Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am going on a 3rd season rifle elk hunt in a few weeks. In the packing list I received, they strongly suggested I bring a Harris bipod. I have no problems with bipods, and use them for shooting steel, predators, and prairie dogs. However, I have never been able to get acceptable results with a relatively light rifle like the one I want to take on this hunt. For big game I typically shoot off a pack in the mountains or sticks or improvised rests if necessary. The outfitter claims they have had more success and less wounded game when clients use a bipod.

Yes, if I'm at the range, in perfect prone position, the ground is suitable and I can load the bipod, I can shoot a smaller group with a bipod than the same rifle off a pack. However, in field conditions, I will get fliers, muzzle flip, end up off target, etc with a bipod. On the other hand, with a pack, I seem to be able to handle just about any situation regardless of how awkward the position may be.

Is my experience different than others? I can't imagine that most clients are all so proficient at loading a bipod on uneven terrain that they shoot that much better than me. Am I missing something? Maybe improperly using a bipod results in less error than improperly using a pack? I typically listen to guides and outfitters recommendations, and will take my bipod along. But I plan on shooting quite a few shots from various positions with both on range day (with my guide watching) to see if his opinion changes before I hunt with it.

Knowing you guys want details. .300 WSM (less than 7 pounds no brake) loaded with 180 accubonds. Told to expect shots to 300 yards max.

------------------------
John
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't use bi-pods for hunting. Every time I practice in the field using them (and sometimes off a bench), I get variable results and unexplained fliers. Maybe I just never learned how to use them correctly. Still haven't figured that one out.

I prefer a set of 1/2" oak dowel shooting sticks, 3 feet long, with a bolt through them about 6" down from the top and a nylon strap over the short ends and bolted, allowing for variable width/height of the sticks. My father built my first set, and I have patterned all others I have used after it. I can reliably shoot and have shot game well past 400 yds with those sticks from a seated position. If I need to shoot beyond that, and conditions allow, I will generally shoot over my pack, with multiple rest points along the stock. The best shots I've ever made in the field were off my pack. Confidence in my equipment matters far more to me than other people's opinions of my equipment.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The very fact that you mentioned "loading a bipod" tells me you know way more about using one than their average client. I'd take it along and then just shoot the way you want to if they'll let you.
Does your bipod have a lever that allows the rifle to pivot on it to compensate for uneven ground under the bipod legs? IMO, that's a most important feature to have.

Good luck on your hunt!

Rex

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TRexF16
I'd take it along and then just shoot the way you want to if they'll let you.

Yes, the customer is always right?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Obviously the typical clients can’t shoot well, the guide would rather not have clients wounding game.

Keep that in mind when you think about the expected shooting skills required, sounds like you will exceed their expectations shooting from a pack.

Personally I prefer a bipod, but I wouldn’t pack one if max range was only 300 yards. But I would/will put one on my kids rifle to help them out.

Sean
IC B2

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Rex, Yes I have the Harris that lets you adjust to level the rifle.

------------------------
John
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
As you said except for perfectly set up prone shots I don't care for them. I seldom carry a frame pack so it is usually improvised or sticks for me. In open country I will use a trigger stick tripod. Bring it and then talk the guide out of carrying it if you can. I really liked an older Kelty pack for shooting as the top angled cross bars made a perfect rest with some pipe insulation foam over the intersection.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The pic oughta answer the question for me. Bipods are nice when walking varminting, for big game...not so much. I learned early the less stuff you have to pack up the hill, the better...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I'm another one who uses a pack for prone and sticks for sitting (and often even offhand).

My primary pack is a fleece one, and my rifles shoot exactly the same off it as they do off a padded front rest on the bench. Don't use a bipod except sometimes for varmint shooting, as have found they're more of a PITA than they're worth in the field.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I tried the Harris biopd, it didn't work for me. I didn't like that it was attached to my rifle. What has worked is a collapsible bungee-corded bipod shootng sticks.

Last edited by super T; 10/19/20.
IC B3

jmh3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

------------------------
John
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Backpack guy. Hell, I've been known to stuff a rolled up sweatshirt as the only item into a light backpack for the sole purpose of laying the rifle across it.

Any means of keeping the techno-crap count manageable on a big game hunt...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a Harris bipod in order to give it a fair trial. It isn't the only bipod I've used either. I found it worse than useless: among other issues I found POI shifts with hunting rifles depending on the surface it was on, and even without that I could group better over a daypack. Add to that the way it got in the road, snagged on stuff, added weight and spoiled the balance of the rifle and in the end I was glad to be rid of it.

Over a daypack I can shoot groups which compare well with those shot from a benchrest, and the POI is the same too. YMMV.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Javelin Bipods w/long legs for sitting/kneeling. Pack for prone. The Javelin bipods are under 8oz and install in <10Sec. No need to leave a bipod on the rifle that makes it a pain to get in/out of a scabbard/case, make it ill-balanced for off-hand shooting, etc.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Puddle
Backpack guy. Hell, I've been known to stuff a rolled up sweatshirt as the only item into a light backpack for the sole purpose of laying the rifle across it.

This^^^...........

I have a Javelin lightweight bipod, but only carry it for pronghorns. So far I haven’t been in a situation to actually deploy it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Puddle

This^^^...........

I have a Javelin lightweight bipod, but only carry it for pronghorns. So far I haven’t been in a situation to actually deploy it.

I shot an elk @ 350yds and a Mule Deer @ 560yds both off of the long-legged Javelin. For the deer I was on a steep hill, had the carbides dug into a fallen log and my pack rested on the stock behind the pistol-grip to steady things.

Last edited by horse1; 10/20/20.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have been using a gadget that connects to your hiking poles to use as a rest that was recommended by Huntsman 22 that works like a charm and is very quick to get set up. On the rare occasions that allow prone my pack works well. Sitting w/ sticks I feel very confident at 300 yards and more.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use everything but a bipod. I’ve never had nor seen anyone else have luck with them in hunting situations and a pack is always available and faster to deploy than a bipod. Between a pack, hiking poles (loop wrist straps over the opposite handles for a rest) or spotting scope tripod, I see no need to carry nor risk a bad shot from a bipod.

Pitter Patter!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've found shooting sticks a lot more useful than a bipod for elk hunting. I used to carry a bipod in my pack in case a situation came up where I needed one but it never has. Uneven terrain and too much vegetation usually make bipods unusable in real hunting situations. I've never had a time where I could have used one. Most of my shots have been made off of collapsible shooting sticks, those I wouldn't be without.

Most outfitters know a lot more about hunting than they do shooting. If they insist upon you bringing a bipod then I'd show up with one to show them then put it away and forget about it. Be ready with the shooting sticks or pack. Sometimes instead of arguing it's just better to nod your head, say OK, then go about doing your thing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My last 3 WY raghorns (as well as my last mule deer buck) were shot off an Atlas bipod.
I am leaning more and more towards just resting on my pack, but there are plenty of instances where a bipod is fine. I have, however, used bipods on my pack before too, to get the rifle a bit higher for shooting uphill.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,677
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.