Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Big Stick posted to me some time ago about his experience with his friends 270 Wby. I searched the campfire and found his post regarding that day at the range.
<br>
<br>Part of that post concerned his advocacy of laser rangefinders for hunting, and in particular the very reasonable cost, in his case $199.00
<br>
<br>I have hunted for forty years and never used one, but am considering purchasing one. My experience, even on sheep, has been that it is usually possible to get quite close before shooting, so I have never even thought about using one.
<br>
<br>What rangefinders do you guys use and what ones would you stay away from?
<br>
<br>thanks,
<br>
<br>Ted

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
<br>I use an older Bushnell and really prefer it to the new and improved, smaller version. My bigger one is easier to steady up to get the reading and the new ones have a lousy system for keeping the battery cover on. Every one that I have seen that has actually been used is missing the cover....
<br>
<br>There were lots of poor reports on the early Leicas and there seem to be quite a few of them circulating oon the auction sites at times. I would avoid them.
<br>
<br>I don't so much use the range finder to range every critter, but rather start off ranging all kinds of things to get a feel for what the light is doing to dimensions each day. I believe that my ability to judge distance has improved dramaticly from their use.
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hi Art,
<br>
<br>That is just the kind of information I am looking for. Any idea where one could find an older Bushnell? Which one do you have?
<br>
<br>What was the problem with the Leicas? Are they still not a good choice?
<br>
<br>Thanks for your reply,
<br>Ted

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm in line,for the new Leica 1200LRF. I had the 800 Leica and it was a joke. My hopes are,they got this one right.
<br>
<br>Currently I'm using a Bushnell 600 compact and it really is superb,in my opinion. With good batteries,it will range very consistently on Game,to 700yds+. It will read a terrain feature,or a tree canopy,much farther than that.
<br>
<br>I don't shoot any farther than I feel I "have" to. Given good conditions,an undisturbed animal and a capable rifle,the laser is indispensible in my opinion. For an extra 10 ounces of weight,you'll never need to venture a guess at distance again,when weighing options.
<br>
<br>I find myself using it most all the time,if only to hone my guessing abilities. With a laser,you can make routine shots,that many would believe bordered on the amazing. It is the elimination of another variable and that can only help the end result.
<br>
<br>I can't fathom why someone would opt to guess(and often with alarming error),when you can KNOW...................
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yukoner,
<br>This Albertan has been using them for the last 6 years.
<br>At the moment a Bushnell1000 and a Leica 800.
<br>The Leica is smaller and more compact, while the Bushnell through its heavier weight is easier to hold still.
<br>They are both very good. They give the best readings on overcast days or in low light conditions.
<br>They all have decreased capabilities at bright sunny days. They are great in open country, to get a reading on the hill the animal is standing on, or the willow bush/rock it is standing besides. The Bushnell/Leica gives me readings on cattle out to 450 yards, elk 325 yards, deer to 250 yards. It is better to range on a land mark the animal is near too.
<br>I often use it on stand to pre range on land marks around me, sothat when the animal comes out in poor light you know right away where it is in relationship to your pre ranged land marks, and you still can give an accurate shot .
<br>It is known that range estimation is very very hard in poor light. Two hundred yards looks then more like 350 yards. Also show me the hombre who can accurately and consistently estimate range in the open prairies or mountains, there aint many such citizens I can promise you that. I played this game with local experts in the open, like how far do you think it is? and then check with the range finder. Guess what 300 was 275 t0 400 etc. which would be translated in many misses or broken under carriages.
<br>This is where your range finder shines, buy one, and you will not regret it. It will enable you at times to shoot with confidence that otherwise would have been a hail-mary.There are ofcourse times that you do not have time to use it because you have been spotted, and the animal is showing it is alarmed. Probably close enough then, that with a modern well sighted in rifle/cartridge combo it is within your point blank range anyway!
<br>
<br>

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ted I have a Bushnell 600 compact. Works great. I hac a old Lieca that was a POS don't know about the new ones. On something really reflective like a white quartz rock I can get 800 yards easy. I am a sit and wait hunter and I use mine to range landmarks so I will know the yardage when something comes in view. On a moving animal that isn't highly reflective @400 is the best I can do. On tip on the Bushnell, mine any way, change the battery often. You will get wierd reading when the battery starts to fade.
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yukoner,
<br>
<br>I have a Leica LRF800. I have read many negative reports on them, but have never experienced any with mine. Optics are superb. They are light and small. If I had one fault it would be that they are hard to hold stedy, but the narrow beam offsets that. I have had mine range 922 yds. Supposed to be 875 limit. I would not hesitate to buy another one if something happened to this one. I did a lot of looking before I bought the Leica. All the others worked, but in my opinion, the Leica worked better.
<br>
<br>300HH

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of the old style bushnel 600 yard rangefinders. I use it to range terrain features before calling coyotes and to practice range estimation.
<br>
<br>I find that it is one to many things to carry with me. Also, I mainly shoot varmints and often can't find/range ground squirrels. My range finder has pretty poor optics.
<br>
<br>I think that the best solution is to get the Leica Geovids. They combine great optics and a great rangefinder. I would have one except for the $2000+ cost.
<br>
<br>Another solution is the scope and laser rangefinder combination. How ever it is very expensive and heavy.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Huntin' pard bought a Bushnell 800 a few years ago. We mostly used it for varmint hunting (PA woodchucks), but both used it successfully a couple of times for medium-long shots on whitetails (400-500yds).
<br>It has proven to be reliable, accurate and has come in handy when hunting in new territory, as we know most of the yardages in our familiar territory, based on years of experience. Think he paid about $350 for it new.
<br>I would like one of the compact models, if they are as accurate as his older, larger one is. One thing I've found to work well with his 800 is to use it either from prone, both elbows rested, or from the truck hood. Makes it much easier to use than trying to hold it steady while standing.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ted
<br>Mine is the Bushnell 800, and I have never had any problems with battery life or any other little thing. Have ranged from the boat to various objects around us with several different models and brands at the same time and have been amazed at how consistent they all are. Different brands and models, when they can get a reading will all be exactly the same.
<br>
<br>I have found that technique in ranging is the biggest factor in getting a range... some folks simply do not hold them steady enough. The Bushnell 800 is the most forgiving of all the models I have ever tried.
<br>
<br>best to you
<br>art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I write I'm planning on getting the Bushnell 800.
<br>
<br>Jeff

I bought a Leica for a friend for Christmas...it turned out to be a total POS. I brought it back to the retailer, and tried a second one...same thing.
<br>
<br>On the third attempt, I switched to the Nikon 800. It is awesome, everything I was hoping for and then some.
<br>
<br>I wouldn't pay $100 for the Leica, it simply couldn't pick up objects like the Nikon.
<br>
<br>Also, I'm a huge Leica fan...their binoculars are incredible...my latest pair, the 12x50 continue to impress. I'm very disappointed Leica came out with such a junk product.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>-7mag

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
The first batch of Leica 800 RF's on the market had a defective chip in them. Those were recalled by Leica and replaced, but I suspect there's some floating around.
<br> I have a Leica 800 that I use for woodchuck hunting, and it has been extremely effective. It is small and light, and the laser beam is very small, so you must aim it precisely. A rest is often helpful.
<br> Longest range I've measured on a deer is 616 yards.
<br>It sure helps to know the range precisely for long range shots.
<br> Leica has a new one on the way, the 1200 model. Supposed to be within $100 of the 800. Were I to buy one today, I'd get the 1200.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with Jack-the ones after the recall have been from my observations superb! I have the Leica 800 and have no problems! Of course I like the Geovid better-but then again aside from the size and the price who wouldn't.
<br>The only other one I've found I like is the new one from Bushnell called the scout. A fella I guided on a bear hunt brought one along and it worked quite well.
<br>
<br>Just my thoughts
<br>
<br>Dog

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks to all you guys who responded. Have been away for the better part of two weeks, with little time to spend around the campfire. All this information has been very helpful.
<br>
<br>Going to give this some serious consideration.
<br>
<br>Anyone else tried the Leica since they "fixed" it?
<br>
<br>Ted

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yukoner, email Eremicus about it. He uses the Leica.
<br>
<br>Jeff

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm in line,for the new Leica 1200LRF. I had the 800 Leica and it was a joke. My hopes are,they got this one right.
<br>
<br>Currently I'm using a Bushnell 600 compact and it really is superb,in my opinion. With good batteries,it will range very consistently on Game,to 700yds+. It will read a terrain feature,or a tree canopy,much farther than that.
<br>
<br>I don't shoot any farther than I feel I "have" to. Given good conditions,an undisturbed animal and a capable rifle,the laser is indispensible in my opinion. For an extra 10 ounces of weight,you'll never need to venture a guess at distance again,when weighing options.
<br>
<br>I find myself using it most all the time,if only to hone my guessing abilities. With a laser,you can make routine shots,that many would believe bordered on the amazing. It is the elimination of another variable and that can only help the end result.
<br>
<br>I can't fathom why someone would opt to guess(and often with alarming error),when you can KNOW...................
<br>
<br>
BIG STICK and his HIGH $$ Bushnell range finder,,Laffin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hoooly Moooly ..... Thread from 2002

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jwall

Things are getting kinda' wierd around here, ain't they.......?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by jwall

Things are getting kinda' wierd around here, ain't they.......?

Stupid, if ya ax me.

Jerry, I said that.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.