-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just got back from my xfer dealer with a sporterised VZ 24.
The scope is about useless as it is mounted and is a no-name besides.
Obviously I have to address the safety to mount another scope.
Two options I am considering are the Timney Low Safety and the Timney Featherweight trigger with safety.
As it sits, the trigger is a mite heavy, but surprisingly crisp so an upgraded trigger is not a high priority, but would be nice.
Your thoughts on these two approaches appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I prefer a safety that also blocks the firing pin, so of the two, the Buhler style would be my pick.

I've always thought it was a disappointing shortcut for high dollar custom rifles to use the trigger safety on a timney. It just doesn't look right to me.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I agree. The trigger-blocking safety is fine and dandy, but personally I prefer a striker blocking safety on a Mauser.

For a real treat, how about a side swing safety? Several out there. Classy and they work, but admittedly a fair amount more money by the time it's installed.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Different price range, but the Satterlee safety is outstanding

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mrfudd
Different price range, but the Satterlee safety is outstanding

That is a sweet looking unit! Its also close $ to what I have in the rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the low swing safety. I like them better than a side swing M70 style when talking Mauser.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

JAMES A KOBE <Jkob60msn.com>
Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 5:59 AM
to me

I responded to your PM, I have 6 coming from blueing, $135 each shipped, no paypal.

Jim Kobe

10841 Oxborough Ave So

Bloomington MN 55437

I have the tooling to do this myself, but Jim does it better.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The problem I have with all the wing safeties is that they’re hard to switch off quickly, quietly, on a scoped rifle. I’ve had the left-side FN two-position and the Buehler. The M70-style lets you hold the lever between your thumb and finger and ease it off, but they cost a bunch. The one I have came on the rifle, but ordinarily I’d forgo those as out of my price range. Not long ago I installed a Timney Featherweight on an FN and left the wing in place so I could lock the bolt with the sear lifted off the trigger, but also use the only side safety while holding the rifle at the ready.

Another Mauser sporter is in the works, a Heym, with a right-side wing. Don’t know for sure, but likely it’s a two-position similar to the Buehler. Won’t know for sure until next week as my FFL guy is under quarantine after getting a letter saying he’d been exposed to the Plague at his workplace.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The one pictured above looks like a Wisner safety. They are superb; I have them on two FN Mausers and highly recommend them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The problem I have with all the wing safeties is that they’re hard to switch off quickly, quietly, on a scoped rifle. I’ve had the left-side FN two-position and the Buehler. The M70-style lets you hold the lever between your thumb and finger and ease it off, but they cost a bunch. The one I have came on the rifle, but ordinarily I’d forgo those as out of my price range. Not long ago I installed a Timney Featherweight on an FN and left the wing in place so I could lock the bolt with the sear lifted off the trigger, but also use the only side safety while holding the rifle at the ready.

Another Mauser sporter is in the works, a Heym, with a right-side wing. Don’t know for sure, but likely it’s a two-position similar to the Buehler. Won’t know for sure until next week as my FFL guy is under quarantine after getting a letter saying he’d been exposed to the Plague at his workplace.

Kindly tell me how you open the bolt with the flag safety in the vertical position, doesn't it hit the scope?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The commercial FN wing is like the Buehler, only on the left, and it’s trimmer. Only goes to about 10 o’clock, not vertical, so you lose the middle position that lets you open the action with the safety on, and bolt takedown is “complicated”. If the safety is on, the bolt is locked. It is very fast to flip to the fire position if you don’t mind the noise.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by GF1
The one pictured above looks like a Wisner safety. They are superb; I have them on two FN Mausers and highly recommend them.

Yep; they’re a great “middle of the road” option cost-wise with the options in OP as cheapest end and Saterlee M70-style most expensive.

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
More than a few good suggestions here! I'm ever with the "striker impinging" safety on the bolt shroud - KISS principle! Most rugged and positive. That said, nothing 'wrong' with trigger impinging quality adjustable trigger combo safeties. The original FN commercial striker safety of the fifties, left wing mounted. Buhler pattern was only right mount to recollection & 'relatively' silent. Below pix of one on AZ mauser small-ring sporter. Buhler availability perhaps such as eBay??? I do like the Winchester 70 style... For the Winchester. I'd not pay the toll for it where other alternatives available, good and less expensive/complicated install.
Just to suggest the best position from which to conjure safety is after scope + mount location & height determined!

Best & Keep Safe!
John

Attached Images
R225-9U.jpg (21.87 KB, 184 downloads)
Last edited by iskra; 10/19/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice rifle. How about pics of the rest of it?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
Two options I am considering are the Timney Low Safety and the Timney Featherweight trigger with safety.
As it sits, the trigger is a mite heavy, but surprisingly crisp so an upgraded trigger is not a high priority, but would be nice.

WIth that scope mounted that way how do you even see through your scope, too much eye relief?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Is there a Wisner-type unit available for the Model 96 Swede?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes there is, I have done a number of them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used several of the Dakota 3-position M-70 type safeties & they work very well, but are expensive.

I also like a commercial shroud with a trigger/safety like the Timney.............works well, looks sleek.

MM

Dakota safety of a 1909 in front, a Spandau in the rear..............sorry for the poor pic, all I have available.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah

WIth that scope mounted that way how do you even see through your scope, too much eye relief?

You could not see through it at all, or at least I couldn't. to. Someone had to simply stick that of junk on there. Why is a matter of conjecture.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,203
Posts18,503,687
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.