"We could tell that he was perhaps one hundred to one hundred and fifty feet away from us, but the bushes and weeds were so thick that we couldn't see him. The Rhino was evidently feeding, as we could hear him chewing, and as he walked, we could hear the twigs break under his feet. We followed this noise, making sure that we were on the side where the wind would not carry our scent towards him, as the rhino has a very keen sense of smell.

After having followed the rhino for at least half an hour, we came to a small clearing perhaps 100 feet in diameter, and there stood the rhino at one side of the clearing about 60 or 70 feet from us. We were in an excellent position to get a broadside shot at him. The guide had previously instructed me that whenever I got a shot at a rhinoceros to immediately give both barrels of the .470 rifle just as quickly as possible. So, I didn't waste any time in getting two shots in his front shoulder. He went down on the first shot, but I gave him the second one before he had a chance to roll over. Then, I immediately started reloading the rifle, and while doing so, the guide who was keeping watch, informed that another rhinoceros had walked into the clearing. However, in that my license only permitted on rhinoceros and the Doctor had stayed in camp, we were not permitted to shoot the other. So, we watched him for a minute, and inasmuch as he was getting quite excited, as he sensed that something was near, we gave the supposedly dead rhino another shot in the chest and immediately departed, leaving the rhino there until the next morning, hoping the second rhino would be gone by the time we got back.

Before leaving the native village that evening, we made arrangements to come back the net morning and have the native locate another rhinoceros for the Doctor."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.