Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I am looking at a couple of shotguns at a Pawn shop.
I am 60 and have owned a lot of guns throughout the years but I have never owned either of these 2 model of shotguns.
I need either of these shotguns like I need another hole in the head but Just interested in shooting them to test for reliability and then loading them for use as Home defense weapons.
Both have been shot and used so they both have dings in the wood and places where the Bluing is either scratched or worn away..
Talked with the shop owner and She said that she would take $600.00 out the door for both of them together.
Decent deal for both of them ?

One of them is a Remington 11-48 12 Gauge 2 3/4 plain barrel Full choke and the other one is an Ithaca Featherweight 12 gauge with Vent rib.Modified choke.

Concerning the Remington 11-48 is it a decent shotgun and are there extended magazine tubes and Barrels available ?

Same questions regarding the Ithaca 51 Featherweight ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB4

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I've fired 11-48's and owned a 51. I would not give $300 for either of them in average condition or the condition you describe. Nothing inherently wrong with -48's but they're several models ago. 51's would eat action bars and need to be kept extremely clean to operate. There are not likely to be available parts for either one as you inquire. I would say there are some parts available for either but not likely.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
At that price, they need to come with a big tube of K-Y Jelly and a wet, sloppy kiss. Getting screwed and not getting kissed just ain't right!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 11-48 is the forerunner of the 1100.

They work good but some parts might be hard to find and when found might cost a lot.

The other i know nothing about.

They do seem to be a little high.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Find a Rem 870 for what you want - they are reliable and there are lots of accessories for them. Not necessarily recommending Cabelas but here is a link to some -

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/remington-model-870-express-pump-action-shotgun-with-hardwood-stock

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/Remington-Model-870-Express-Pump-Action-Shotgun-with-Synthetic-Stock

I think youir pawn shop is trying to take advantage of the so-called "shortage situation".

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Agree. Too much for them.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The 11-48 is not a gas operated gun. I kicks like a bloody mule. As stated above, the Ithaca 51 has poorly designed action bars. They break quite often and the best source of replacements is used gun parts, so who knows how long a used replacement will last. Somebody is manufacturing new and improved quality action bars, but they are priced near the value of the gun.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 10/19/20.
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks guys
I already have a Mossberg 88 security pump and a mossberg shockwave bot in 12 gauge,
Just wanting a couple of automatic shotguns
I may see if I can get her closer to $550-500 for the both of them if can have say $550.00 in 2 automatic shotguns out the door that would be an average of $275.00 per gun (Tax Of 10.5 percent)included in the price.
At that price I would not be getting a steal for sure but I don’t think that I would be getting screwed to badly.
Especially if I they are reliable and I am not going to be putting thousands of rounds through them.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Keep looking, better deals are out there. Being a lefty I like the Mossbergs with the tang safety, I've had one since I turned 16. A couple years ago a really ratty looking but tight 12 ga was on the shf for $129,. I kept going back to the shop every couple of weeks and finally picked it up for $100 plus tax. Its sitting all tucked away in the safe right now looaded for home defense.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think more like 400.00 for both if you really gotta have em
Just my thoughts.
An 11-48 in 410 or 28ga will cost you.
A 12 is a tough sell.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know a thing about the Ithaca 51, but I have a Remington 11/48 in 12 gauge. It is a solid shotgun. You don't see barrels everywhere, but I found a 26" IC barrel for it on Gun Broker. The Remington is in very good shape and is a very usable shotgun. I never noticed any more kick with it than I would expect with a Browning Auto 5. It doesn't kick hard but you can tell that there is a lot of stuff going on during the recoil. I'd go for the Remington 11/48 and pass on the Ithaca 51.

Harry
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Hard pass on both of those.

Listen to the advice above. You would be better off with one auto that is quality than with two pieces of junk Listed above. 600$ will buy a nice used semi auto shotgun typically

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Think more like 400.00 for both if you really gotta have em
Just my thoughts.
An 11-48 in 410 or 28ga will cost you.
A 12 is a tough sell.

+10 in my book neither are worth jacksh*t keep you money in your pocket. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bcraig
I am 60 and have owned a lot of guns throughout the years but I have never owned either of these 2 model of shotguns.
I need either of these shotguns like I need another hole in the head but Just interested in shooting them to test for reliability and then loading them for use as Home defense weapons.
Both have been shot and used so they both have dings in the wood and places where the Bluing is either scratched or worn away..
Talked with the shop owner and She said that she would take $600.00 out the door for both of them together.

One of them is a Remington 11-48 12 Gauge 2 3/4 plain barrel Full choke and the other one is an Ithaca Featherweight 12 gauge with Vent rib.Modified choke.

Concerning the Remington 11-48 is it a decent shotgun and are there extended magazine tubes and Barrels available ?

Originally Posted by bcraig

I would recommend, instead, that you just buy a couple of Mossberg Maverick Riot Models, which (at least last year) could be found for as little as $200.00 apiece. Test them both out for reliability and consider yourself good to go.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’d pass, almost regardless of price. The only older auto that would interest me is a Browning A5, and I have one, although it may go down the road as bird hunting around here is pretty much dead.

My best advice would be to look elsewhere for your automatic fun. I’ll bet you can find a decent 1100 for $600, and parts for those, if needed, should be easy to find.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (160user, 007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.