Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
An old Norwegian Krag followed me home, heavy frost in the grooves after thorough cleaning. Is Dyna Tek anything that would prevent the inevitable coppering, or is it just something that makes good bores better?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DBC definitely helps frosty bores. It doesn't prevent copper-fouling, but generally extends to period between cleanings--and makes cleaning quicker and easier.

I have also used it in pitted bores, where it also definitely reduced fouling, even lead-fouling with cast bullets. Had an old 1892 Winchester .25-20 for a while, which would NOT shoot cast bullets until I installed DBC. After that it shot them acceptably.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Yes indeed. Mule Deer put me on to it for my 1906 Winchester 94 in 38-55 and it did wonders.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks boys, super slickum order up.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Whoa...nobody mentioned this stuff was 38 bucks an ounce. Might have to go back to my home brewed tungsten disulfide.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Whoa...nobody mentioned this stuff was 38 bucks an ounce. Might have to go back to my home brewed tungsten disulfide.

IIRC it is enough to do five rifles. So less than $8 per gun

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
DBC normally only has to be installed in the bore once, and in my experience that ounce will treat more than a dozen bores.

Exceptions when a rifle is shot a LOT, but even then the barrel itself may need replacing before the DBC wears out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DBC does work well for me

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well......OK, if you say so. I am a man of legendary frugality. I have been known to make a 180 mile round trip to save 20 bucks on a sack of groceries...like, every 2 weeks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pete53
DBC does work well for me

+1

DF

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I had a barrel like that I would fire lap it first with either the Tubbs or the NICO system. It can push your throat forward but it can also make the lands and grooves smoother and more uniform. Then after thorough cleaning with solvents and JB bore paste use the DBK. I think this will improve the chance that you will greatly reduce the fouling over doing just the DBK. The throat is so long on the Krag to begin with I doubt that this will be critical.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
DBC normally only has to be installed in the bore once, and in my experience that ounce will treat more than a dozen bores.

I agree with Mule Deer on this. I found if you use the same loose fitting patch on multiple rifles you don't lose much of the liquid to a dry patch each time.

I did 18 rifles with the same bottle and 4 patches, a 7mm Mag., 3 270's, 2 .35 Rem., 2 .308's, 4 ar's, 2 .223's, 4 .22 rimfires, and I still have a little left, probably enough to do 3 or 4 more 22 rimfires.

I was hesitant at first if I did it right since the instructions say one ounce will do 5 or 6 rifles, but every rifle I had muzzle down on a rag to dry stuck to the rag, indicating to me that the bores were adequately coated.

It's actually a bargain at the price they sell it at in my opinion.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well......OK, if you say so. I am a man of legendary frugality. I have been known to make a 180 mile round trip to save 20 bucks on a sack of groceries...like, every 2 weeks.

Legendary frugality, I have a friend like that. He calls himself a cheap ass. grin

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Basic instructions.Get the barrel down to bare metal. Then use only nylon bore brushes.No brass

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I agree with Mule Deer on this. I found if you use the same loose fitting patch on multiple rifles you don't lose much of the liquid to a dry patch each time.

I did 18 rifles with the same bottle and 4 patches, a 7mm Mag., 3 270's, 2 .35 Rem., 2 .308's, 4 ar's, 2 .223's, 4 .22 rimfires, and I still have a little left, probably enough to do 3 or 4 more 22 rimfires.

I was hesitant at first if I did it right since the instructions say one ounce will do 5 or 6 rifles, but every rifle I had muzzle down on a rag to dry stuck to the rag, indicating to me that the bores were adequately coated.

It's actually a bargain at the price they sell it at in my opinion.

Never thought of treating multiples at one setting, but could see the efficiency of making the product go farther.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Basic instructions.Get the barrel down to bare metal. Then use only nylon bore brushes.No brass

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by saddlesore

IME, soaking with Patch Out does the trick. I don’t use any brushes post DBC.

After repeated shoot and clean cycles, clean up seems to get easier and quicker.

DF

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by mathman

Legendary frugality, I have a friend like that. He calls himself a cheap ass. grin

I contemplated the use of "cheap ass"...but in the interests of honesty, I thought that in truth, none of the ass I ever bumped into was ever cheap.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same here, do as many rifles at a time and if different sized patches or bore mops are required put those in a zip lock bag between coatings. If a mop does dry out it can be rejuvenated with alcohol either denatured or 90% Isopropyl worked. There is a cheaper but similar product Techrolan but I have had no success purchasing it recently and think the company owner may have passed away.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Just noticed it's $29.99 at Midway, and they have free shipping on orders > $49, if there's another thing or two you might want to throw in.

Cheers,
Rex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.