Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Prayer sent from south Jersey that you'll heal and overcome this injury, and adapt so you can continue to do the things you enjoy.
When I was a teenager, I used to cut firewood with one of those saws running off an old Ford 8N. Always scared me.

This is a video I posted several years ago of my setup. After watching it just now it gave me chills watching how I handled the final cut of wood. Since then I have been much more careful but like I said even then accidents happen

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best of luck to you and sorry to hear that this happened.
Sawmill advice: Never put your fingers anywhere you wouldn't put your dick. Keeping that in mind has saved me several times. Unfortunately, I got that advice after I ran my hand through a pineapple gear.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Sendin up a prayer for ya.

This. Sorry to hear that, Irving. God bless. Man, sure glad you didnt lose the thumb and index finger.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the well wishes, I lost my index, middle, and ring finger. Overall I have been in very high spirits. I didn't have much ambition to buy a hunting license this year but after a week at deer camp relaxing and hanging out with the guys I am going to get back in the game, I figured out how to work the lever action and pull the trigger with my thumb with relative ease, my next step will be live ammo

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Crap. I missed that, Irving. Sorry.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
My uncle, a dead shot with a 30-30 94 for deer and a scoped Marlin lever 22 squirrel rifle, lost the use of his right eye in the Korean conflict and became a dead shot left handed in one season.

I Dindo Nuffin
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sorry to hear, Good luck to you, you’ll get through it.

Fück Joe byron
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Your saw set up scares me just looking at it. Hope you heal up as well as can be.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn buddy. Hope ya heal up quick.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My injury was a crushing, tearing thing. Virtually every bone in my right hand was broken and I lost 2/3 of the soft tissue on my hand. Two fingers were severed. One knuckle was broken off above and below and rotated 180 degrees. My wrist was crushed. The only thing untouched was my thumb although the first joint, at the base, was crushed and most of the web was missing. All in all, a bit of a mess. I had ten surgeries (bone grafts, skin grafts, pins and screws etc) over two months and nearly croaked from a gas gangrene infection. When I got out of the hospital, the first thing I did was take a rifle for a walk and started getting used to shooting left handed since it was plain I would never shoot right handed again. It was close to eight months before I could hold a pen to sign my name right handed. I remember having a discussion with the bank manager when they balked at cashing a check because my signature (signed left handed) didn't match. I believe I may have used the term dumass. I regained much of the feeling in my fingers after about two years and adapted to doing things a little differently; using my thumb to hook the brake lever on the motorcycle and run the throttle on the chainsaw. Casting left handed. I built an addition on our trailer house and tried to use what was left of my hand as much as possible. Went to work pulling lumber on the green chain at the mill. As the years passed, I did whatever I wanted to and ignored the injury as much as I could. I started motocross racing, I played men's league basketball, I resumed recreational boxing. I started gunsmithing professionally about three years after my injury and most will say I'm fairly capable. There are some things which bug me. I don't like shaking hands (Covid has helped in this regard!). It's hard to put a glove on. Scissors don't work left handed. I sometimes dream I can open my hand up and it's always a disappointment when I wake up and can't.
I have still, after 47 years, have never bought a LH rifle or action and still shoot RH rifles off the left shoulder. When I shoot prone, with a sling, I wallow around like a scrawny hog between shots but I get it done. I like single shots!
Now, in my seventies, my whole body hurts so I don't even notice the pain in my hand anymore. Being old and having poor eyesight is more of a handicap than the hand ever was! Life is good. GD

Last edited by greydog; 10/26/20.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The older I get the less I want to be around dangerous things. I can't walk up to the edge of a cliff at all anymore. No more jumping off bridges, diving in rocky creeks, jumping dirt bikes, chasing blacktail deer into the cliffs.

YEP I AGREE ! and for you young guys pick`in up a lady at a bar " which i did too in the old days " BEWARE.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Prayer sent from south Jersey that you'll heal and overcome this injury, and adapt so you can continue to do the things you enjoy.
When I was a teenager, I used to cut firewood with one of those saws running off an old Ford 8N. Always scared me.

This is a video I posted several years ago of my setup. After watching it just now it gave me chills watching how I handled the final cut of wood. Since then I have been much more careful but like I said even then accidents happen

That's a lot like the set-up I used on the farm, minus the guard! In the winter months I'd take it out into the woods and cut firewood for the sweet potato hot-beds. Scary stuff for a 16 year old. Wonder what OSHA would've said?
Hope your healing process is coming along.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Irving_D

That's a lot like the set-up I used on the farm, minus the guard! In the winter months I'd take it out into the woods and cut firewood for the sweet potato hot-beds. Scary stuff for a 16 year old. Wonder what OSHA would've said?
Hope your healing process is coming along.

Growing up we never had a guard or a tractor my dad would Jack up the car and put the belt around a wheel without the tire on it, scared the hell out of me. This one is a hell of a lot safer sometimes even that's not enough. The healing process has been going as good as it can go trying like hell to keep my spirits up which for the most part I have been pretty successful at

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm sorry that happened to you. Good luck with the recovery.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hoping you heal up fast and figure it all out.

I have a younger brother who was born without his right hand, he laughed at me when I had shoulder surgery, but sat down and taught me how to tie my shoes with one hand, said you have to play the cards you are dealt...

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for sharing your experience. It always helps to be reminded of how quickly things can go bad. I hope I can maintain my focus as necessary for whatever time Ive got left. I dont do ladders anymore--cost benefit analysis says no. Same with table saws. And motorcycles. Bicycles will be next. Guns are so easy by comparison--just point the muzzle in a safe direction and open the chamber. Good luck with your recovery!

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by greydog
My injury was a crushing, tearing thing. Virtually every bone in my right hand was broken and I lost 2/3 of the soft tissue on my hand. Two fingers were severed. One knuckle was broken off above and below and rotated 180 degrees. My wrist was crushed. The only thing untouched was my thumb although the first joint, at the base, was crushed and most of the web was missing. All in all, a bit of a mess. I had ten surgeries (bone grafts, skin grafts, pins and screws etc) over two months and nearly croaked from a gas gangrene infection. When I got out of the hospital, the first thing I did was take a rifle for a walk and started getting used to shooting left handed since it was plain I would never shoot right handed again. It was close to eight months before I could hold a pen to sign my name right handed. I remember having a discussion with the bank manager when they balked at cashing a check because my signature (signed left handed) didn't match. I believe I may have used the term dumass. I regained much of the feeling in my fingers after about two years and adapted to doing things a little differently; using my thumb to hook the brake lever on the motorcycle and run the throttle on the chainsaw. Casting left handed. I built an addition on our trailer house and tried to use what was left of my hand as much as possible. Went to work pulling lumber on the green chain at the mill. As the years passed, I did whatever I wanted to and ignored the injury as much as I could. I started motocross racing, I played men's league basketball, I resumed recreational boxing. I started gunsmithing professionally about three years after my injury and most will say I'm fairly capable. There are some things which bug me. I don't like shaking hands (Covid has helped in this regard!). It's hard to put a glove on. Scissors don't work left handed. I sometimes dream I can open my hand up and it's always a disappointment when I wake up and can't.
I have still, after 47 years, have never bought a LH rifle or action and still shoot RH rifles off the left shoulder. When I shoot prone, with a sling, I wallow around like a scrawny hog between shots but I get it done. I like single shots!
Now, in my seventies, my whole body hurts so I don't even notice the pain in my hand anymore. Being old and having poor eyesight is more of a handicap than the hand ever was! Life is good. GD

That really helped put it into perspective thanks for the insight I am glad life is good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear this!
But! You can do this. I learned write left handed after my stroke, I shot left handed the first year. It will be hard but you can do it!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry this happened to you.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Holy chit, I hate reading this.

Prayers from Colorado.

If anyone here saw me working a table saw they would laugh at me and call me a chicken chit. And, I am behind that blade.

When I was young I watched a 2x4 kick back miss my highly experienced grandfather's chest by 2 inches, and drive though the garage half way into the kitchen.

Even HE was shaken up.

Get well soon!

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,517
Posts18,509,595
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.