Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I just procured one from a fellow NH 'Fire member.
My on!y 'problem' will be deciding which 35 to use on any given day.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
You done gone off the 35 deep end NH K9, lol.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Laffin'
If it makes you feel better, I have committed to the BLR for opening week.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
A 35 Remington is "good for" deer bear and even elk in close if you use correct bullets. It's good for the use of a rifle. It's good for killing deer where you live. And it's VERY good if you like the rifle.

I have a 35 Remington, in a Remington 141 pump and just 2 weeks ago I killed a deer with it at 181 yards with a peep sight. Bang-flop.
A bolt action 35 Remington should be quite accurate. So I see no down side to it. Sure, it's a close range round. So what?! I just proved it's 100% fine out to at least 181 yards.

When I was in my 20s I owned a Marlin 36 rifle in 35 Remington. I killed 7 deer in Nevada and Idaho with it, and my friend Greg killed a good sized bear with it too. All 1 shot kills.

Today we see nothing but praise for new guns and new cartridges and much of what we are told is statistically true, but it seems we forget
New and improved is often just new the FACT that some of the older shells have more good kills ranging over 100 year of success, and NOTHING new is going to make them any less effective than they ever were.

"New and improved" is often just new, but what worked for over 100 years will not stop working next 100 years. Improved is fine but improving how well a bullet flys has NOTHING to do with improving the skills of any hunter.

So if you have a Remington M7 in 35 Remington, GOOD FOR YOU!
Use it! Fill your freezer with venison and enjoy it.

Truth

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Better accuracy is bullshyt. Both of my current 336's are solid, consistent MOA shooters. Neither my 760 carbine nor my 7600 was as accurate. Removable magazine is debatable depending on personal preference. Higher pressures, maybe but that is of no consequence in a woods rifle. The .35 can safely be loaded to higher than book pressures in a 336 too. After all the 336 action is chambered in .444 Marlin at 44KPSI vs 33KPSI for the .35 Rem. Pointy bullets are not needed in a woods rifle either but if you feel you must for some reason the Hornady gummy tips work fine in the 336. More importantly it is easier and safer to put a really good trigger on a 336 than a 760 and a good trigger is paramount to precise off hand shooting. Oh and I only brought the .30-06 into this discussion because that's what my 760 and 7600 were chambered in.

You asked for advantages and I listed four valid ones. No amount of your rubber weasel words can discount what I said. Guess again.

No guessing at all except on your part. Your advantages are not valid. I know these rifles inside out and know their strengths and weaknesses.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
There's no advantage to a rifle if you don't like it. PA has always been pump central. Yet I've always had a lot of guys tell me they could just never cotton to them. I recently sold my last 760 yet I still have a couple 336's. Both styles work for me but if I'm using a high power cartridge I want it in a bolt action anymore

Originally Posted by NH K9
I don’t have any 336s, but I still have an 1895 and a BLR in the safe.
Preference, for me, leans to a 7600 and, more specifically, a 7600 carbine. I can get a quicker/more accurate subsequent round with the pump. That’s not conjecture, I’ve proven it (for me) at running deer shoots at local ranges.
I’ve also never experienced the dreaded rattle, but maybe that’s just luck.
Again, there is no ‘better’...........just better for individuals.
My 760/7600 didn't rattle either. The forearm is too far forward to allow for optimum grip in offhand shooting. The 760/7600 is always cocked when loaded and in battery. The safety only blocks the trigger, does not lock or block the hammer from falling and discharging a chambered round. Hence it is not as safe as the marlin to put a really good trigger pull on it as it may discharge if dropped or jarred. The Marlin is not cocked when carrying hot so you can safely cut the sear/full cock notch angles and sear engagement to a minimum for a better trigger pull. Quicker repeat fire can be done with the pump but if you need quick repeat fire in a still hunting/tracking rifle with any regularity you're doing it wrong. You should be seeing your deer before they detect you and taking them unaware with one shot most of the time. Of course if you only stand hunt in the woods one rifle works about as good as the next.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
1. I'm not sure how you're built, but at 6' with a decent wingspan the foearm is perfect for me to carry and shoot offhand.
2. My carbine has an excellent trigger and I'm unconcerned about safety.
3. Given the deer herd in NH vs NY and my consistent ability to kill them here on my two feet, I'm not sure I need any hunting advice. My grandfather/dad/uncle taught me well. They also explained that bullets are cheap and to pay the insurance. That's probably why I haven't lost a deer in NH.........ever
4. I still-hunt and track 99% of the time here. Off course, we don't have deer around here that will let you drive an atv around them like you do in your area of NY apparently.

I'm sure you believe your way is better, I'm fact you're quite vocal about it in almost any thread you chime in on. Don't , for an instant, believe many of us can't do it as well.......or better

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NH K9
1. I'm not sure how you're built, but at 6' with a decent wingspan the foearm is perfect for me to carry and shoot offhand.
2. My carbine has an excellent trigger and I'm unconcerned about safety.
3. Given the deer herd in NH vs NY and my consistent ability to kill them here on my two feet, I'm not sure I need any hunting advice. My grandfather/dad/uncle taught me well. They also explained that bullets are cheap and to pay the insurance. That's probably why I haven't lost a deer in NH.........ever
4. I still-hunt and track 99% of the time here. Off course, we don't have deer around here that will let you drive an atv around them like you do in your area of NY apparently.

I'm sure you believe your way is better, I'm fact you're quite vocal about it in almost any thread you chime in on. Don't , for an instant, believe many of us can't do it as well.......or better
I don't know where you get the idea our deer are different than yours or that I drive an ATV around them.. I am the same height as you. Your comments shed doubt that you know how to hold a rifle for best accuracy off hand. Here's a hint. No competitor in any kind of off hand match extends their grip as far forward as the 760 requires. I know because I was one of those competitors myself for several years. One I might add, with the highest off hand average in the league and a couple state championships to my credit so I know a little about it. We do shoot a lot more deer here than you do there so maybe we have a bit more experience. I too have consistently killed deer by still hunting, tracking, driving and stand hunting. Never failed to fill my tags in over 40 years so my success has been pretty good. Your idea of a good trigger and mine are likely different.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1Longbow, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 219DW, 204guy, 53 invisible), 1,934 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,275
Posts18,525,516
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.