Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Got a call this morning from our landowner to tell me that he has sold the place we have been leasing. He told me that the new owner would be contacting me and that we could keep the lease but since the new owner bought it to quail hunt on we would no longer have the quail rights.
We were subleasing the quail to a group of guys from Illinois for about 30% of the total lease price to keep our cost reasonable. If the new owner wants the same money for the place we'll have a decision to make. We will either have to add some more hunters to the group or pony up some serious cash.

The quail hunters we had only hunted in Jan and Feb so they didn't bother our deer hunting at all. If the new owner is going to be there quail hunting all through the season there may be problems arise from that though. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out.
I really like this place and had thought we would be able to keep it leased for a long time but it looks like we're holding the short end of the stick with little or no leverage and limited choices.
I just HATE it when stuff like this happens.

DT

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No bueno Droptine. If the new owner bought it for quail then I'm sure he'll be out there from the start of the season. However, maybe the guy isn't local and won't be able to make it out much?

I hope it works out for you. If you decide to try adding members let me know.

I hate rude behavior in a man....won't tolerate it.

-Captain Woodrow F. Call
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well he isn't local. Landowner said he lived in Ft. Worth and said he was a really nice guy. I hope he's right and that everything works out.

DT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hookemhorns says he gonna PUKE sick
Said he feels like someone kicked him in the nether regions.

DT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know about there, but here, the lease survives the sale.......if you have paid for this season, you should have control of all the hunting rights......

Cancer Sucks
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
coolDroptine-sorry to hear of your situation, things do change don't they.

I work in real estate here in Montana and could always find you a place to hunt elk and or whitetail up here... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It is amazing what some have to spend on their passion. shocked But buying a ranch to quail hunt is like buying an airline 'cause you like peanuts. Good quail hunting is so cyclical.
I have seen a lease where the two leases could coexist, but it was a very unusual set-up.
Good luck.

stumpy

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GonHuntin
Don't know about there, but here, the lease survives the sale.......if you have paid for this season, you should have control of all the hunting rights......

Haven't paid a dime on this season. We have paid in full the first of each season.

DT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
coolDroptine-sorry to hear of your situation, things do change don't they.

I work in real estate here in Montana and could always find you a place to hunt elk and or whitetail up here... cool

Dober

If this doesn't work out I may be in touch.

DT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stumpy
It is amazing what some have to spend on their passion. shocked But buying a ranch to quail hunt is like buying an airline 'cause you like peanuts. Good quail hunting is so cyclical.
I have seen a lease where the two leases could coexist, but it was a very unusual set-up.
Good luck.

stumpy

You're right there. I wish I could afford to buy 3500 acres to hunt on. Heck I can barely afford to lease it.

DT

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
DT,

Sorry to hear about the lease complications. You have a good group of guys on your lease - I hope things work out. Our lease isn't that far from yours and as you know, our situation is somewhat shaky including the loss of our quail hunting this year. Heck we may all be looking for a lease next year.

NRA Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by waterbug
DT,

Sorry to hear about the lease complications. You have a good group of guys on your lease - I hope things work out. Our lease isn't that far from yours and as you know, our situation is somewhat shaky including the loss of our quail hunting this year. Heck we may all be looking for a lease next year.

We'll all get together and find a big place with a LONG term lease and we'll all live happily everafter smile

DT

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Droptine
Originally Posted by waterbug
DT,

We'll all get together and find a big place with a LONG term lease and we'll all live happily everafter smile

DT

DT

That would be the ideal situation.

Paul

NRA Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am curious about leasing land in your part of the world. What does it typically run for cost by the acre?

Thx

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mark,

To quote some Project Managers I know - "it depends". I have seen the "hunting rights" that includes deer/turkey/dove/quail/duck/fishing that range from $4 per acre to more than $20 per acre. A lot of it depends on the quality of the land, the quality of improvements such as lodges/camphouses, the quality of the animals and how many people are involved in the transaction. That is to say that if you can lease directly from the landowner that you will likely pay less than if you lease from a broker/agent who leased from the person who leased the grass and hunting rights from the landowner.

It's not a perfect system in that you have to pay to hunt but it's what we have here due to the relative scarcity of public lands.

Paul

NRA Member
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That all depends on what all is included in the lease and the size of the lease and the location of the lease. Some of the south Tx brush country leases are bringing over $20 an acre but I would guess that on average leases are going for around $6 an acre for a yearly lease for all game.

DT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx guyz

Paul when you speak of the improvements are you saying that you get to stay in them at the ranch while you hunt?

Thx

Dober

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Dober,

It all depends on the ranch. There are some that have lodges for the the hunters, some that may have an old house that the hunters can use and others that do not even have power or water available. From my experience, the ranches with nice places for the hunters cost more money. Most places with lodges cater to the package hunt segment of the market but there are a few places where a nice lodge/camphouse is furnished for the entire season.

Paul

NRA Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thx

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Droptine
Hookemhorns says he gonna PUKE sick
Said he feels like someone kicked him in the nether regions.

DT
I am puking as well, and where are those best damn azzwipes when you need them.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 18,011 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,839
Posts18,537,220
Members74,047
Most Online19,248
15 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.