Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Did anyone offer to wash his feet?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wonder if the cops had the legal authority to search him or demand his ID, or if he voluntarily gave it? I guess they somehow got his name if they're to do a background check.
The way I understand it (and not knowing Colorado's statutes) without probable cause or other legal grounds a person has no legal obligation to surrender ID to an officer. I have no idea if being a "weirdo", odd or goofy is enough, especially if he wasn't threatening in any way.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He may have been Jesus

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I wonder if the cops had the legal authority to search him or demand his ID, or if he voluntarily gave it? I guess they somehow got his name if they're to do a background check.
The way I understand it (and not knowing Colorado's statutes) without probable cause or other legal grounds a person has no legal obligation to surrender ID to an officer. I have no idea if being a "weirdo", odd or goofy is enough, especially if he wasn't threatening in any way.

Me either but not hearing anything to the contrary I’ll assume that either he chose to give his info up voluntarily or that his behavior was enough for probable cause. He walks into a Christian church taking random pictures and obviously not there to worship or communicate with church elders. Nor does he comply when asked to leave but starts responding in Arabic. Somehow he’s the victim..

We’re our own worst enemy.

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 10/18/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jackmountain
What would Jesus do?

Mark 11:15–18

Apparently, one of the few things to provoke recorded observable anger in Jesus was when people used the temple for anything but praying to the Father.

Well done, TF49.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
What would Jesus do?

It was Jesus. (OK- I couldn't resist - from the description)

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Isn't that homeless scenario exactly how the West Freeway Church shooting started?

You did right.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What would Jesus do?

Jesus has the distinct advantage of knowing his intent, capabilities and plans beforehand. Jesus could turn him into a pillar of salt on an unpinned grenade before he could release the spoon. The best we can do is assess behavior, fill in the gaps with a few questions and a pat-down.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All churches are soft targets, imo and are ripe for reconnaissance by those wishing to do others harm. This dude may have been completely harmless, but I would choose to err on the side of caution. He probably would have been more than welcome without all the adornments and sat down in a pew without seeking for attention. Could be some new strain of hooch they are growing out there now!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our church keeps our securtity measures behind the scene as much as we possibly can. To date we've had no physical confrontations, but all the church employees and a few other key individuals know what security assets are available on any give day. Only once has the pastor ever felt the need to make eye contact with me to let me know he had concerns about a person we hadn't seen in the church before. We moved three people near him and observed him as closely as we could without drawining attention by the congregation. Nothing came of it, but I felt like we were in position if need be to control the situation.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a harmless flake, really. But how do you know that up front?

Our church has had similar incidents. The most recent being a known diagnosed and usually medicated schizophrenic. The guy is also first cousin to our security team leader, which caused some of both discomfort and chuckles. The guy is prone to episodes of unexplained excitement, which caused a few to shy from him. More then a few times it took a man from the fellowship offer him a friendly handshake, and simply sit with him to calm him.

And we have had a couple of darker incidences where someone showed up looking for their own version of "justice".

Situations like this certainly need to be monitored and guarded against due to the eventuality that someone will be truly and violently disturbed. Violence has and will occur in any place that people meet. And more so if they meet to discuss or teach/learn about right and wrong.
When Betty Sue goes home to her boyfriend and tells him she aint gonna fornicate or do dope with him anymore 'cause she learned better down at the church house, it'll get a reaction.
Sometimes her boyfriend comes and learns about right and wrong for himself.
Sometimes he'll come to tell those do-gooders off.
And either of those the church can accommodate. Anything beyond that begs for a solid security plan.

The community needs to know and recognize our meeting houses as being safe places. But we should not mistake a church house for the Temple of God.

Last edited by johnw; 10/19/20. Reason: clarity

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We've had some strange activity too. Nothing bad has happened yet though. If nothing else it pays to watch everything these folks do and if at all possible make sure you have a clear shot at them if that is needed. One guy came in laid down and went to sleep during the service. He started coming as a regular though and really turned out to be a decent guy that just was down and out at the time. Our churches are different than many places. Our place to to help and introduce people to the gospel. For my part I never want to turn anyone away but we also have people to protect. With that being said there is a risk that a sicko can very easily exploit if they chose to do so. Glad things went okay for all of you.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm glad it all turned out with no real trouble. I understand why everyone was upset.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I remember a floridly schizophrenic man coming into a church I attended back in the 1990s acting all crazy like that, walking up and down the aisle during the service. Harmless, but disruptive.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
What would Jesus do?

Jesus wouldn't have had to ask questions. He would have known exactly who the guy was and dealt with him accordingly.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The question is a fair one. Christians are to be Christ like.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The question is a fair one. Christians are to be Christ like.

Thought about it.... Jesus was and is clearly present in the body of believers.....perhaps He did... “do” ..... it. Perhaps, via the Spirit, He led us to take the action we did.....

Satan is a trouble making deceiver.....appears as an angel of light..... sheep’s clothing..... Jesus did not put up with much foolishness from Satan.....neither should we.

Bible shows us that Jesus acted with utmost love and compassion... but He also acted with firmness and did not tolerate sin nor error. I am pretty sure He does not like his little ones being threatened or harmed.

Being a weak kneed Christian patsy does not seem to be right behavior when facing a threat. In this case, there were clues as to his intent and purpose..... Hiding his identity.... hidden hands.... refusal to dialogue...etc....and when the guy gave the Islamic greeting and Islamic gesture, the path forward was clear.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TF49

Being a weak kneed Christian patsy does not seem to be right behavior when facing a threat. In this case, there were clues as to his intent and purpose..... Hiding his identity.... hidden hands.... refusal to dialogue...etc....and when the guy gave the Islamic greeting and Islamic gesture, the path forward was clear.

The greeting phrase he used is not exclusive to islam. I have heard the same greeting from Christians who come from the region of the Arabian peninsula, of which there are a fair number around.

That said, I have also known some nutjobs who assume middle eastern names and phrases in an apparent attempt to gain religious authority or maybe they just crave attention.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by TF49

The greeting phrase he used is not exclusive to islam. I have heard the same greeting from Christians who come from the region of the Arabian peninsula, of which there are a fair number around.

That said, I have also known some nutjobs who assume middle eastern names and phrases in an apparent attempt to gain religious authority or maybe they just crave attention.

Yes, you are correct but why would this subject use that phrase in a Christian church context?

He said what he said with purpose, intent and meaning. He also presented as not having a middle eastern background. Could easily pass as a customer at a Tractor Supply.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
Sounds like a harmless flake, really. But how do you know that up front?

Our church has had similar incidents. The most recent being a known diagnosed and usually medicated schizophrenic. The guy is also first cousin to our security team leader, which caused some of both discomfort and chuckles. The guy is prone to episodes of unexplained excitement, which caused a few to shy from him. More then a few times it took a man from the fellowship offer him a friendly handshake, and simply sit with him to calm him.

I see this guy sometimes when I'm in town. He works part time at a couple of different places and he rides a bicycle year round. He always appreciates a ride in the winter, if you can take his bike along. He's also interesting to talk to over a coke.
He knows he's different, and he describes it as his perceptions being somewhat muddled and mysterious, but occasionally becoming completely clear and complete. And I think this is when he gets excited.
He claims that on his better days he can laugh about some of his "revelations".
He also claims that some of his revelations about folks have been absolutely right. And I believe him...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (17CalFan, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,573
Posts18,473,304
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.