Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A whole bunch of "That's Gay!!" experts here. Maybe I'm on the wrong forum.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought my first 270 around 1976 in Flagstaff. Since then I’ve bought one for each of my sons when they got old enough to hunt and bought myself the 700 Ti the first year it came out. Since then numerous deer and elk have been taken by the 3 of us. Last count my son did it was around 36+ elk in the last 40+ years.

The first time I ever heard about 270=gay was on this forum. Hmmmmmm?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would not have imagined such, but are you trying to signal that all of you are gay successful hunters?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .270 is not gay just the people who shoot it.LOL Just kiddding!

I grew up reading Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith.I leaned more towards the Keith school of thought.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." **Benjamin Franklin**
D
denton Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Laffin'......

The 270 is gay stuff was started by insecure 7x57 fanciers.

Years ago, I really "needed" a 7x57, and one came my way. That was nice.

So I started working up loads for the 7x57, and comparing with other cartridges. Turned out that ballistically, the 270 and the 7x57 are awfully close, much more so than I had supposed. Loaded to modern pressures, the 7x57 seems to do a very little better with heavier bullets (I shoot 160s), and the 270 is a little faster with lighter bullets.

JOC's wife used the 7x57 to very good effect in Africa. I suppose that might have influenced his thinking on the 270. Is it a stretched 7x57, or is it a necked down 30-06?

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 19352012
My .270 is totally gay. It plays this song for me all the time. It loves the 150 RN corelokts so it must be kind of a chubby chaser as well.
Clever - nicely played. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
Would not have imagined such, but are you trying to signal that all of you are gay successful hunters?

Jeeez. Can’t win with you guys. wink

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
At one point, I asked how folks could determine if a given chambering was "gay." Ingwe gave me the following test: "Google it. See what images come up." When I googled "Will the 270 WIN make me gay?" I got something like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I did the same for 30-06, I got a lot of pictures of guys standing over dead animals, dead Germans, dead Japanese, and none of them looked in the least bit gay.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark

Jeeez. Can’t win with you guys. wink
Nah - you already won - just pokin' fun.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
What's the Pope say about the .270 ?

He say,,,”aww, hell yeah”.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
At one point, I asked how folks could determine if a given chambering was "gay." Ingwe gave me the following test: "Google it. See what images come up." When I googled "Will the 270 WIN make me gay?" I got something like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When I did the same for 30-06, I got a lot of pictures of guys standing over dead animals, dead Germans, dead Japanese, and none of them looked in the least bit gay.

I wonder if the gentlemen in the picture are discussing......favorite loads...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Or successfully gay hunters?

I’m probably going to replace that 17 “ ‘06 barrel on the RU77 “Stub” with standard length take-off in 270 if I can get to it this winter. Because I can.... and it might be a little more suitable for my wife. The stock is already configured for her.

A bit less recoil and muzzle blast...... tho she handles it in “stub”.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll admit I'm recoil shy, and pretty happy guy. Tried to go to a 7mmMag twice over the years but sold both of them. I found the 270 kills just fine. I also use a 7mm08 quite a bit.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
BTW: I don't know if y'all know it, but for the last. . . oh, I'd say 15 years or so whenever you Google "Is 270 WIN gay?" and look at the text entries and not the images, you'll find that 24hourcampfire.com is the top source for this. Campers are virtually obsessed with this question. It also absent entirely from other forums.

Why is this?

Furthermore, why don't we do something about it? For my part, I try and do my part, occasionally buying 270 WIN brass and running it through a 25-06 sizer. However, if the dedicated gun loonies on here would make a concerted effort, something might be accomplished:

1) What are the best chamberings for making a 270 WIN straight? There should be an easily available reamer out there that will turn a 6.8-03 into something less flouncy.
2) Why aren't there more articles out there warning about the dangers of buying your sons a 270 WIN? We need to staunch this early.
3) The campfire should form a society for the reduction of gayness in rifles. We need to come up with a rational set of criteria for determining whether a rifle is gay and then make a concerted effort to educate the public.
4) I don't think semi-annual threads on the campfire are enough. Folks, we need action. We've already seen what the introduction of the 6.5 CM has done to this discussion. There is probably more of this sort of thing coming.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I heard the folks that bought out Remington are making a new "rainbow" box design for their 270 ammo!!!!! Thanks to all to CF meddlers.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Useless at 250 yards from a Montana no less... My last hunt with my 25 years of hunting buddy turned 72 and found he was done. With that, we were done. Outside Leadville at 11000+ feet. I scored early AM of the opening second season.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I'm guessing those 3 pics didn't even come close to summing up all those years with your buddy. Thanks for sharing.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've never been one to judge but I was somewhat alarmed when our range put in a safe area for 6.5 Crymore shooters for those times when they were exposed to masculine rounds such as the 300 and 375 H&H and the exceedingly masculine 400 Whelen. Apparently the report of the 400 is enough to send them scurrying for the safe area, huddled together for comfort and face timing their grief counselors. grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=mathman]The 270 is gay stuff was started by insecure 7x57 fanciers. The 6.5 Creedmoor is gay stuff is pushed by 300 mag user deer hunters who are compensating for something. Both groups are probably projecting as well.

Hornet nest stirred? Check! laugh

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

YOU are on IGNORE ! ! ! mad

whistle

laugh laugh

jwall---ur Xfriend grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a corallary question regarding 270 gayness.

What happens if my #1 granddaughter gets exposed to the 270 WIN? Is this going to be a corrupting influence? How does this work? I know a lot of guys around here buy their female family members 270 WIN, but I'm wondering if this is a good thing?

If us guys, (gramps, dad, unc, etc.) handle the firearm and load for it, is there something we can do to minimize the effects?

My surmise is that we should stick with known manly chamberings. How do we stand on 7mm-08?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never had a problem with anybody using the .270 or the 6.5, but I knew this thread was gonna be a hoot to read! grin
I will say that the ought six is the king, though. Best all around rifle chambering anywhere in the world.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.