush on the trail. On the trek back to where I usually hunt, a heavy gun gets shifted back and forth several times, but one of my light ones stays put, slung muzzle down on my left with my hand holding the forend, or carried in the crook of my arm with my thumb over the bolt knob. Even while sitting in a treestand or on a log, stump, or stool, a heavy rifle gets uncomfortable resting across my legs, with or without my hand underneath it. A small thing maybe, but over time it all adds to my fatigue level, which affects my concentration and how long I can sit still.

Plenty of fit guys carry light rifles. With that said many that agonize over rifle weight would indeed be better served by losing weight off their gut.

GB1

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Well my fat &$$ certainly needs to “drop 50” to get back to 6’3” and 197 lb.

I went thru my rifles, matching them to game, and I invented a gap - I “need” a dedicated LR antelope/coyote rifle and a 26” Super Grade is just the ticket!!! 8.5 lb + 23 oz SS 10X + 8 oz for rings, ammo, sling = 10.5 lb

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Shooting well consistently offhand is an important skill for a hunter. If you need a heavier rifle to do so it is worth the extra effort. If not, light is right.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Shooting well consistently offhand is an important skill for a hunter. If you need a heavier rifle to do so it is worth the extra effort. If not, light is right.

mike r

A little bit of weight in the right area sure. Makes field shooting easier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It still boils down to how far you are trying to shoot off-hand & how big the target is........................

MM

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
[img]https://hosting.photobucket.co...8E_8499_D48530F09DB7_IMG_5602.HEIC[/img]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I like mine a lot but man, it’s heavy. Over 9lbs with a 6x36 on top. Easy to shoot though.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dogger
Beautiful rifles... steel bottom metal... sporter barrel contour... the 26” rifles are 8.5 lb. !!!

Wow, in this day and age of ltwt rifles with synthetic carbon fiber stocks and 22” fluted barrels with threaded muzzles... who is buying such an old classic?

I am sorely tempted... but one would approach 10 lb scoped and loaded... who can lift such a beast??

Almost 10 lb... about that of the iron sight M1 Garand our fathers humped up the hills...

Put it into perspective:

If hunters would take a good shlt and clean their boots they'd lose 15 lbs.

Most hunters happily carry around an extra 30 to 200lbs of weight on their asses daily.

It's all good, buy the rifle and enjoy it, I have a couple SG's, also gladly hunt with a couple 16 pound Sharps bull barrel rifles, just packed a 14 pound 577 Nitro for an average of 11 miles a day in Tanzania. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn nice stick Big B.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I do like a lighter rifle when I am going up and down in elevation in rough country myself. I don’t really ever sling a rifle till I need both hands so that has some impact. I guess as long as it feels good in my paw and balances right I’m good with it.

The little P64 Featherweight in the Hunters Edge felt pretty light to me and that’s not even in the atmosphere as a lot of light rifles these days. But it settled down pretty quick and seems to hit where I point it.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Agreed, I wouldn't take a 16lb Sharps up a sheep mountain either, but, certainly wouldn't let 3lbs all up be a deciding factor on whether I'd buy and enjoy a certain rifle. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Agreed, I wouldn't take a 16lb Sharps up a sheep mountain either, but, certainly wouldn't let 3lbs all up be a deciding factor on whether I'd buy and enjoy a certain rifle. smile

Nope. Me either. McMillan makes stocks everyday that’ll lighten them up when you need to as well.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yessir^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by szihn

So not to kick any shins here, but I believe staying in good shape and working out is WAY more important then trying to cut 1-2 pounds off your rifle. If you start to work out 10 minutes EVERY day you will find by the 2021 seasons your rifles will loose a lot of weight.

Try it and see.

I can really appreciate truth examples.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree with what many have said regarding the balance / feel.
Personally, I really like the older stainless M70 Classics. I am still able to hump a 10# rifle for my hunting.
My theoretical mountain rifles are in the 7.5 to 8.5 pound range with scopes. These certainly are not lightweights by today's standard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beautiful rifles... steel bottom metal... sporter barrel contour... the 26” rifles are 8.5 lb. !!!

Wow, in this day and age of ltwt rifles with synthetic carbon fiber stocks and 22” fluted barrels with threaded muzzles... who is buying such an old classic?

I am sorely tempted... but one would approach 10 lb scoped and loaded... who can lift such a beast??

Almost 10 lb... about that of the iron sight M1 Garand our fathers humped up the hills...

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It still boils down to how far you are trying to shoot off-hand & how big the target is........................

MM
It's often not the size of the target and distance that matters so much as how small the opening in the trees//limbs/brush you have to put your bullet through..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Super Grade with 4.5-14 LRHS weighs 10lb 15oz and is my most used hunting rifle. The Shilen barrel chambered in 6.5 WSM is a little heavier than the factory contour. A Kifaru Gun Bearer is a great help in carrying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Guilty - To be fair it was built in 1952 (IIRC) - .300 H&H grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
A ten pound rifle just don't fit my likes these days.

I'm in this camp. I don't see any reason for a sporter that weighs as much as a heavy varmint rifle unless it generates a bunch of recoil. That 8.5 pound weight for a Win 70 sporter is the same weight as a Remington 700 Sendero. Model 70 actions are heavy. Walnut stocks are heavy. I want the weight where it does me some good .. a lot of it in the barrel.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My model 70 Super grade 7mm Mag has several problems so it spends lots of time in my safe, while I shoot

my 7mm Mag Vanguard S2. First the model 70 struggles to shoot 1.5" groups at a 100 yard. while the Vanguard

shoots under a inch all the time. Another thing is the Model 70 has a slow barrel or it is shot out. If I test a load in the Vanguard at 3050FPS

with 160gr Accubonds, it will be 2875FPS in the Model 70. It takes about 3 extra grains to equal the Vanguard. Now a couple years ago I tryed

5 different loads in both rifles on the same day. The good news was one load using MagPro the difference was only 80 FPS less in the Model 70

some of the others were well over 200 FPS difference. Guess I,ll get both of them out and work on that MagPro load some more. What I was worried

is I might get the bullets mixed up and put a load for the model 70 in the Vanguard. I,m sure I would have to pound the bolt open on the Vanguard.

Thats why I have only been loading for the Vanguard.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,495 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,792
Posts18,516,087
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.