Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 116 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 115 116
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I took this sport up a couple months ago and I couldn't believe the number of parallels between hunting and shooting.

I play four to five days a week since the Believers shut down my local USPSA. It has been a fine substitute.

Does anybody else here love golf?

Have you been stung by a bee between the first and second hole yet?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by fester
If i play my slice I’m doing good.
Putting meh.
Can’t drive off the tee to save my life.

I had nobody to really help me get started but I do have a friend around Chicago that's exceptionally good and plays all the time.

I asked him which club to start with, he recommended the nine iron. Once I got that down at the driving range I moved all the way up to the four and played only irons for about a month.

LOL

I actually think I benefited from that because I was only learning one type of swing and then slowly incorporating other clubs.

But I still suck.

I'm going to have to try the Iron method. I am a novice and don't play much but I love it when I do. I play for the fun and laughing at myself and making others laugh is what I'm good at when it comes to golf. lol I'm horrible with the exception of my short game. I can actually putt pretty good.

I really want to be good at the game because it is such a good feeling when you finally hit a good shot with a driver that doesn't slice in to the tulies.
told flave the 9 iron was all you need.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to hit one ball a day out into the horse pasture with my old 3 wood. Teed it up from my dirt two track driveway with my faithful retriever watching. One swing and away she'd go. 200 yards into the tall grass couldn't stop her. She'd drop that ball back where it was hit from every time.

That was the only golf I played for several years. Probably the most fun too.

God Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Etoh
say what you want but

There is no such thing as a "bad" golf day.

anytime friends can hang out and drink beer is a good day.

Last edited by stxhunter; 10/23/20.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by stxhunter
say what you want but

anytime friends can hang out and drink beer is a good day.

True Dat!

Some of the most fun you can have is a bunch of buddies leaning over a pickup box with a few cases of beer inside and shooting the chidt on a nice day.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Geez. If somebody ever intentionally runs me down from behind on a golf course they'll get a 5 iron upside the head. That's bs.

Carts are all schits and giggles till someone gets hurt. I was once playing in a big golf tournament put on by a local radio station. Booze was flowing all day, lunch, dinner and prizes, free shots at the tee boxes, got a massage on one hole, it was a great time. The tournament was wrapping up and the parking lot was busy with guys putting their clubs away and changing shoes. Suddenly these two guys in a cart come bombing into the parking lot hauling ass and drunkenly tried to put the cart into a broad slide right next to us. He rolled it hard right there on the asphalt right on top of his friend's head. We got the cart back up on it's wheels and this poor guy was hurt bad. Knocked out cold with his teeth knocked out. He had to be life flighted out of there. Rough day of golf.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Have you been stung by a bee between the first and second hole yet?

Always funny.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
say what you want but

Lemme beg to differ for a minute.

When I was about 10-12 my dad and his best friend would try to sneak away once a month or so to the local course and shoot a round of golf. They were both pretty terrible but liked to go get away from the wife and kids and drink a couple cold beers on a nice afternoon. Me and my dad’s buddy’s kid would beg to go hang with them and they’d give in and let us occasionally. Once we’d get there we’d beg and plead to drive the carts, we had no interest in golf but getting to drive anything is awesome when you’re 11.

So one day we’d weaseled our way into going and had even talked them into letting us drive. All was going swimmingly until about the 6th hole. Dad hits a nice one straight down the fairway and hops back into the cart and tells me to take him down to his ball. We buzz down there and I park the cart approximately 7 inches from his ball. He gets a club and tells me to get the damn cart out of his way, what am I an idiot? What happened next is as clear as if it were yesterday.

I cut the wheel all the way to the left and floored it, making a big circle around to end up behind the old man. Meanwhile he’s taken his club and assumed the position and I pull up behind him. Stomped the brake at which point my greasy old flip flop slides off my foot and I tromp the gas. Ran smack into the Old Man, he never saw it coming. He flew through the windshield doubled over and landed wedged between the front of the seat and the dashboard with his legs and head sticking out the front of the cart. I’m jerking the wheel like a madman in a total panic all the while standing on the gas going as fast as the cart will take us down the fairway while Pop cusses a blue streak telling me to “Stop this Fuchking thing!”

His buddy and his kid were laughing their asses off. Sprained the schit out of Dad’s wrist, spilled his beer all over my lap. He was one mad Mofo. Then since his wrist was fugged and he’d paid for 18 he made me play the rest of the course. I think having to play and be serious was the worst punishment I could have got, I just knew that he was going to whip my ass if I fugged up.

Looking back 20 years later I can still picture the whole thing and I laugh my ass off every time I think about it. The Old Man still doesn’t think it was funny 😄

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it's funny!

God Bless America
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It's an accuracy game and it's not a team sport so I have fun with golf but I'm not terribly serious about any "game".

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As I've said here not so long ago, I just started last August.

I just bought a new set of Ping 410's (I liked the Callaway's better but the Pings were much less at the time) with a 410 Driver and a new Ping putter. I got a 3 and 4 420 Hybred but no woods, can't hit a wood to save my azz. I'm still getting used to them. Started last year with a set of Tour Edge cavity backs and a Taylor Made M2 driver. Gave them to my son when I got the new clubs. Still getting used to the new ones and I still suck but I take a flask of Whiskey with me every time I go and have a great time.

I have back issues and need surgery so I am pretty worn out after 18 holes but I've done 36 before. Usually drunk by the end though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
While attending one the boys all-star baseball games......a fellow Dad (dentist) pulled up in his golf cart, after being at the local country club.

While I gave him the game update......unknown to me, two other Dad's unbuckled his clubs from the rear of the cart.

After impressing everyone.....Dad took off for the golf course again.......spilling/spreading all his expensive clubs all over Sunnyside Ave.

Felt bad for him.

A terrible story......but I told it so well.

LMAO

I saw a clan of dudes pull that on a guy the other day around the 16th hole. Late afternoon, and they were smashed.

I could not stop laughing.

About three weeks ago a bunch of us were up in Erie to fish for steelhead, we also golf a bunch on this trip.

First time out on the course my buddy's dad was riding with me, we had five of us. After the turn another buddy of mine, the guy that was riding with me's nephew took his clubs and put them on my other friends cart insinuating that I was driving my cart too radical for him to be riding with me. It was all in fun and we all laughed about it.

Well after Teeing off on 10 we drove up and after looking for a ball my friend with by buddy's dads clubs on his cart came driving over to help me. He stops and takes off and my buddy's dads clubs go flying off the cart. I laughed and picked them up and put them back on his cart. He drives away and I look down and there laying in the grass is about 6 inches of club with the head of the driver attached to it. Broke the driver right off the shaft. Couldn't believe it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The son of a hunting bud was riding passenger side on a golf cart.

He got popped in the forehead on the first bounce of a bad slice.

Driver said he heard a pop, Brad slumped against him.....and started singing while half unconscious.

By the time they got back to the club house.......looked like a golf ball under his skin.

He woke up complaining about the ice on his pop-knot.

Yep......lots of similarities to hunting.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

About three weeks ago a bunch of us were up in Erie to fish for steelhead, we also golf a bunch on this trip.

Where'd yins golf in Erie?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42

Where'd yins golf in Erie?

Green Meadows outside of North East, a lot of it is narrow but it's a nice course. And Downing municipal golf course in Harborcreek, I thought it was a real nice course.

We stay at Dohler Cottages at 20 mile and fish the mouth of 20 mile the last week of September every year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I took this sport up a couple months ago and I couldn't believe the number of parallels between hunting and shooting. I play four to five days a week since the Believers shut down my local USPSA. It has been a fine substitute. Does anybody else here love golf?
Started playing golf when young - love the game - but no longer play - have not done so for over 20 years. Also have done a ton of hunting and shooting since the early 1960s and the golf parallels you mention seem to have been lost on me. Would you care to state your evidence of such?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
lots of golf jokes.

why are there no 1 irons.
not even God can hit a 1 iron.

man and wife golfers just tee off
one says to the other "theres something Ive got to tell you"

other golfer says "what"
wife says " I got a sex change before we met"

man was so pissed he didn't say anything the hole

teeing off on the text, he jumped in her face

you son of a bitche --- you've been teeing from the reds all these years.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RJY66
Used to play quite a bit and was pretty nuts about it as a kid and young adult. I was decent. Never had an official handicap but a good day was a 79, a great day a little lower and a bad day was 85-87. Never broke par. To get much better than I was you really would have to practice and play A LOT.

Two things happened. 1) My golf buddies got married or moved. 2) I was taken deer hunting and killed one......after that for years all I wanted to do was hunt deer. Plus I had to fit in some time for fishing. I drifted away from it and have probably played 5 times in the last decade.

Anyway, there are certainly a lot of similarities between shooting sports and golf. I've never done trap, skeet or sporting clays but by all appearances it ain't nothing but golf with a shotgun. Much the same psychology involved and the same need to focus and concentrate.

I see less similarities with shotgunning than pistol and rifle.

But either way, it's a fun.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rooster7

I'm going to have to try the Iron method. I am a novice and don't play much but I love it when I do. I play for the fun and laughing at myself and making others laugh is what I'm good at when it comes to golf. lol I'm horrible with the exception of my short game. I can actually putt pretty good.

I really want to be good at the game because it is such a good feeling when you finally hit a good shot with a driver that doesn't slice in to the tulies.

It works in my opinion.

If you really break down a 350ish par four, and you're struggling with the driver, it just makes sense to ditch it and stay consistent with your irons.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BayouRover
So, flave, do you have a handicap yet or did you just jump straight to being a scratch golfer?

Roughly.

I started out a 30 and now I'm at a 12.

#sucks

Page 14 of 116 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 115 116

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Akhutr, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.