Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
My grandmother made gravy with everything, for dinner we used plain white bread to mop it up, breakfast it was biscuits, I swear I remember her frying hamburgers and then making gravy, I think she did... they didn't waste a drop of food left in the pan as grease/drippings, they used it all to feed the family.

My wife makes great turkey and ham gravy, both, for thanksgiving, my daughter calls it the 'feast'. I strain the juice left in the roasting pans with a wire strainer into skillets, she adds flour and stirs as it thickens, adds water if needed after thickening, very easy and perfect.

Now fried meat gravy, white gravy, from drippings... bacon, sausage, steak, fried chicken, venison ect... a little more involved. What my grandmother and also the old hands in camp made. They called in pepper gravy, lots of black pepper and salt. Different than the white gravy you get in the restaurants as the roux, I guess it's called, is browned, the more browned the more flavor, I like to almost burn it, at least so you can smell it. much, much more flavor... and lots of pepper.

Bacon is the easiest to learn on as it has lots of grease, easy to make the roux, other meats if you don't have the grease in the pan you add bacon or vegetable oil to make the roux.

You need grease, flour, milk and salt/pepper, now sometimes in camp they would just use water if no milk and it was fine, I've never done it that way so my way is with milk.

Making gravy is heat control and feel, a couple times and you will have it, don't get discouraged, we all don't have a grandmother standing over us a couple times to help the learning process. Making the roux is the first step and it's pretty straight forward. Have enough grease to make a thin to medium paste for browning. For a couple to 4 people that would be enough to add a few heaping spoons of flour in and stir, keep stirring until desired brown.

Now comes the feel and heat, medium heat, as the milk hits the pan it will cool it down, if it's to hot the milk will boil over and turn into a clump. The flour needs to 'rise' or thicken but not to fast, if you add to much milk at first it will be runny.

You want enough milk at first to cool the pan down and be able to stir it all into a smooth runny mixture, about a minute later it should regain the heat and start to bubble, then thicken, you can almost see it rise, gain body, always stirring. Turn heat down when it bubbles, my stove has 10 numbers, I start at 5, medium and turn it down to 3 when it bubbles. Have the milk at hand and as it thicken add milk a little at a time, it'll cool the gravy then heat up, do it again if needed, always stirring, till it's your desired thickness and quits rising, add salt and pepper. Gravy should be light brown even though the roux was dark brown.

Feel and heat.

Kent

This man right here knows his gravy. I'm leaking like Pavlov's dog reading this. Well done, Kent.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

Found a picture I posted awhile ago here.

I'll be making elk gravy for my dad up at the cabin this weekend, his mother, my grandmother was the one I learned from. He called me today to make sure I remembered to bring the elk meat, I made some elk b&g a month ago from some from last years for him, he wants fresh meat, at 89 he gets whatever I can do for him.

Kent

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

Found a picture I posted awhile ago here.

I'll be making elk gravy for my dad up at the cabin this weekend, his mother, my grandmother was the one I learned from. He called me today to make sure I remembered to bring the elk meat, I made some elk b&g a month ago from some from last years for him, he wants fresh meat, at 89 he gets whatever I can do for him.

Kent

Fuggin A.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kent, I need to meet up with you sometime and learn some of those B&G tricks from you. Been practicing rouxs and gravies and biscuits the past few months, I’m getting much better, but long ways to go still...

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We ate a lot of hamburger gravy with rice and browned burger meat when growing up. Usually had some onions softened up in the grease before the gravy was made too. For poor folks food I sure thought it was a treat.............and still do.

Almost always had gravy or sauce of some kind at dinner. In some neighborhoods of NY spaghetti sauce is called gravy even. And always bread for cleaning one's plate. Usually white (Italian or French along with "Wonder" bread) but sometimes we'd have Hillbilly bread, again that was a real treat too.

My wife doesn't like gravy, so when I make some I get it ALL!

That reminds me of one of our favorite trailer trash meals... we have several... tuna gravy on rice, wife requests it all the time, my mother's recipe.

Couple cans of tuna in oil, cut the lids then turn the cans upside down and squeeze the lids putting the oil in the pan. Add a pat of butter and melt/simmer for a minute. Add a spoon of flour, it won't get smooth and creamy like grease or brown, more clumpy, but let cook a couple minutes turning it around. Add milk like other gravy and then it'll smooth right out, get it done, add a half can of cream of mushroom soup for that much, stir in and let simmer, add the tuna/salt/pepper last, then cover over a rice bed.

It sounds ewwww but really good.

Kent

[Linked Image]

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sounds delicious.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What kind of gravy?

For white gravy, heat some sausage grease or lard in a skillet; maybe 3 or 4 tablepoons. Stir in roughly the same amount of flour to make a paste. Now add about 3 cups of milk, and at high heat, stir continuously until it begins to boil. Keep stirring and turn it down to simmer until it thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.

Or you can buy a gravy mix packet and follow the directions.

Teaspoon of red pepper flakes, just sayin'.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Valsdad
We ate a lot of hamburger gravy with rice and browned burger meat when growing up. Usually had some onions softened up in the grease before the gravy was made too. For poor folks food I sure thought it was a treat.............and still do.

Almost always had gravy or sauce of some kind at dinner. In some neighborhoods of NY spaghetti sauce is called gravy even. And always bread for cleaning one's plate. Usually white (Italian or French along with "Wonder" bread) but sometimes we'd have Hillbilly bread, again that was a real treat too.

My wife doesn't like gravy, so when I make some I get it ALL!

That reminds me of one of our favorite trailer trash meals... we have several... tuna gravy on rice, wife requests it all the time, my mother's recipe.

Couple cans of tuna in oil, cut the lids then turn the cans upside down and squeeze the lids putting the oil in the pan. Add a pat of butter and melt/simmer for a minute. Add a spoon of flour, it won't get smooth and creamy like grease or brown, more clumpy, but let cook a couple minutes turning it around. Add milk like other gravy and then it'll smooth right out, get it done, add a half can of cream of mushroom soup for that much, stir in and let simmer, add the tuna/salt/pepper last, then cover over a rice bed.

It sounds ewwww but really good.

Kent

[Linked Image]

Oh boy, i bet that is good. Reminds me of all the tuna noodle casseroles we ate............on Fridays

I'd make some, but I'd have to eat it all................and I'd likely try to down at least half in one sitting.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots a purdy gravies in here. Thought there were some down home southerners in this place.

Saturday Night Fever

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
y'all are going to have me figuring out something to cook tomorrow so's I can make some gravy!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Actually needing a recipe to make something as basic as gravy is pathetic. Using a mix is worse.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh lookie who joined the party...

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Actually needing a recipe to make something as basic as gravy is pathetic. Using a mix is worse.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've made all kinds of roux/gravies, but never have done the B&G thing !

crazy

blush

Soon !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Finally, a thread that's near & dear to so many of our hearts!

krp's treatise is excellent, & there's precious little to add. Naturally, I'll try to, nonetheless...

* You don't walk away from gravy. 1, it's delicious - you have to have it at every opportunity. 2, it won't cook itself. It will burn if left unattended, so plan to be able to stand at the skillet & stir it. I heard Emeril Lagasse talk about a, "2-beer roux", where you had to stir the roux for a particular dish until it was very well browned, & that took about as long as drinking 2 beers at a leisurely pace. i figure 5-10 minutes for a blonde roux, and 20+ if you want it dark brown & rich.

* I was told at a cooking class to remove the pan from the heat when adding ingredients. Heat the fat, remove to stir in the flour, then return to heat to cook the roux, then remove to stir in the liquid, then return to the heat to cook & thicken it. This is purported to cut down on lumps, and I've found it to work.

* Meat juices are preferable, but store-bought stock works fine, too. One can even make a damned fine gravy with just vegetable broth.

* If you really get into it, a gravy separator ain't all that expensive, & is handy as hell for separating the fat from the stock.

* Wondra flour resists lumping really well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If you're using all-purpose flour, sift it. If you're using corn starch... I guess you ran outa flour...

* Browning agents like these can be helpful, but go easy on 'em: a li'l dab'll do ya.

* Don't season the gravy 'til after it's thickened. I wait 'til I see bubbles.

Now... be sure to post the results of your trials.

Good luck,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Armednfree
What kind of gravy?

For white gravy, heat some sausage grease or lard in a skillet; maybe 3 or 4 tablepoons. Stir in roughly the same amount of flour to make a paste. Now add about 3 cups of milk, and at high heat, stir continuously until it begins to boil. Keep stirring and turn it down to simmer until it thickens. Salt and pepper to taste.

Or you can buy a gravy mix packet and follow the directions.

Teaspoon of red pepper flakes, just sayin'.

Sure, but there's enough red pepper in my hot sausage to negate the need for it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I cant' believe no one has mentioned Red Eye gravy yet!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I cant' believe no one has mentioned Red Eye gravy yet!

I think it is mother daughter confidence. If it violated you are banished to north or the Mason Dixon line.

E
ewc Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thank you to all of you that took the time to respond (except the n. Central Florida guy).

I appreciate all your help. Any of you ever in Knoxville and need something, please let me know.

Thanks-

Judd

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
My wife is a gravy master. Lots of practice.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,489
Posts18,490,354
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.