Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

Top 3

1) Pine Martin that owned the deer carcass i was checking out - came through the pine at face level snarling, and nashing his team.. scary SOB.

2) Lightning below me when I was trout fishing in Estes park... hell of a storm lighting above / around / below me..

3) Hail & Tornado storm in KS - Sky turned Opal green / white... 75 mph winds, lightning, Chit went sideways fast...

Runner up - Lightning Snow.. while pheasant hunting in Goodland KS, literally saw sparks coming off the gun barrels .. just weird [bleep]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've never seen anything scary in the woods. It's cities that are scary.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
A waterspout coming at you on the ocean will give you a fright when you are in a small boat.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stophel
I've never seen anything scary in the woods. It's cities that are scary.

this

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeanMan
A waterspout coming at you on the ocean will give you a fright when you are in a small boat.

thats not the woods i've'd had a clinched butt more than once offshore.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A very recently used poacher camp in Arkansas inbred country. I'm not particularly fond of the idea of being asked to squeal like a pig, no matter how nicely I'm asked, so I high-tailed it outta' there.

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/23/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Helicopter looking for the guy who shot the 22 inch 11 point buck I was busy gutting. As in, moi.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/23/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mountain lion track, in my boot track, about 15 yards behind my coyote calling stand.
Up a windmill tower when lightning struck ~ 50 yards away ( don't remember ever touching a ladder rung all the way down ) smile
Coming out of the brush, on a 4 wheeler, right between a bear sow and her 2 cubs.
Ticked off bull, on the fight, in the brush - we (bull, horse, and me ) went 'round and 'round for the best part of 30 minutes.

Forgot winding up in south Chicago - buses shut down -taxis shut down. The bald cancer patient, and the cowboy, didn't blend in well.

Last edited by mark shubert; 10/23/20. Reason: forgot

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trout fishing as a youngster in Banff National Park, I was on my knees, creekside, turning over rocks looking for hellgrammites . . . heard a grunting sound behind me, looked back and saw a big brown bear, 10 feet away, with his snoot in the air sniffing me out.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
A pissed off, slobbering. bellering, holstein bull at the base of the tree he chased me up. Second was the shotgun slug hole that suddenly appeared two feet over my head in the tree I was leaning against.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Another NOTHING in the woods.

Lightning while I was in a boat.
Trees don’t give shelter from lightning...quite the reverse
Ever heard of lightning rods ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Either cougars or trees falling all around in a windstorm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We were at about 7,000 ft in a old abandon 1800s cabin looking out the glassless window when Lighting struck about 100 yards away during a summer mountain thunderstorm, It stripped the bark off in a 5 or 6 foot diameter Ponderosa pine in two places 4-6 inches wide from the top into the ground.

The flash and accompanying noise was tremendous and it killed the tree

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
For me, black bear. Late one afternoon .. maybe call it late evening, not dark but dimming .. I'd gone cross country then hit a major backpacking trail which I was using to head for home on. I knew the area well. In a small opening with a lot of brush there was a log end or stump where I didn't recall one being. Gave me a bad feeling. I slung my contender and pulled the S&W 629. As I got closer I could see it was not a stump, it was a big bear's head protruding out into the trail. With the heavy blackberry brush, there was only about a foot of clearance between it's nose and the brush. Fugger would not move. Didn't assert itself, just stood it's ground. I thumbed the hammer back and went by that bear with the muzzle about an inch from hair figuring if it jumped the gun would go off and maybe do some good. It never moved, just followed me with its eyes. Scared the living sh*t out of me. Growing up in that bear preserve, seeing sometimes a dozen in a day, I know a thing or three about them ... and I f**king hate them.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm afraid this poor bastard's got us all beat:

Last edited by High_Noon; 10/23/20.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Another NOTHING in the woods.

Lightning while I was in a boat.
Trees don’t give shelter from lightning...quite the reverse
Ever heard of lightning rods ?

Yep - I was told to Get into cover (rock ledge) and put one foot on top of the other and don’t touch chit... that creates a path across your torso...

Any 2 points you touch = a path for lightning, and it’s 50k volts per inch (so your 18” stance = enough potential across your feet to go up and a across you heart to knock you out and kill ya)... Elk die because of it time to time.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 10/23/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve never seen anything “scary” in the woods... just the usual course of nature, lightning storms to grizzly bears.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Water spout coming at me and my brother from the gulf while camped out at the confluence of Cedar Bayou and the Gulf while on Matagordo Island.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Had a pine Martin climbing up one of the tree poles of the moose stand I was sitting in. Got within 15 feet of before I told him to fuq off.

Walking a dry riverbed in South Africa hunting warthog. Came around a bend in the river and the guide and tracker start backing up, really fast. Look up and there’s a male Rhino 30 yards from us.

We backed off another 20 and I took some pics, while Mr. Rhino was kinda off-set to us. When he turned to face us directly, we knew it was time to go.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 10/23/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Muzzle flashes and green tracers coming from the tree line.

Semper Fi

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.