Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Just picked up a ca ridgeline and going to the mountains next year.Was looking for some input on Light weight scopes.
Would like to hear the pros and cons of scopes you have owned.

What’s better than a big buck......????
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Define your version of "light". Chambering/bullet? Application? Mounting system? Hint.

Mass is THE worst way to shop glass.

Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Whitetails45
Just picked up a ca ridgeline and going to the mountains next year.Was looking for some input on Light weight scopes.
Would like to hear the pros and cons of scopes you have owned.

It would be a good idea to provide more information. An idea of the distances involved would be good, as well as what you're going to be shooting at in the mountains. And of course, an idea of how much you are willing to spend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Twisting turrets? Need more info

100% Public land DIY!
W
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
W
I will be hunting elk and mule deer with this rifle. 6.5 Creedmoor 142 grain Nosler accubond. 600 yards is my max for now. Around 700 dollars would be max budget.
I have twisting turrents on an Lrp Leupold but it’s the only one I own so it’s undecided on that aspect.
Would like to stay with 30 mm tube but have been looking at the Swarovski scopes.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Was just looking for some advice on scope people have on their light weight setups. What rings they used. Just some ideas
If I need to answer any other questions let me know and I will answer them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whitetails

Pretty dang hard to hit a target @600 (with a killing shot) without using turrets. This not just banging steel or perforating paper on a range. Yes, experienced shooters can do it off the right "windshield", but that takes much practice, and is easier done by dialing.

Reading the wind for that long a shot is also a skill that few trouble to acquire. Not saying you don't have the skills, but just mentioning these issues for you to consider.

As far a Swarovski scopes, none I see for $700. are anywhere near suitable for a 600 yd shot. Their BRX reticle will give you some rough drops, but you'll have to guesstimate the windage. Not the recipe for a cold bore 600 yd hit.

With a 6.5 Creedmore the 142 grain LR Accubond with have about 81" of drop and 22" of drift in a full value 10 MPH breeze at 600 yds.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talley rings are lite and solid. For light weight rig I’d stay below 12x. With quality 12 you’ll be able to see past 600 yards easy

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s my opinion the lightest scope you’ll get away with for reliably dialing and maintaining zero is a Nightforce SHV 3-10 or SWFA SS 3-9.

I can meet your price point on a lightly used Nightforce SHV 3-10 if interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SWFA SS 3-9x

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Accubomb's suck,as do Talley's,but The Paper Hat Brigade has gotta TRY. Hint. LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'd "prolly" be shooting 147's.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Accubomb's suck,as do Talley's,but The Paper Hat Brigade has gotta TRY. Hint. LAUGHING!

I'd "prolly" be shooting 147's.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...........

Trying to get advice from people seems to be funny and you must laugh a lot ..... thanks for you input

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kchuntail,

You were the one asking questions...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

LAUGHING!

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I've "only" had (8) LW's fail thus far,but obviously have removed 'em from service. Flap your fhuqking lips some more,you CLUELESS Kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for trying.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Jayzzus! Look at that fcuking rust!

Great job there Stinky.

You taking a great gun and turning it into something that resembles your life, is your greatest talent.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

For a mount on a Ridgeline, I'd go picatinny rail and make things easy. A lightweight optic is subjective. Scopes are getting bigger and heavier. What weight and magnification range are your looking for?

Scott
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Rail and Nightforce 4-screw ultralight 30mm or Warne Mountain Tech 1” rings have worked really well for me.

Fear the crabcat.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DV_Ramrod
It’s my opinion the lightest scope you’ll get away with for reliably dialing and maintaining zero is a Nightforce SHV 3-10 or SWFA SS 3-9.

The swfa is ~ 3 oz lighter and has a longer mounting surface, if that matters to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6mm,

At least you can "afford" to "live" vicariously,you Brokedick Whiner as you gawk wares beyond your "means"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Rain is purty "scary". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,you Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

scoot,

All receivers are enhanced ala 1913. Hint..................

Dipsy,

Nightfarce tries. Hint..............

AK',

Pass the 6x MQ. Hint.

If only for parallax and added inclination.

Re-hint...............

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
None of the rifles I carry ever rusted like yours. I guess I just know how to take care of stuff.

You only know how to fkcu stuff up.

What a loser you are.
You lost good guns to your stupidity
And you lost your family for being a complete azzhole.
You deserve it, but your family didn't.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6mm,

Too bad you can't afford a camera,because it'd be funnier than fhuqk to have a picture of your crossed-eyes,with a weather report...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,I can hear your tears falling from here.

Hint.

LAUGHING!................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,348 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,681
Posts18,493,892
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.