Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I gotta look for the Lost Sheep Church smile - - -
What value is there in joining a group
thats already lost?
Answer might be driven by one's beliefs regarding redemption, or about giving leadership.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jorgeI
We are ALL amateurs compared to what I've witnessed in Africa when it comes to situational awareness. We were hunting the province of Dande North in Zimbabwe, thousands of square miles. We'd cruise the dirt roads until we cut a buffalo track (or tracks) and follow it for hours meandering all over the place. When it came time to go back, they cut a direct line and hit the spot where we parked spot on.

The day I killed a buffalo, it was pitch black, so off they went to get the truck which was miles away and they came right to the spot where myself and my hunting partner were sitting...Amazing

Uhhhh....

What's amazing about that?

Besides the navigation skills, I would think that two guys sitting in the dark next to a dead buffalo might be of interest, do they have grizzlies there?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Besides the navigation skills, I would think that two guys sitting in the dark next to a dead buffalo might be of interest, do they have grizzlies there?

Birdfugker,

I know you like to pretend that you have a lot of time in the outdoors.

Do it with someone else.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Birdfugker,

I know you like to pretend that you have a lot of time in the outdoors.

Do it with someone else.

LOL

Insulting other men on the internet is a gift a man gives to himself wink

You don't think sitting out after dark in the bush in Africa next to a dead buffalo would be remarkable?

Ain't "the outdoors" like, outside?

I don't pretend anything, just state the facts.

Re: Africa: the most remote I got in was me and a friend 70 miles on foot through elephant country across the Afram Plains, but we didn't have to navigate, we asked the locals for directions, footpaths through tall elephant grass during the wet season. Seen where elephants had passed, all the grass pushed aside in like a channel, never saw any. Just as well, elephant grass is so sharp ya get paper cuts from it, the only avenue of retreat would have been up and down the path.

I have used map and compass more'n many, Camp Bullis mostly over a period of years, finding rebar stakes 1,000 - 1,500m away at bird sampling points, before the first GPS units (1994?) arrived and made it easy so there's that. Excellent place to learn how consistent your paces were over uneven terrain, enough relief that you could check yourself for accuracy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Heym06
I hike the Pacific Crest trail quite often during warm weather. I see many young people hiking, long distance. Far more than 40 years ago! Don't think these young people have no woods skills, because they weren't boy scouts! The area i hike the most includes Crater Lake park north to Sisters wilderness! Plus the gear available today is better than when I was younger!

There are ultra light hikers that do the whole trail with no tent and no stove. Using bleach drops for water purification.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Birdfugker,

You’re every teacher I’ve ever met.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Prefering relative solitude in nature sounds
better than keeping up cheap appearances
at lost sheep church gatherings.

I gotta look for the Lost Sheep Church smile

What value is there in joining a group
thats already lost?..

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.  "
(Joh 10:27 ESV)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdfugker,

You’re every teacher I’ve ever met.

LOL

Thankyou.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Local news is saying the woman had a head injury, maybe why she stayed lost for so long. A Garmin Outreach would have had her found within an hour.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smarquez
Local news is saying the woman had a head injury, maybe why she stayed lost for so long. A Garmin Outreach would have had her found within an hour.

An Inreach would have been even faster. grin

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Situational awareness?

Like Jorge1, I shot a buffalo in Africa shortly before dark. One of the trackers took off his heavy coveralls (which they wear over shorts and a shirt--their metabolism is apparently lower and they get cold) and hung them up around the buffalo. This deters hyenas from eating the buffalo. We returned in the morning. At night we had to walk a couple of miles out. At one point we made a wide detour. They explained there was a cow elephant in the path. I didn't even see her. African trackers can see better with their eyes than I could with binoculars.

Boy Scouts of America? They are alive, well, and "straight" where I live.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Situational awareness?

Like Jorge1, I shot a buffalo in Africa shortly before dark. One of the trackers took off his heavy coveralls (which they wear over shorts and a shirt--their metabolism is apparently lower and they get cold) and hung them up around the buffalo. This deters hyenas from eating the buffalo. We returned in the morning. At night we had to walk a couple of miles out. At one point we made a wide detour. They explained there was a cow elephant in the path. I didn't even see her. African trackers can see better with their eyes than I could with binoculars.

Boy Scouts of America? They are alive, well, and "straight" where I live.

Where I was the favored wear among the locals in the bush were long heavy raincoats, London Fog being specifically favored.

In the wet season the tall elephant grass (dunno if that is the correct name, we called it that) would paper-cut the heck out of you if you pushed through it. The raincoat also gave protection against tsetse flies.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This thread is pretty funny. If your post has roads trucks or trackers in it you may not get what remote means. Old guys got stuff done for a long time while learning that the indigs often got lost. The current generation of soldiers, climbers and adventurers go farther, faster and carry less gear than most can imagine...many while wearing shorts. Welcome to the 21st century. My ancient growler and I will go for a hike tomorrow in the Gros Ventre Wilderness, I hope we survivegrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by comerade
Two issues, for myself.
- I have always been both horseback and afoot in this region, west slope of the Rockies.
Firstly, the introduction of atv's and the like, this brought in motorsports people into our mountains.
It now is a huge lobby regarding back country access.
These users cannot imagine hunting without.
- I am always a little shocked when I see someone in short pants, no hat and no gear on a mountaintop. We were taught to be prepared and wear wool, light wool in the summer, a good felt hat. Country folks don't even leave the house without a proper lid.

I use to wear wool, but now there is probably a dozen companies making synthetic stuff that is 10 fold better than wool.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My ancient growler and I will go for a hike tomorrow in the Gros Ventre Wilderness, I hope we survivegrin

mike r

We're all hoping the ancient growler makes it back OK.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
My ancient growler and I will go for a hike tomorrow in the Gros Ventre Wilderness, I hope we survivegrin

mike r

We're all hoping the ancient growler makes it back OK.

She is smart enough to pack out my head and fingertips if I get snuffed. Does your wife

know how to cash in on your demise or did you teach her yourself?

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My son is a wealthy man if I cash in before age 70. I try to be nice to him.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BIRDWATCHER - " ... Where I was the favored wear among the locals in the bush were long heavy raincoats, London Fog being specifically favored. ...

London Fog? Waz a matter with those guys? Shoulda been wearing genuine Burberrys trenchcoats for real protection. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Velvet Jones: Yes, your Honor. I know why they didn't find the ho sooner, and I can clear this up just three words: Da bitch UGLY!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by persiandog
something wrong with this story.

I told you!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sheriffs-sergeant-questioning-rescued-zion-111959948.html

Sgt. Darrell Cashin, who helped the search-and-rescue effort, now says he has questions about Courtier's story, and pointed out multiple discrepancies.

For example, Courtier's daughter told CNN that her mother hit her head early in the hike and became so dehydrated that she couldn't open her mouth.

Cashin doubted this claim, saying park officials said she was able to leave the park on her own, largely unassisted.

Cashin also questioned how Courtier was able to survive nearly two weeks alone without, as her family said, food and little water.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 338Rules, 257_X_50, 32 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,596
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.