Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
These communists have changed the psych in the world 180*.

For commerce to occur (all economic channels open and flowing from manuf. – consumer) there has to be people willing to release their discretionary income, “if” they have it. (High unemployment coupled with fear will show they don’t have it or refuse to spend it)

When you can get people to spend, that will be when the markets will come back.

As long as the masks stay on, that will be your sign of people unwilling to do so, because that is them telling you they are scared, and scared people do not spend discretionary income when they believe there are “major” unknowns (Testing / sickness / death) in their economic future.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

For commerce to occur (all economic channels open and flowing from manuf. – consumer) there has to be people willing to release their discretionary income, “if” they have it. (High unemployment coupled with fear will show they don’t have it or refuse to spend it)

As long as the masks stay on, that will be your sign of people unwilling to do so, because that is them telling you they are scared, and scared people do not spend discretionary income when they believe there are “major” unknowns (Testing / sickness / death) in their economic future.

Gee. Damn. Oh my.

I guess I better not buy that new Ford Raptor.

I probably shouldn’t have recently bought that 40hp John Deere Tractor with disc, bush hog and drag box. Bad move.

Neither are electric, either.

Walmart shelves were very bare today as were the meats sections.

Had to wait at the gas station today to fill my truck and auxiliary fuel tanks.

Yep, things have gone to hell in my greater area.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MM879
Might be some volitility due to BANKRUPTCY.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/20/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by EdM
When I retired I set up my portfolio so that I do not have to nickel and dime it or, frankly, watch it much which I did daily while working. As a senior manager retiree of Royal Dutch Shell I hold a pretty good chunk of stock as it was a healthy piece of my compensation. I still hold it well down and with a hugely reduced dividend. I don't need the money and will just ride it out as I have done for years.

So, does that mean you think it's a good time to buy or not?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Solar panels and windmills sound good to the lefties..

Until you have a major interruption on the power grid.

Days/ weeks after a hurricane Folks run their lives off generators not solar panels.

That will never been replaced with batteries.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
I bought a truck load of XOM at $36 last March. Still holding it. I think it'll double in 2-years.

Mee too, bought at 30.50, iirc sold at 46 bucks, in and out quick, but have people much smarter than me keeping eyes out.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BTW, bootleg pulls are always fun ; ]

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JakeBlues

Gas vehicles don't have to be dead though. Even if there's slowly eroding demand, that could be enough to put a ceiling on the sector long term. I don't have to like it to see the writing on the wall. Plus, I can tell you that telecommuting is here to stay for a lot of businesses. Even after the lock downs are over, there will be a net loss off business commuters.

You’re looking at it from an American perspective and forgetting about the rest of the world. Oil is a globally traded commodity. China has four times the people as us, India has three. Neither are worried about saving the planet, they just want to grow their economy as much as possible.

Announcing the death of oil is premature.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
One Oke may be worth considering soon again...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by MM879
Might be some volitility due to BANKRUPTCY.

Or acquisitions.

Conoco Phillips is buying shale producer, Concho.

We’ll see more of this and probably some notable mergers.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

You are reading way too much into the mask thing. That's like saying that as long as you see people wearing seatbelts, that is them telling you that they are scared of getting killed on the highway. Agree with the wearing of masks and seat belts or not, it is merely people taking precautions. When I go into a store, which is infrequently even in normal times, I wear the mask because it is requested/demanded that I do so, not because I'm scared.

I like the energy stocks as well; current dividends plus likely appreciation in the next few years make them a good value relative to anything else out there.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There isn’t much appetite for o/g stocks on the street right now. All the boys have been burned and some of them in a big way. You’re going to see additional M&A for a while to come. Companies are coming to have to get bigger to compete and survive. They’re also going to have to get lean in non-revenue generating positions. You can’t afford to pay 250 IT and HR people anymore. Things are changing and traditionally o/g operators are slow to change. They push their vendors for price cuts to the point of bankrupting them, and then they may look internally. That’s just beginning to happen over the last 6 months or so. Service companies have stopped slashing prices to its time for the operators to do it on the inside.

Right now wouldn’t be a bad time to get in on some larger companies that have a long track record. Just know that when/if you do you may have to play the long game to make a really good return. Holding and selling at the right time could make for a REALLY good return, though. The o/g sector isn’t going anywhere. Wind is a joke, solar takes up too much space, greenies are freaked out by nuclear, and now people are bashing coal as well. Someone has to make electricity to charge all these new battery powered cars that are rolling out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And if you really want to watch a spike in prices based on lack of volume let them ban fracing. Within 6 months all hell would break loose.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,471
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.