Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by TimZ
I am impressed the woman survived for two weeks out there; would like to know the story behind that......

The story may end up not being what it seems.

Yup, something does not seem right here.

NRA Patron
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In the Klamath Natl Forest this summer and hunting season, I have never seen so many obviously urban people out and about. Maybe a natural result of job losses, working remotely and phony covid lockdown. I mean clueless urban city dweller types. Low clearance vehicles shedding exhaust parts and bits of plastic and chrome, blatant use of prohibited campfires, trash, toilet paper and worse right on the roadside, garbage, broken discarded chinese plastic camp gear, quite a statement about the rugged American outdoorsman. One nice couple walked up to where I was cutting wood one morning to ask about access to some little lakes nearby, their phones wouldn't work up there. I drew them a sketch map, on a paper plate with north marked with a black arrow, and when the guy handled the "map" each time he held it at least 90 deg off of north. I gently corrected him, twice, and gave up. Don't know if they found the lakes, but I guess they found the city they were from eventually. Safe to assume they didn't have much to teach their kids.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lol.. the women survived 12 days in the wilderness by herself and was found safely.... and is being questioned by a trained boy scout bwhahahahahahahahahahHhHahahahagagahaha

This will for sure be the funniest thing I read all day

Bwhahahahahagahaha

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

the problem is "experienced hiker" can mean anything, depends on the point of reference. Someone who "hikes" in a city park or nicely groomed trails, then travels to Yellowstone, or Tetons, or anything and sees trails marked for "experienced" hikers and it means something else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
Story:

'Overjoyed': Missing Zion National Park hiker Holly Courtier found alive after 12 days
Steve Kiggins, USA TODAY
Sun, October 18, 2020, 6:05 PM EDT
Watch: Mother rescued in Zion National Park after missing for nearly 2 weeks

Scroll back up to restore default view.
A California woman who was missing for nearly two weeks at Zion National Park in Utah was found safely on Sunday and reunited with her family.

Holly Suzanne Courtier, 38, hadn’t been seen since riding a private shuttle into the park’s Grotto area on Oct. 6. Her disappearance prompted multiple search and rescue efforts that were complicated by the fact that Courtier didn’t have a cell phone and hadn’t left a trip itinerary.

Park rangers located Courtier after receiving a “credible tip from a park visitor,” the National Park Service said in a news release, adding that Courtier has since left the park with her family.

“We are overjoyed that she was found safely today,” Courtier’s family said in a statement released by the park service. “We would like to thank the rangers and search teams who relentlessly looked for her day and night and never gave up hope. We are also so grateful to the countless volunteers who were generous with their time, resources and support. This wouldn’t have been possible without the network of people who came together.”

More than the 'Mighty Five'? Utah Rep. Chris Stewart revives bill to create state's sixth national park.

The search for Courtier brought together federal, state and local resources, including the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources and the Grand Canyon National Emergency Service Team, plus park staff and volunteers.

The Park Service statement did not include any information about Courtier’s health or her whereabouts for the past 12 days.

Courtier was reported missing by her family on Oct. 8, two days after failed to return to the shuttle after heading out on the Kayenta Trail toward the Emerald Pools. Her vehicle was discovered in the nearby town of Springdale, at the park’s southwest entrance, early in the search, Zion officials had said.

'The cougar guy': Utah hiker encounters a cougar who followed him for nearly six minutes

Courtier's daughter, Kailey Chambers, told CBS Los Angeles last week that her mom had been traveling the country in a converted van after losing her job due to the coronavirus pandemic. She described her as an "experienced hiker” who was familiar with Zion National Park.

“I know she would not give up on me, so I refuse to give up on her,” Chambers told the TV station. “I don’t care if I’m the only person on the trail looking for her, I’m not going to stop until I find her.”

Look at the eyes, it will tell you all you need to know about this gal.

Crazy eyes......they ain't for begginers.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Today with the reliance on GPS, nobody can read a map and they don't have a good sense of where they are when they start. Forget a compass. They will never look at the direction of the sun when they start. If their cell phone goes dead or loses signal, they have no clue.

So true! No situational awareness either. If you asked them if they have noticed or paid attention to any landmarks along the trail, small or large, they are lost. Did they even turn around ever and look back at where they came with some vague notion of what it will look like going the other way. Nope!

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I think there is a big difference in nomenclature.

Contemporarily the term “hiking” just means “walking on something other than a sidewalk”. A person can have “extensive hiking experience” if they regularly visit green spaces on a regular basis and put on miles walking sub-urban trails contained therein.

The skills we think of as orienteering just aren’t recognized as useful anymore due to the perception that trails will be marked with frequent reminders as to where a person is and the direction hey need to be headed in the form of signage. This is what gets people like the lady referenced in the OP into trouble.

They take that arrangement for granted and you can see when you visit Nat’l Parks that the nanny state has caught on; there are signs and railings EVERYWHERE.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RIO7

Zion, is not the woods, it's sand rock, red clay and sand and scrub cedar trees, lots of hiking trails that are very well marked, from most high points you can see Colorado river or Hi-Way or the lights of Moab, Utah, or the park ranger station, you would have to be a complete dumb ass to get lost there,

We hunted Big Horn Sheep there before Zion and Canyon Lands became National Parks. Rio7

I have hiked Zion and the surrounding areas and it is unbelievable someone could get lost for more than an hour in there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent post, EF. Back in the early 2000s, I was an investor in a hunting business up in Maine called Bowlin Camps. A bunch of us retired and active duty (I was still active then) USN/USMC guys owned it. Maine state government told us in order to "guide" we all had to take their State run course for "Maine Guides". Lots of survival stuff ( old stuff to a lot of us that had gone through the various survival schools), but they really delved into the land navigation/map reading curriculum and no GPS stuff. Anyway, nowadays I think we've all been spoiled with GPS, cell phones, etc. , but it's good to remember:

True
Virgins
Make
Dull
Companions.,,,

ADD Whiskey smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IT begs the question, WTF is a woman doing going for a hike all by herself in the woods? I'm seeing AT LEAST a half bubble of plumb here...

I know plenty of women from western states that could out hike, hunt, shoot and pack your tired old ass and most eastern tenderfeet any day and in any weather condition. Painting with a broad brush when you hunt high fence is really not smart.

You must be psychic...or a woman to know SO much about me...Not to mention you missed the point entirely about this specific female: "“She absolutely loves hiking and it’s one of her favorite things to do and when she needs clarity and to spend some time with herself, nature is her happy place,” Chambers said. .I guess your "Happy Place" is the Brokeback Montain Sauna and gerbel ranch.

not surprising given your issues with simple mechanical tasks...High fence?

caladum just bought a pair of convertible hiking pants at Cabelas in Billings and he is now a certified outdoor expert

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The woman went to Zion for a spiritual awaking. Her daughter freaked out.

She obviously went in with gear and had a 12 day camping trip. Doesn’t make for exciting news tho.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Scouting is full of q ueers that like to bufu teenage boys and trannie "girls".

I wish there was a way to put someone on Double Secret Ignore.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldHat

Today with the reliance on GPS, nobody can read a map and they don't have a good sense of where they are when they start. Forget a compass. They will never look at the direction of the sun when they start. If their cell phone goes dead or loses signal, they have no clue.

So true! No situational awareness either. If you asked them if they have noticed or paid attention to any landmarks along the trail, small or large, they are lost. Did they even turn around ever and look back at where they came with some vague notion of what it will look like going the other way. Nope!

Right you are, Dad! wink

Hat

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
The woman went to Zion for a spiritual awaking. Her daughter freaked out.

She obviously went in with gear and had a 12 day camping trip. Doesn’t make for exciting news tho.

"Spiritual awakening?" Did she pack her peyote?

Concept of the HGTV generation remains.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Crazy lady living in a van decides not to contact her family for two weeks and they declare her lost.

Not one detail in the story how she survived , ate drank, survived hypothermia.( it gets down to the 20's at night now) and managed to get lost in a busy open park.Not even taken to a hospital which is the standard procedure for evaluation. No pics or interviews when she was "found" by a toast tip.

Originally Posted by dale06
I am impressed the woman survived for two weeks out there; would like to know the story behind that......

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Spiritual awakening?

Sounds like some '60s hippie thing.

"Wow, MAN. I was like, um burned out, This capitalism stuff just ain't my bag so I decided I needed to get back to nature and get my head together, you know, man, find myself."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

the problem is "experienced hiker" can mean anything, depends on the point of reference. Someone who "hikes" in a city park or nicely groomed trails, then travels to Yellowstone, or Tetons, or anything and sees trails marked for "experienced" hikers and it means something else.

I would say many who claim to be experienced hikers are experienced at following a dirt groove or where the vegetation has been worn through.
Some may have volunteered for trail improvement days.
Experienced hiker does not equal outdoorsman.

Scouting teaches too much self reliance for the thinking of those who would see it killed.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never been to Zion...what's the water situation in this year of the big drought of 2020?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I consider myself to be pretty self sufficient and would likely be classed as an "experienced hiker". Nonetheless, I have spent a couple of nights in pretty inhospitable situations and have returned home from an afternoon hunt at 2 AM or later more than once. I have also ended up in places somewhat removed from my intended destination when I've gotten distracted by a set of tracks or succumbed to the urge to see what was around the corner. So I guess it can happen but there has to be more to this story and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a mental health issue involved.
By the way, one can call out this particular woman in this instance but Jorge, as usual, let's his butt do the talking when he hints that no woman should be out by herself. GD

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ribka

Crazy lady living in a van decides not to contact her family for two weeks and they declare her lost.

Not one detail in the story how she survived , ate drank, survived hypothermia.( it gets down to the 20's at night now) and managed to get lost in a busy open park.Not even taken to a hospital which is the standard procedure for evaluation. No pics or interviews when she was "found" by a toast tip.

Originally Posted by dale06

Yep. She didn't spend 12 days in the outdoors, that's for sure. She probably went on a bender with some friends.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12savage, 1lessdog, 1936M71, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,679
Posts18,474,956
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.