Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, hell no, smoke and scotch is for around the fire back at camp.

Trump Won!
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
If they can smell your smoke they can smell you, too.

I’d think that would bust them more than a cigar would.

Cigar smoking while deer hunting is OK if the cigars are soaked in TINKS beforehand.

P

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some folks get lucky and some folks make their own luck. Scent control is my main concern when hunting whitetails.
The Ozonic is kind of a hassle to use and the deer will hear the fan. But the deer won't smell you when you use the Ozonic in conjunction with other scent control measures.
https://www.ozonicshunting.com/

Life is good live it while you can.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Smoke while your still hunting. Drives the deer crazy I've been told

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's pretty elementary.

When hunting, you are in the living room of everything wild in the outdoors.

Any scent that's not usually there will draw the attention of every animal that smells it.

Some of you talk like you have not spent much time in the outdoors.... wink

I'm generally in this camp. While I enjoy a nice smoke (my Peterson collection is too big really) - it's never in the hunt. Just not necessary for me.

If I suddenly smelled cologne as I walked into my house - I'm pulling a pistol, even if I like the smell. Something's there that shouldn't be and never was before - my fight/flight response ratchets up some. Same for deer.

Me

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We have a herd of deer 45yds from the back door eating corn every morning that I spread by hand every afternoon. If you walk outside to sit on the porch to view them they usually smell you. It's not human scent that alerts deer, it's the amount of human scent. That's why cover scents, scent blockers and Ozonic work.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I view it like whispering in the woods vs yelling. They may still hear (smell) you, but why make it so much worse?

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
My dad smoked a bunch in the deerstand with me growing up, Alpines and then Salem lights, I never remember it spooking a deer, can't tell you how many he had to put when we had a deer coming in. Bow/Shotgun only county, had to get them close. We killed a lot of good bucks.

Funny, I'd ask him why he had to smoke in the stand, his response was always "I'm checking the wind"

Last edited by killerv; 09/26/23.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My Gramps smoked cigars and my dad smoked cigarettes, both while stillhunting. Each of them killed enough deer to fill a boxcar.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Smoke is 1 way of keeping track of air currents. If it's going toward a deer, you're in the wrong place. Talc in a bottle will do the same thing without rotting out your lungs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
My Gramps smoked cigars and my dad smoked cigarettes, both while stillhunting. Each of them killed enough deer to fill a boxcar.

My friend smoked his ass off bow hunting, he couldn’t go ten minutes without firing up another one. He killed plenty deer. If he had to pee, he would stand up in the tripod, let it fly. I don’t know what to say, but apparently that didn’t bother the deer either.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Helps keep the skeeters away

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i used to smoke 1 1/2 to 2 packs cigarettes a day, until i had a stroke. it's been 11 or 12 years since i lit one up. i used to smoke on the ground and in a tree stand and it didn't bother the deer. as a matter of fact, i was smoking when i shot the deer. i've been around a few fires (hunting deer) when it is gotten cold (10 degrees and less) and i've killed a few deer that were coming to the smoke.

15 to 20 years ago, i found detergent that kills UV light and leaves clothes unscented. i use that and a drop or two of earth scent and i'm good to go. i've seen deer pay no more attention to me downwind of me. by my ground blind, i would scrape the leaves off of the ground, urinate, kick the leaves back on it and enter the ground blind.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00194EUUW/ref=emc_b_5_i?th=1&psc=1

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cigars don't bother my deer hunting at all because I don't smoke I dip.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Ogdonia
I have never smoked and would discourage others from doing so - especially when hunting deer and mature bucks in particular.

John
+1 about smoking and bucks. I used to smoke from elevated stands and would still see does. However, it wasn't until I quit that that I began to see bucks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Y'all haven't switched to crystal meth these days? Getcha some that glass dick!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco

My friend smoked his ass off bow hunting, he couldn’t go ten minutes without firing up another one. He killed plenty deer. If he had to pee, he would stand up in the tripod, let it fly. I don’t know what to say, but apparently that didn’t bother the deer either.
I've come to the conclusion that pee is pee, no matter who squirts it out. Deer don't seem to tell the difference. I know dogs use it to mark a territory but I haven't seen that can tell the difference between dog, man, or deer pee.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I think some of it depends on location. I hunt some small tracts near houses where people burn trash , outside fires or wood stove smoke. Those deer don't pay much attention. But a few miles off the road in National forest its a different ball game. Just my experience

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hanco

One of the guys in my club regularly freshens buck scrapes with his own piss. The scrapes continue to be very active.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used to smoke cigarettes, and have killed several deer with one in my mouth. Having said that, I wouldn't do that now days.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 257bobber, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.