Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Not a great pic.

I found and bought three of these old Stevens pump guns at a regional auction house. One 520 and two 520As. This is the 520. It's about 85 years old. The finish is fairly complete on it and it's very smooth but it's turned quite a bit plum/brown.

It had a bad slide lock spring in it when I got it. Somebody had tried to fix it and assembled it wrong. I installed a new spring and finally figured out the proper way to put it all back together. It functions correctly now.

In the process of locating a new slide lock spring for it I found a place that has quite a few NOS parts for it. I've ordered many new internal parts for it and I'm going to install them when they get here. Some people say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". But I don't think that applies to 85 year old shotguns. These old springs and pins have a lot of time on them.

I'll probably cap the whole project off by cutting the barrel down to minimum legal length and keep it bedside.

It would probably be smarter to just go buy a Maverick 88 12 gauge to keep around. But where's the fun in that?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
what is the minimum length?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
what is the minimum length?

18",....but most people cut them a bit longer to make sure the AFT measures the same way that they do.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I just cant waiver, fold, give, or even be diplomatic about this. An 870 IS the answer if you'd even consider an 88. Your Stephens is old school cool, & if you have a thing for them, have several. Sub gauges, target models, etc. etc. Enjoy! We're not her for another 60.

BUT. when it comes to your hide, a trusted 870 is the final word when it comes to pumps.

Stated as it's from my belief that friends don't let friends fugg around when it comes to a personal scatter gun.

I am not following you tonight Bristoe, you just happen to post subjects of interest.............from time to time. wink

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by gunzo
I just cant waiver, fold, give, or even be diplomatic about this. An 870 IS the answer if you'd even consider an 88. Your Stephens is old school cool, & if you have a thing for them, have several. Sub gauges, target models, etc. etc. Enjoy! We're not her for another 60.

BUT. when it comes to your hide, a trusted 870 is the final word when it comes to pumps.

Stated as it's from my belief that friends don't let friends fugg around when it comes to a personal scatter gun.

I am not following you tonight Bristoe, you just happen to post subjects of interest.............from time to time. wink

I always appreciate your input, gunzo.

I understand why you have the opinion you do about old shotguns. I would too. But I've dissected a few of these old Stevens pump guns and I know how they tick. That's why I'm gutting a significant part of the action and fitting it with fresh parts,...even though the majority of the springs and pins appear original and are still functional after 85 years.

IC B2

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
It's been interesting comparing the original 520 internals to the 520As.

John Browning's original design used leaf springs on the hammer and slide lock. The 520As use coil springs that were designed to fit and function in the original design of the action housing.

For the most part, the 520As are still a Browning design. But some engineer at Stevens came up with a way to utilize coil springs in the place of the leaf springs without significantly altering the basic design.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Only time I've ever seen, the gun was older than the fencepost.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That's a pretty cool old gun.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Only time I've ever seen, the gun was older than the fencepost.

lol,...that's true.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
That’s a good looking shotgun, B.

I’m rather fond of any JMB design with a humpback.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I do understand Bristoe, I've kinda got a thing for Win 97's. A joy to fiddle with.

And, if the outcome of piddling is trusted, it's as good to go as any.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice. I bought, I think as it is not here, a JC Higgins pump 12 gauge probably eight years ago at a pawn shop here dirt cheap. IIRC I found it to have been made by High Standard. The barrel had been cut to 20" and otherwise a rock solid machined steel and wood gun. I gave it to my middle son and just of late is working it with a barrel cut, wood refinish and a Brownells metal coat of some sort. I should see it next week.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice. I bought, I think as it is not here, a JC Higgins pump 12 gauge probably eight years ago at a pawn shop here dirt cheap. IIRC I found it to have been made by High Standard. The barrel had been cut to 20" and otherwise a rock solid machined steel and wood gun. I gave it to my middle son and just of late is working it with a barrel cut, wood refinish and a Brownells metal coat of some sort. I should see it next week.

Take a pic and put it up when you see it. Old shotgun projects are interesting,...to me, anyway.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
I do understand Bristoe, I've kinda got a thing for Win 97's. A joy to fiddle with.

And, if the outcome of piddling is trusted, it's as good to go as any.

I have an appreciation for 1897’s as well.

I’m not sure if it’s just he designed so many firearms, but I often find myself coming across an old gun that just looks “right” and then find it to be a JMB design.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wouldn’t “fix “ it

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I wouldn’t “fix “ it

You couldn't fix it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for kicks... was looking at this bit newer Stevens today, a 77E that's for sale up here. He calls its a trench gun clone so not an actual Vietnam issue gun. I like.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
This is the first Stevens Browning series action I gutted. It's the last variation they made, the 620A. It's essentially the same action as the 520. But there was a bit of a learning curve between the 620A and the old original 520 when it came to the leaf vs. coil spring situation.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I wouldn’t “fix “ it

You couldn't fix it.

Because it’s not broken , Boomer

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 64 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.