Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'd guess that rattlesnakes are one of that cat's favorite meals. That wasn't his first time. He's learned that they're easy to track.

And may just pick on them in the early mornings, or on cool days. A warmed up reptile is many times quicker than a cool one.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Quick hands.

Yeah, for sure.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I watched an old barn cat kill a snake exactly like that years ago. A snake is no match for the quickness of a cat.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'd guess that rattlesnakes are one of that cat's favorite meals. That wasn't his first time. He's learned that they're easy to track.

And may just pick on them in the early mornings, or on cool days. A warmed up reptile is many times quicker than a cool one.

See that video I posted above. Tell me it isn't hot in that one.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cool video

I too was wondering if the Bobcat didn't get bitten. The activity that caught my interest is the rolling around in the dirt before it actually began to eat. If it was so hungry, seems to me it would have just started munching, but that's just my human perspective.

A victory dance?

An attempt to shed pain by rubbing it off?

I know little about feline behaviors. Be interesting to know.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Cats, even housecats can be amazing hunters. We had a cat that lived to be 23 years old. It was a hunter.

Once I was watching a Cardinal eating from a feeder that we has hung on the trellis right off the back porch. I didn't realize the cat was in the area. She was hid in the vines that were growing on the trellis about 7' off the ground.

All of a sudden she exploded out of the vines, and while sailing through the air she hooked the Cardinal with her claws and shoved it in her mouth,...all before touching the ground.

The cat was about 18, maybe 19 years old at the time.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Cool video

I too was wondering if the Bobcat didn't get bitten. The activity that caught my interest is the rolling around in the dirt before it actually began to eat. If it was so hungry, seems to me it would have just started munching, but that's just my human perspective.

A victory dance?

They do that when they're contented. My cat rolls like that every time I give him some attention. He's strictly an outdoor cat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Cool video

A victory dance?

They do that when they're contented. My cat rolls like that every time I give him some attention. He's strictly an outdoor cat.

It's "scent marking" behavior.
They are claiming it as theirs.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/behavior/cat-behavior-why-do-cats-rub-against-you

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a cool video. That bobcat looked like it wasn't quit full grown yet. Funny how he acted just like a big housecat, with that rolling around and other behavior.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Love seeing a damned serpent get what's coming to him. Thanks for posting.

I'll feel the same when Trump trounces Biden.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1911a1
That's a cool video. That bobcat looked like it wasn't quit full grown yet. Funny how he acted just like a big housecat, with that rolling around and other behavior.

Yeah, it was a young cat.

From what I've seen, ALL cats pretty much act the same... House cat, bobcat, or mountain lion. All the same.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd guess that rattlesnakes are one of that cat's favorite meals. That wasn't his first time. He's learned that they're easy to track, don't require a lot of energy to kill,...and tasty.

Tastes kinda like chicken. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great video, thanks. Nothing like knowing what you're doing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I love a bobcat. What a badass.
I had a friend down in Georgia who used to eat rattlesnake. Deep fat fried, I ate rattlesnake with Jerry several times and it was good.
Jerry was an RN, worked the midnight shift at Baldwin County Hospital. He took in, at shift change at 11 pm, a plate full of fried rattlesnake chunks. He wouldn't tell the nurses what it was, but they all had a bite or two.

Then he said "I tricked you it is fried rattlesnake." Several of the girls vomited.
I wonder why Jerry couldn't get a date.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Notice how the bobcat kept batting the top of it's head trying to pin down the business end of that snake. Not going for the tail or mid-body where the snake could whip around and sink it's fangs.

Instinct or learned behavior? I'll go with instinct.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Cats, even housecats can be amazing hunters. We had a cat that lived to be 23 years old. It was a hunter.

Once I was watching a Cardinal eating from a feeder that we has hung on the trellis right off the back porch. I didn't realize the cat was in the area. She was hid in the vines that were growing on the trellis about 7' off the ground.

All of a sudden she exploded out of the vines, and while sailing through the air she hooked the Cardinal with her claws and shoved it in her mouth,...all before touching the ground.

The cat was about 18, maybe 19 years old at the time.

Amazing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Morewood
Notice how the bobcat kept batting the top of it's head trying to pin down the business end of that snake. Not going for the tail or mid-body where the snake could whip around and sink it's fangs.

Instinct or learned behavior? I'll go with instinct.

How about that crunch sound when he finally pinned that head down. Also one of the birds was raising hell, trying to run the cat off and warn all the other animals it was there.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And the kitty said “Buuuuurp”.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
a catastrophe for the Rattlesnake smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (Anaconda, Amos63, 44automag, 01Foreman400, 808outdoors, 10 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 716 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,095
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.