Originally Posted by superlight17b
My ex wife.

+1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A couple guys, all dressed in Blaze Orange, parked at the end of a tote road, loading the rifles and getting ready to head into the deer woods.

They had Florida plates.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't know about scared - startled certainly. I'm sure the adrenaline rush and elevated heart rate didn't last more than 10 minutes or so.

Fresh 6 inch dump of snow on top of older 18 inches or so. Fluffy, flat, pristine, unmarked snow cover. Dead calm, nothing showing or moving as I plowed through it.

Peaceful......

About half a dozen grouse simultaneously exploded out of the snow all around me.

Durned near left yellow and/or brown stains on all that nice white snow. smile

Last edited by las; 10/23/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A bit of a scare the first time I crossed my own trail. Heavy rainforest, got turned around which is not hard as visibility is only a few yards. I remember thinking who made all this mess walking through here, then it hit me lol. Luckily had a major feature nearby, a river I could compass towards, so it was a lesson that wasnt learnt too hard

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Grizz

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Easy, coastal brown bear bawling and snarling through the alder thicket. Can't even imagine what 2nd place was.

Oops, I was thinking "heard" not seen.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/24/20.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Tstorm1
Originally Posted by superlight17b
My ex wife.

+1

Never met her, but, sounds like one of mine though.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was hiking through the woods in West Virginia and came across these two scary looking dudes with really really bad teeth they had some shiny white boy bent over on his knees making him squeal like a pig. There was Dueling Banjo music in the background.

West Virginia is a scary damn place. Y'all best look for land in Montana.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
BillyGoatGruff

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I came between a black bear sow and her cub totally by accident one time. She came at me on a dead run. If she'd wanted me dead, I wouldn't be writing this today. I'm convinced there's few things in this world that can rival the fury of a protective mamma bear.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Opening day of Elk season. Humping up the mountain at 5am, 1/2 mile into dark timber, with 6" of fresh snow. Come around a bend in the trail and see fresh cat tracks coming out of a tree and going up the hill, in my direction. Tracks were big enough that a .375H&H cartridge easily fit inside the pug mark without touching the sides. Two to three minute gut check before proceeding with a "heightened sense of alertness"...

Reading above, glad to see that I am not the only one who gets uneasy when there is a kitty in the area...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Ex.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A Kodiak Brown that was probably north of 1000 pounds. After that is was probably the time I accidentally schidt on my coveralls.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/24/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nitwits coming up the mountain late and using their rifle scope on me to see if I was an Orange elk.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I was a kid walking to my tree stand opening day and pretty dark. I kicked up a turkey .......

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Scary isn't the right word. I ended up sandwiched between a cow moose and her calf in RMNP. That was a tense few seconds.

Seeing my first grizzly is something I'll never forget. Grew up reading everything I could and finally found one in yellowstone feeding on an elk carcass. What a powerful and impressive critter. It owned the woods and it knew it.

The worst situation I ever was in I fell through some ice during a January deer hunt here in Ohio. After finally getting myself drug out I had a long cold walk to get back to the truck. Stripped nearly everything off when I got there and blasted the heater.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another one... Hiking pikes peak. Felt like every hair on my body stood on end. I don't know how close to getting struck by lightning that is. But certainly closer than I wanted to be.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year while hunting. New smart phone suddenly buzzed, showed a news alert w/Pelosi's face on the screen.

Beyond that horrendous shock, 300+ black bear exploding out from under some hemlocks while I was sitting in a small clearing during deer season years ago. Heard something coming full tilt boogie up above me. Branches snapping, rocks rolling down the wooded slope and there it was, maybe 30 feet in front of me. Guys were pushing that mostly dense hemlock slope, kicked the bear out ahead of 'em. Had already been a few doe come past, long before the bruin showed up..

Third scariest thing, tree limbs snapping off in a sudden wind storm one morning. Decided I'd been out long enough.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
more than once i was out in the woods in scary weather. heavy winds, big trees falling, etc. almost hurricane conditions one time. not fun. and a few years ago i had 3 bear cubs within about 20 feet of me and a big old sow standing on her hind legs bellowing at me. i was closer to the cubs than she was. meanwhile i had a 22 rifle.

My diploma is a DD214
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Shawl granny on LZ Saunders and her human silhouette upper body buddies looking at me from behind trees in area 50 as I was walking in one morning about an hour before shooting light.
It got to the point where I just sat down with my back against a big ole oak.
TC 50 cal renegade cocked, set trigger pulled waiting on it to get light enough to walk out and leave the place.
I dont hunt that spot in the mornings .
Refuse to walk in their in the dark.
I might hit it once or twice a year in midday.

Caused me to scout new ground in area 50 about 1.5 miles NW of "AO scary".......

Laugh if ya will.
IDC....

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.