Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
I've kinda outgrown all day drinking, but, IMHO, any drinks should be made with fresh ingredients. IME, mixes really suck. They belong in the same category as instant coffee, lite (so-called) beer and the slush puppy frozen drinks air-headed chicks who don't really like liquor tend to favor. So, a recipe for a bloody mary? If I had in mind to have a bloody mary, I'd go for the highest quality bottled (not canned) tomato juice I could find and mix it with vodka, maybe a shot of Tabasco. As far as what kind of vodka, at our house it's Absolute or Grey Goose. Both have been found to be good, smooth, suitable for drinking on the rocks vodkas that will not leave you with a headbanging pain the next day. I seem to recall having consumed ill-advised quantities of Stolichnaya vodka on occasion also without untoward after-effects.

C’mon, man!

Just a drop or two of Tabasco? What about fresh ground black pepper, celery seed and Worcestershire sauce? And boost that Tabasco up some!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 16bore
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

Winner !

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Only a Philistine would make a Bloody Mary or a martini with vodka. Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles gin.

Last edited by Borchardt; 10/17/20.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, that's an opinion.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always got the three flags of Mexico drink when traveling. One of the flutes was semi clear tomato juice. I’m told that Mexican bar tenders pride themselves in preparing the juice.

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by deflave
Clamato.

Belvedere, Grey Goose, Absolut, and Hangar 1 are all good.

Titos sucks ass.

De Flavor.....Nailed the Clamato, blind taste test of customers at a local bar, plain ol' Clamato won hands down. Bartender used generic vodka or gin (yes, a gin bloody mary, make angels sing) added a garnish of a little celery stalk and or a dilly bean.
Of course, nobody beats the Gold Bar on Bridge St in downtown Winnemucca....seriously.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One late evening with I-80 closed due to a blizzard, I had a Winnemucca Belly Warmer in the Gold Bar.

In a large mug:

2 oz brandy
1/2 oz Cinnamon Schnapps
Fill with very hot cider
Stir with a cinnamon stick

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Raab, you are a man of uncommon sophistication and good taste.
Winnemucca is a trap for the unwise....I enjoyed the 5 dollar bloody mary a lot more than the 3,500 dollar Ken Tipton saddle.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Costco vodka is pretty darn good. Don’t forget the bacon strip as the stirring stick. Best Bloody Mary I’ve had used Bacon and Tabasco along with the standard items.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No need for fancy vodka in a BM.
Just good enough that any flavor (which vodka should not have) will not leak thru for the blandest of BMs in your audience.
Otherwise you are throwing away entertainment/recreation dollars.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 805
Costco vodka is pretty darn good. Don’t forget the bacon strip as the stirring stick. Best Bloody Mary I’ve had used Bacon and Tabasco along with the standard items.

That is correct. It routinely beats Grey Goose in blind taste tests and is much, much cheaper.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by 805

That is correct. It routinely beats Grey Goose in blind taste tests and is much, much cheaper.

I have heard good things. Texas does not allow Costco to sell their booze here. We spend summer + in north Idaho where liquor stores are state owned so no go as well. As I wrote, Svedka is cheap and works. Pinnacle is another.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Damn, I am heading out now for some vodka...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Best BM I had was at the Bucket of Blood saloon in Silver City, Nevada. They sell the mix there too.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Umm, could you have had more than one? I kinda thought the Bucket of Blood was in Virginia City?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
https://oliversgourmet.net/items/spicy-bloody-mary-mix/

Best I have ever had.

The thick - ketchup like - consistency provides for ice melt-down and room for your favorite vodka/gin

Garlic, anchovy, celery seed, etc...

Locally based, so shipping might be $$

Looks like a couple stores around here might carry it. Gonna have to check it out.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigPine
Originally Posted by 16bore
[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

Winner !

I recommend the crab cake sandwich to go along with it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Only a Philistine would make a Bloody Mary or a martini with vodka. Bombay Sapphire, or Boodles gin.

Not a BM fan, but I'm with you on martini's. Anything but high-quality gin and an appropriate amount (by individual taste) of high-quality dry vermouth with a few olives is not a martini. At best, it's a "martini-like drink.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Borchardt

Not a BM fan, but I'm with you on martini's. Anything but high-quality gin and an appropriate amount (by individual taste) of high-quality dry vermouth with a few olives is not a martini. At best, it's a "martini-like drink.

Spoken like a true gentleman. Gin is one of the greatest achievements of Western Civilization.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Charleston Fresh & Veggie is my favorite mix

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.