E
ewc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I love the krp thread.

I need some help with gravy.

If you don’t mind to share your recipe or give me some help, I’d be thankful.

Judd Cornell
Knoxville, TN

Family is from Louisiana, so spicy works. My grandmother and mom (bless them; they are deceased) were not great cooks.

So I’m here asking for help from the best.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ewc
I love the krp thread.

I need some help with gravy.

If you don’t mind to share your recipe or give me some help, I’d be thankful.

Judd Cornell
Knoxville, TN

Family is from Louisiana, so spicy works. My grandmother and mom (bless them; they are deceased) were not great cooks.

So I’m here asking for help from the best.

ewc,

If it has to do with food in any way, shape or form. This is the link to follow https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...s/36/1/food-cooking-and-game-preparation, and the place to be ,and learn, and share.

Miss Lynn

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
What kind of gravy?

For white gravy, heat some sausage grease or lard in a skillet; maybe 3 or 4 tablepoons. Stir in roughly the same amount of flour to make a paste. Now add about 3 cups of milk, and at high heat, stir continuously until it begins to boil. Keep stirring and turn it down to simmer until it thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.

Or you can buy a gravy mix packet and follow the directions.

Last edited by gregintenn; 10/21/20.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Before Frank Zappa was Zappa,

the theme from "Lumpy Gravy!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I made a good gravy tonight.

Cooked beef roast. Drained off fat.

Salt pepper....corn starch and water.

Reduce.

Add a little beef broth if not enough liquid.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’ve used the Pioneer Peppered Gravy Mix a bunch and it’s as good as any I’ve ever had. It’s a rich and creamy white country gravy that is fantastic on biscuits, chicken fried steak, and mashed potatoes.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good gravy can be had with just brown and water.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

- Del Gue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

- Del Gue
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
geedubya,

that is way cool. Don't think I've ever heard that before and now I know where the "Is this phase one of lumpy gravy" balloon on the back of the Mother's album comes from.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Being from the north Redeye gravy is still mistory.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I’ve used the Pioneer Peppered Gravy Mix a bunch and it’s as good as any I’ve ever had. It’s a rich and creamy white country gravy that is fantastic on biscuits, chicken fried steak, and mashed potatoes.

^^^ This ^^^

The Pioneer sausage flavor gravy is really good, too. I add a couple of cooked crumbled up 'extra sage' sausage patties into the gravy when it starts boiling and then pour it over four biscuits halved -- D-elicious!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Milk gravy is better made with a can of evaporated milk.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^

Fry the meat, lightly searing. Saute some onions, some bell pepper, some celery, add the roux, and some Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, add the meat with some water......cover and simmer until meat is tender. Serve over rice! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/21/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My grandmother made gravy with everything, for dinner we used plain white bread to mop it up, breakfast it was biscuits, I swear I remember her frying hamburgers and then making gravy, I think she did... they didn't waste a drop of food left in the pan as grease/drippings, they used it all to feed the family.

My wife makes great turkey and ham gravy, both, for thanksgiving, my daughter calls it the 'feast'. I strain the juice left in the roasting pans with a wire strainer into skillets, she adds flour and stirs as it thickens, adds water if needed after thickening, very easy and perfect.

Now fried meat gravy, white gravy, from drippings... bacon, sausage, steak, fried chicken, venison ect... a little more involved. What my grandmother and also the old hands in camp made. They called in pepper gravy, lots of black pepper and salt. Different than the white gravy you get in the restaurants as the roux, I guess it's called, is browned, the more browned the more flavor, I like to almost burn it, at least so you can smell it. much, much more flavor... and lots of pepper.

Bacon is the easiest to learn on as it has lots of grease, easy to make the roux, other meats if you don't have the grease in the pan you add bacon or vegetable oil to make the roux.

You need grease, flour, milk and salt/pepper, now sometimes in camp they would just use water if no milk and it was fine, I've never done it that way so my way is with milk.

Making gravy is heat control and feel, a couple times and you will have it, don't get discouraged, we all don't have a grandmother standing over us a couple times to help the learning process. Making the roux is the first step and it's pretty straight forward. Have enough grease to make a thin to medium paste for browning. For a couple to 4 people that would be enough to add a few heaping spoons of flour in and stir, keep stirring until desired brown.

Now comes the feel and heat, medium heat, as the milk hits the pan it will cool it down, if it's to hot the milk will boil over and turn into a clump. The flour needs to 'rise' or thicken but not to fast, if you add to much milk at first it will be runny.

You want enough milk at first to cool the pan down and be able to stir it all into a smooth runny mixture, about a minute later it should regain the heat and start to bubble, then thicken, you can almost see it rise, gain body, always stirring. Turn heat down when it bubbles, my stove has 10 numbers, I start at 5, medium and turn it down to 3 when it bubbles. Have the milk at hand and as it thicken add milk a little at a time, it'll cool the gravy then heat up, do it again if needed, always stirring, till it's your desired thickness and quits rising, add salt and pepper. Gravy should be light brown even though the roux was dark brown.

Feel and heat.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We ate a lot of hamburger gravy with rice and browned burger meat when growing up. Usually had some onions softened up in the grease before the gravy was made too. For poor folks food I sure thought it was a treat.............and still do.

Almost always had gravy or sauce of some kind at dinner. In some neighborhoods of NY spaghetti sauce is called gravy even. And always bread for cleaning one's plate. Usually white (Italian or French along with "Wonder" bread) but sometimes we'd have Hillbilly bread, again that was a real treat too.

My wife doesn't like gravy, so when I make some I get it ALL!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad
geedubya,

that is way cool. Don't think I've ever heard that before and now I know where the "Is this phase one of lumpy gravy" balloon on the back of the Mother's album comes from.

and then there was "Wavy Gravy"

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Gregintenn gives you the recipe for good gravy. Only thing I would add is to cook in cast iron. Stir the grease and flour with high heat till brown ( not quite burnt) then add milk and stir stir stir .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 22kHornet, 25aught6, 222ND, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,381
Posts18,527,543
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.